Start by marking “The Life with God Bible NRSV--Old Testament” as Want to Read:
The Life with God Bible NRSV--Old Testament

The Life with God Bible NRSV--Old Testament

4.57  ·  Rating details ·  231 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Life with God Bible combines the depth of a study Bible with the warmth of a devotional Bible, offering a new way to discover the full riches of the Scriptures. According to Richard Foster, bestselling author and the project′s editor, the Bible is all about human life "with God." As we read Scripture, we should consider how God is with us in each story and allow oursel ...more
ebook, 2048 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Life with God Bible NRSV--Old Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life with God Bible NRSV--Old Testament

Donna
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Update, Dec. 12, 2010: I've read the entire Bible!

Obviously, this is a long-term project. So far, I've read Genesis, Matthew, Ezra, Acts, Nehemiah, Mark, Esther, Romans, Job, Exodus, Luke, 1 Corinthians, Leviticus, John, Proverbs, 2 Corinthians, Numbers, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Psalms, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, Deuteronomy, Isaiah, James, Joshua, 1 Peter,
Judges, 2 Peter, Jeremiah, 1 John,
Chris
Nov 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible is formatted like a lot of study Bibles. It has chapter introductions, study notes at the bottom of each page, and occasional text boxes in the midst of the text. What is different is the intent. As I understand it, this Bible is an attempt to bring a combination of contemporary Biblical scholarship and suggested spiritual practices to the reader seeking to be changed by the scripture.

All of the scriptural books are grouped in larger sections, each with an
Nancy
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is truly the finest bible I have ever encountered. The margin notes and essays are really wonderful. They call me to examine myself and the scripture I am reading. I am drawn deeper in to the text and closer to the Divine.

In my Quaker meeting we call these kind of notes "queries". Questions without answers but that cause us to ponder more fully and explore more deeply our thoughts and feelings. It is sustaining and uplifting to meditate on these queries. They bring the bible alive.

With this
Kris
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I bought this as a gift for all the college graduates in my college ministry a few years ago. It continued to be something of a fashion for the serious followers of Jesus in my ministry to get their hands on this incredible resource. Then one of my students actually went out and bought me one. I was elated. I hope to use it for many years to come. The downside is that it's pretty bulky for a Bible. It's not real handy. But it is definitely great as a desk resource or to be used in th quiet momen ...more
Steve
First, what is spiritual formation? As defined in the introduction, "Spiritual formation" is the process of transforming the inner reality of the self (the "inward being" of the psalmist) in such a way that the overall with-God life seen in the Bible naturally and freely comes to pass in us. It's wesome! Jessica inspired me to read through the Bible like she and Andy are doing right now. I am following the same reading plan called Eat this Book from the YouVersion Bible on my phone. Ironically, ...more
Joel
Dec 31, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
we received this from Mom Miller for Christmas. Actually, we have the Catholic version with the apocrypha (same price) but it doesn't show up on the Goodreads book choices. The intro by Richard Foster and the general editors is a nice intro to the "with-God life"- a term that they use throughout the commentary. I also like Foster's explanation of why the NRSV is a great version to use- ecumenical, accurate, good English flow, etc. If you could just buy or read the intro, you could use it with wh ...more
Nancy
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish that Zondervan would bring this book back into print. It has by far the best bible notes I have ever read. They really take you deeper into the scriptures and help you to come closer the the Divine. I have given many copies to friends and family. I have both the NIV translation as well as the NRSV. They are both terrific. I wish I could get this on my iPad or Kindle too. It would be great to be able to have it with me.
Karin
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: daily-readers
I own so many Bibles, always looking for the one that's just right. This may be it! Or at least it's right for me right now. My history in Bibles: The Bible as Literature, the King James, the Scofield NIV, the Recovery Bible, the Oxford New Revised Standard, the Lutheran NSRV, and now, this version of the NSRV with its emphasis on spiritual formation.
Beth
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solitude and Silence, Frugality and Fasting, Secrecy and Sacrifice, Study and Prayer, Service and Submission, Worship and Celebration, Fellowship and Confession...
I have the version with the Apocrypha though. Not sure it's the "protestant version"...as a matter of fact I don't think it is. BUt it's great.
Maggie
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this translation and the manageable amount of notes. Just as I read and wonder "what in the hizzy heck does that mean?" I will notice the note below. Good reflection questions make me want to read more and read again.
Suzanne
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. Well written introductions for each book. please note: this is not a study bible but focuses on spiritual formation. Pages are thin and there is some bleed through. the typeset is easy on the eyes but on the small side. I have the leather edition.
Wendy
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Bible. I love the "Entry Point" reflections based on different spiritual disciplines including Lectio Divina, Ignatian, and Franciscan.
Linda
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemplative
hands down my favorite bible and i own quite a few.
Annabelle
I really like the spiritual disciplines index and notes. They've helped me read scripture for devotion again.
Julie Mihevc
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Bible. The idea of spiritual formation that permeates this version, as well as the quality of the commentary has blessed my spiritual life in great measure. I love this Bible.
Shirley Smith
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritualality
Wonderfully put together by a group of famous spiritual leaders. The intro's and comments are life-changing. It is the best version of the Bible I have ever read and studied.
Kate Jett
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians and seekers
I like this edition of the Bible, as it contains many extras and explanations in the footnotes. Its thick and hard to carry around, though. You might want it as a second Bible.
Karen Cress
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll never learn everything in this book! Probably the #1 thing -- God is God, and I am not!
Leigh
Jun 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly good as a second Bible only. Some interesting insights to add while doing Bible Study.
Paul Beighley
Oneof my favorite Bibles!
Elyse Bontrager
  • Zondervan Handbook to the Bible
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Thomas Merton:  Spiritual Direction And Meditation
  • The Dance of Life: Weaving Sorrows and Blessings Into One Joyful Step
  • A Spiritual Formation Workbook  - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth
  • Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation
  • If Grace Is True: Why God Will Save Every Person (Grace Series, #1)
  • Sermon on the Mount
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Oxford Study Bible-REB
  • Renovation of the Heart in Daily Practice: Experiments in Spiritual Transformation
  • New Interpreter's Study Bible-NRSV
  • Creating a Healthier Church: Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life (Creative Pastoral Care & Counseling)
  • Allah: A Christian Response
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount: God's Character and the Believer's Conduct
  • The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.