Start by marking “La Morte Amoureuse” as Want to Read:
La Morte Amoureuse

La Morte Amoureuse

He ceased to speak and commenced to regard me more attentively than ever, as though to observe the effect of his words on me. I could not refrain from starting when I heard him utter the name of Clarimonde, and this news of her death, in addition to the pain it caused me by reason of its coincidence with the nocturnal scenes I had witnessed, filled me with an agony and ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1836)

To ask other readers questions about La Morte Amoureuse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Morte Amoureuse

Start your review of La Morte Amoureuse
Draven
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gothic writing at its finest!!! What an unexpected treasure found inside the pages of a vampire anthology!

Loved every word. So descriptive, each phrase brimming with passion and enthusiasm. I fell in love with Clarimonde and Romualdo as they fell in love with with each other. Sparkling and ingenious...she was both beauty and the beast!
Gabrielle Dubois
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19th-century
I read CLarimonde La Morte Amoureuse in French (The Lover Dead), because there’s nothing better than Théophile Gautier in French… sorry for you, dear friend readers!

As soon as the first sentence: “You ask me, brother, if I have loved? I have.” we have only one desire: to read all the others! It's simple, concise and intriguing. And we aren’t disappointed! Théophile Gautier’s prose is the most beautiful of the world, of all languages, of all eras ... Yes, I am a fan, so what? I love him and I am
Eadweard
Pretty good gothic short story. For some reason I pictured Clarimonde looking either like Isabelle Adjani or Monica Belluci.

"She was rather tall, with a form and bearing of a goddess. Her hair, of a soft blonde hue, was parted in the midst and flowed back over her temples in two rivers of rippling gold; she seemed a diademed queen. Her forehead, bluish-white in its transparency, extended its calm breadth above the arches of her eyebrows, which by a strange singularity were almost black, and
Linda
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This collection includes four horror stories with gothic elements. La Morte Amoureuse, Le Chevalier double, Le Pied de momie and Deux acteurs pour un rôle. La Morte Amoureuse – Clarimonde – is the first and the most interesting.

The story centers around a priest, Romuald, and his meeting with a young, beautiful woman, Clarimonde. He is incapable of restraining himself and falls into a peculiar situation. The gothic segments are profound, and the story includes everything from death to vampires.
Mattia Ravasi
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesomely aged vampire tales that can afford being hilariously exaggerated, considering its age; and a mighty fine example of erotic fiction.
Strangerealms
I love Théophile Gautier, he is one of my favorite french author and poet. He wrote so beautifully with such rich vocabulary and his stories are all so beautiful as well. In this book are a few of his dark fantasy short stories and one of them involves a vampire, a tragic love story. The French saw the vampire and ghost more positive than the rest of the world by making them nicer, the type who loved so much someone they had to come back from the grave to be with the person they love, and the ...more
Quirkyreader
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a unique tale of the supernatural that blended many elements together. And Gautier’s writing style was able to blend it all together into this forgotten tale.
Lilaia Moreli
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
La Morte Amoreuse is the tale of love between a young priest, Romuald, and a beautiful vampiress, Clarimonde. Gautier's short story offers plently of food for symbolism and analysis as it functions on multiple levels. As it happens with most gothic fiction of that kind, Clarimonde blurs the boundaries between life and death. As a vampiress, she comes and goes, travelling between the two worlds while not fully belonging to either. However, the same applies to Romuald. Dead during his duties as a ...more
Christine
This is fabulous, sumptuously written 1836 romance about ravishing vampire courtesan - rosy-cheeked beauty who walks happily in sunlight and is too beautiful to be human - and young Catholic priest, tied together with love and blood. Bathetic but never dull, it is more love story than horror tale, despite ending in the atmospheric graveyard, and one of my favorite stories, vampire or otherwise.
Suzanna Gibbs
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in my short story French class as a junior in college. I plan to write my thesis about vampires- so this story was applicable to more than just my French class. I loved being able to read the story in the author's language, and even though it was difficult to read, I still found pleasure in the plot and analyzing the characters and themes.
Latasha
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story! I listened to the librivox recording.
Larry
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good gothic story!
Abbie
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely the best of the pre-Dracula vampire stories (the other two obvious ones being Polidori's The Vampyre, and Carmilla). It's quite short but deserves to be much better known.
RNOCEAN
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a story of a vampire and a priest, a lovely love story emerges.
Jamie Z.
A typical, well-written, Victorian vampire story.
Rick Slane
The translation I read was titled The Deadly Lover.
Solenn Mathieu
It's a classical author for the one studying french literature.
His mains characters are usually looking for love in art representations.
Ida Aasebøstøl
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
"Meh."
If it was written by Anne Rice, the vamp would be male and the book sexy.
XPHAIEA.
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young man who has just entered priesthood becomes obsessed and possessed by the apparition of a woman in red. We've all been there. Notable for the phrase 'overgrown with rank herbage' - imagine slipping that into casual conversation. Jackdaws squark piteously in the woods and the eyes of cats glow phosphorent in the darkness like glowing orbs. Sheer superstitious terror reigns. Horses have manes that stream wildly in the wind to a backing trach of guttural cries. Oh the melodrama!

INTERLUDE: a
Karen Chung
Clarimonde is a moral tale that describes the process of fighting and eventually, with some outside help, conquering one's inner demons. The story comes across as a bit pretentious, melodramatic, lacking in concrete detail, and above all, corny, but it still has entertainment value, and it is, thankfully, not too long. The story is a bold remix of (1) the Daoist story of Duke Zhou not being sure whether he was Duke Zhou dreaming he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming it was Duke Zhou, cited ...more
Francesca Pesci
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Pobre criatura! A pesar de todo lo que había visto, no podía creer que fuese un diablo: por lo menos no lo parecía, y jamás Satán había ocultado mejor sus uñas y sus cuernos.

Gautier definitely achieved to portray one of the most unbelievable vampire ladies: who could think of a blood drinking monster while reading of her fair hair, her green eyes and almost black eyebrows?
Clarimonde, the muerta enamorada (the dead woman who loves) in the title, is the first Vampire woman in the literature
Rebecka
Meh. This was not very good. Perhaps it's better in French, but I doubt it, and I would have read it in French if I hadn't found the Swedish edition for next to nothing at the yearly book sale. Certain annoying expressions in the translation seem to be expressions of the type that can only be translated in one way, like how the skin of a woman is compared to that of a snake in its coldness - twice. Another such very striking comparison was also repeated, and that just felt lazy. Not on behalf of ...more
Roland Denzel
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A haunting story of love between a vampire woman and a young priest. You just have to accept that they are in love for it to work; there's no indication of WHY she loves him, but she does. She's a beautiful vampire, so she's got magic, mystery, and beauty going for her, but why is she attracted to him?

Luckily it's short, so you can forgive the melodramatic whining of the hopelessly in love priest, who was helpless to resist Clarimonde's wiles.

Still, somehow this story won me over, and I've read
Simon
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivid descriptive language, really puts you inside the story. However for me personal, the story lacks a lot of why the scenarios happen. Too much is left to the imagination of the reader. Many things are open to interprentation, and without it the story feels a bit cheesy to me.

That said, you can however get a lot out of creating your own explanations and playing around with possible motives for Clairemonde and her actions. Maybe this was the authors intent, I don't know.

Maybe there are some
Sifat Ullah Tanzil
It's about love. Love that drags you in the land of mist where you can't see things clearly and the one who drags you there looks glowing with blaze and keeps burning your soul with its magnificent light. You can't reason, you can't think. You become selfless and all that was your's perish. You ponder for her scent, her word, her touch, her tongue, her everything.

best quote:

"And this, brother, is the story of my youth. Never gaze upon a woman, and walk abroad only with eyes ever fixed upon the
Antonia
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Desire is a strong weapon and every woman -dead or alive- knows it.
A young priest finds out that the Devil is not the only expert in temptation.

This short story by Théophile Gautier is the sum of every man's fear: that he will find himself helpless in the arms of the woman he desires -and perhaps loves-, even if his soul is forever doomed because of it.
Ilona
"Never look upon a woman, and walk always with both your eyes upon the ground, for chaste and sober as you may be, a moment can suffice to make you lose eternity."

(ik ga deze niet meetellen als gelezen boek dit jaar omdat het maar net iets meer dan 20 pagina's heeft en ik dat toch niet als een volledig boek wil rekenen)
Hayley
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As it's only 24 pages, this is more than manageable to read. I'd definitely recommend it, particularly to readers of Gothic fiction or those who need something a bit lighter or who are in a reading slump.
Amanda Kramers
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audio book and I found it very intresting. It seemed a little short but it was really good and it deserves 65 stars
Vasha7
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite story in here is "Jettatura", though the title story and others are also good.

• The Horla
  • Gruselkabinett 22 - Der fliegende Holländer
  • Drink My Blood
  • The Beetle
  • Rappaccini's Daughter
Pierre Jules Théophile Gautier (1811-1872) was a French poet, dramatist, novelist, journalist, and literary critic. In the 1830 Revolution, he chose to stay with friends in the Doyenné district of Paris, living a rather pleasant bohemian life. He began writing poetry as early as 1826 but the majority of his life was spent as a contributor to various journals, mainly for La Presse, which also gave ...more
“Those horses must have been Spanish jennets, born of mares mated with a zephyr; for they went as swiftly as the wind, and the moon, which had risen at our departure to give us light, rolled through the sky like a wheel detached from its carriage...” 11 likes
“I had never been into society; for me the world was the enclosure of the college and the seminary. I had a vague knowledge that there was a something
called woman, but I never dwelt upon the subject; I was absolutely innocent. I saw my infirm old mother only twice a year; that was the extent of my connection with the outside world.”
7 likes