Start by marking “Going to Town” as Want to Read:
Going to Town

Going to Town

(My First Little House Books)

Long, long ago, a little girl named Laura Ingalls lived in a little house in the Big Woods of Wisconsin with her Pa, her Ma, her sisters, Mary and Carrie, and their good old bulldog, Jack. One spring day Pa has a wonderful surprise--he is taking the family on a trip into town! Laura is very excited, for she has never been to a town, and this special visit is everything she ...more
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Going to Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going to Town

Start your review of Going to Town
Kristen
My 4 year old son picked out this book from the library because it was about 'going to town.' I don't know what caught him about the title but when we read it before bed, he was riveted to the pages.

The story flows nicely and the illustrations are quite pretty with soft colors. We will be checking more from this series out from our library.
Carly Bontrager
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Historical fiction
K-2nd grade
This book was a simple and easy read. Great for younger kids, but not one I particularly enjoyed. I didn’t love the illustrations. They were ok, but nothing too special. I did like how they wore there bonnets and dress and that they traveled by there wagon.
MJ
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
She likes the scene in the yard where the girls are having a tea party?
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are the sweetest picture books.
Olive
Dec 06, 2020 added it
Olive doesn't like their curled hair in this book. ...more
Danette
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This series is great! It's tiding me over until I can start reading the Little House books with my 6 yr old.
12/15/17 Read with Naomi & Julia.
Amy Swafford
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sadie-s-books
My 3 year old loved me reading this book. We talked about having to go to town in a wagon and all the preparations to get ready to go to town. I hope she loves the Little House books as much as me.
Diana
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute book as a prequel to reading the Little House series
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Our family loves these illustrated versions of The Little House books!
Eva Marie
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: julias-books
The 'My First Little House' books are so beautifully illustrated that it gives so much to each story. It's few and far between that either of us - and especially both of us will linger on a page and take everything in. That's the norm with these books and we both get excited when we go to read a new one. (As Julia's Mom I can't put into words how thrilled I am each time she gets so excited over a book.)
Going to Town follows the Ingalls' trip into Pepin which is Laura, Mary and Carrie's first ti
Rosa Cline
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favorites, spring
These "first" books are absolutely wonderful! The illustrations are very nice and so eye catching for non readers. I LOVED them, am so glad I found them now I won't have to wait until my 2 year old granddaughter is older to share with her the wonderfully sweet stories of Laura and History back in pioneer days! LOVED THIS BOOK...

This one the girls are old enough to go to town with Ma and Pa and see a store for the first time. They had never seen a store before, and getting dressed up and riding i
Theresa Landgren
This is another story about Laura Ingalls Wilder. This one is about her family going to town and getting shopping done at the stores. It shows the family having a picnic with each other and Laura picking the fabric for a new dress. In the end of the story it shows the family going back home into the woods and having all their new things.

I would use this in my classroom again to teach about the pioneer days and to teach about who Laura Ingalls Wilder was. I want my students to see that they had t
Shelly♥
Nice little picture book that takes one component of the Little House books and discusses it. Through the illustrations and activities can point out what life in the 1800s was like in the midwest and the west. Both of my boys enjoyed it.

Recommend for young elementary students as a prelude to the real books.
Bree
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Dd loves the My First Little House series and I have to read at least two of them every night (or naptime). I actually prefer these simplified and extra-illustrated versions of LHitBW to the original novel.

April 2011 - still reading this almost every night.
Andrea Flory
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is a good book for grades k-2, 3-4. This book gives a little glimpse about life back in the day of Laura and I think is a great book to read. It's good to have in a classroom. The genre is biography. ...more
Theresa
a short retelling of part of the books for younger readers
Jeani
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really love these introductory Laura Ingalls Wilder books! They've got lovely illustrations, simple words and ideas, and are a great series starter for K-2nd grades. ...more
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
picture resource of the little house on the prairie one small chapter
ReadingWench
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I really liked this simple picture book about visiting town for the first time.

AR 3.7
Naomi
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A great segmented series that breaks out smaller stories from the series. This series is a great introduction to the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to move the young reader onto once they are ready.
Beth
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The girls get all dolled up to go to the town of Pepin. They are shocked by all of the choices and items. Even so, home is the best place for the family.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Another good one in the series.
Elanor
Feb 24, 2015 added it
All by herself!
Jodie
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love these stories. They are beautifully illustrated and written. I adore the memories that they have captured of the settling of this country. I had to have these stories in my collection.
Cws

• Me on the Map
  • If I Built a House
  • Randy Riley's Really Big Hit
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • The Perfect Pony
  • Walt Disney's Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
  • Cheer Up Chicken-P
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • My Father's Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #1)
  • Zoomrimes: Poems about Things That Go
  • Ox-Cart Man
  • Crafty Chloe
  • Rabbit & Possum
  • Ladybug Girl and the Dress-up Dilemma
  • Sweet and Spooky Halloween (Disney Princess)
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods