Start by marking “Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins #1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  14,359 Ratings  ·  1,122 Reviews
FIRE BURN AND CAULDRON BUBBLE is the first book in the Jolie Wilkins series. If you like your books steamy (this is a paranormal romance series for adults, not for kids or teens!) and you appreciate a good witch, warlock and vampire romance triangle, read on!

A self-deprecating witch with the unique ability to reanimate the dead.
A dangerously handsome warlock torn between b
Published July 2010

Tracy
Apr 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Burned and Bubbled My Patience
Jolie Wilkins had been content with her little life, running a shop in L.A. with her best friend Christa and using her abilities to read auras and glimpse futures to provide the business that supported them both. Then she saw the ghost - her first, actually, and soon after her life didn't resemble anything she recognized.

That wasn't the ghost's fault, at least not directly. It was more the influence of one ultra-sexy warlock Rand Balfour, who sent the ghost to Jolie
Trina Lore
Mar 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Why does Goodreads not have a "Did Not Finish"/"Will Not Finish" shelf? Because that's where I'd put this one (so I added one of my own, but they still made me choose one of the pre-sets). I bought it on my sister's recommendation, and she later apologized for not updating her rec. I thought maybe she was punishing me for procrastinating on finishing a different series that we're both into.

But I digress. I don't often/always review books, but in this case I feel like I have to. This is complete
Beth
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
I used to be one who forced herself to finish every book she started even if she didn't like it - and that was fine when the book I was reading was Moby Dick or some other classic that I felt I should have under my belt. But for 99 cents, and a book about sexy warlocks, I give up.

I like chick-lit (I'm a big fan of the Shopaholic series), and I like paranormal romance (I liked Twilight and I liked Amanda Hocking's vampire series). I think what completely irritates me is when the two are combined
Jacob Proffitt
I gave up at the 50% mark. I really wanted to like the book because I sort of liked Jolie. While the writing is mostly good there are three problems that tanked my ability to really engage with the story.

First, and most importantly, the emotional gage was permanently cranked to 11. Jolie reacts to everything like it’s the most important event in the history of ever! In one scene her heart gave enough palpitations I wondered if she’d need an EMT to get her through it. It felt like Jolie (or H.P.
Alicia
TJ
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5/5.0

Ok, so this is not rocket science, folks, but it is fun!! And, sometimes that is just what one needs.

Mallory's writing is smooth, upbeat with a light air, while telling stories of witches, vampires and assorted otherworldly beings, all trying to live peaceably - or not - with each other. While Jolie's character gets to be more than a little annoying with her "poor little me, I can't do anything" attitude and her constant actions to prove the point, the addictive storyline, handsome men an
Michelle
This is one of those books that you shouldn't judge by it's cover. I sat down with my kindle expecting a light, funny paranormal romance and instead got an action packed urban fantasy tale with witches, fairies, werewolves and vampires!

I was amazed with this one, it took me a couple of chapters to leave my expectations behind but that's when it really hooked me in and I enjoyed every page. I can't wait to find out what happens next, thing's are really starting to heat up for Jolie!

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Jan 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
If I could take back reading any of this, I would.
Brittain *The Baddest Female*
DNF at 15% but this book has 2 more attached onto the end so in all fairness, I have no idea how far I have gotten and I don't give a flying shit.

Ok, so this girl is a psychic. Or something. She reads tarot cards and gets by in life. Then she sees a ghost for the first time. She gets spooked but continues with her life. Enter Mr. Tall, Dark, and British.

He asks her to read his aura then promptly tells her that he is magical and shit. So he brings her on a little project where she somehow reanima
Trang
Jul 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Girl-next-door Jolie one day found herself visited by a drop-dead gorgeous warlock who insisted that she had great potential as a witch and helped her discover her rare talent in resurrecting the dead. Innocent Jolie suddenly was caught up in an Underworld war that had a lot to do with attractive warlocks, vampires, and werewolves who competed against each other over her. While hiding away from the evil witch who tried to rule the Underworld, Jolie did not waste any time practicing magic and eng ...more
JenBee
Jolie Wilkins is a psychic who is living life quietly running her fortune telling shop until the mysterious Rand, a warlock, turns up on her doorstep and everything changes forever. Offered a job she can not refuse Jolie travels to Chicago where she discovers her special talent. It is this special talent which causes her to be drawn into a world of vampires, magic and mayhem! Watch out for a fun and fast paced journey into this world as Jolie learns about her new life!

Jolie is a very likeable ch
Belinda Boring
Sep 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest things I loved about this book was that just when you thought you'd seen it all, the author introduces a new twist that just totally blows you away. When I first started reading, I was expecting a quick read about a girl with supernatural powers who has an adventure, falls in love and saves the day. End of story and so not what I got. This story was smart, funny and INCREDIBLY sexy in both plot and characters. Each idea flowed right into the next one and I was excited as each ...more
Ursula
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I agree with a lot of people who have said the book would be better if the author didn’t feel the need to mention sex on almost every page. I love a good romance and don’t shy away from steamy scenes (especially where vampires are concerned)and felt that often, the sexual aspects of the book are both hit and miss and don’t really add anything to develop the characters or the storyline. It seems like all of a sudden every main male character wants to have a sexual relationship with her. And, alth ...more
Melissa
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing read. It started out so well, sucking me into the world building and liking the characters; it ended with a cliffhanger that left me feeling "meh". There were problems with consent, with a quasi-rape (vampire forces his fangs and drinks from heroine's pubic area) and a threat of sexual rape in the same scene. This is why I prefer my vampires being the dark, brooding villains rather than the sexed up beautiful corpses (with the exception of the Midnight Breed series).

I re
Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble is the first book in the Jolie Wilkins series. We join Jolie's story to find her living happily in ignorant bliss, believing she's a psychic; giving readings and fortunes from her quirky little shop with her best friend Christa. Turns out the reason she's so good at reading people has nothing to do with being psychic at all, it's because she's a witch. She has her eyes forcibly opened to this salient piece of information by Rand, a rather dashing warlock, who, amo ...more
Anna
Could not finish this poorly written, shallow, tediously boring book. It reads like someone trying to rip off the Sookie Stackhouse books but without the skill or any semblance of quality.

The 'heroine' is a vapid, shallow, unpleasant, rude, self centred, thoughtless idiot with a spine of solid jelly. The 'hero', assuming that the First Guy is meant to be the hero, is entirely without character. The supporting cast are a series of cardboard cutouts with cliches attached. The 'plot' is often disr
Annette  Dahl "Old Vicarious Reader"

This was a tale that I think had a totally new spin on warlocks and witches. The premise of the plot I found new and witty. Rand was our spectacular warlock hero, and our Jolie was, in her own words, "the dumbest woman alive". I agreed with her self-concept completely.

There were many LOL snippets, but this scene had me rolling with giggles....
"They continued to growl and circle each other, as if daring the other to make the first move. The white wolf sniffed Trent’s rear and Trent did the same
Barbara ★
This book was terrible. The heroine (and I use that term loosely) is one of those "too stupid to live" heroines that you just want to smack for being so stupid and immature. This reads like a young adult novel even though it is not. Jolie has sex on the brain. Every male within 10 feet of her is subject to her thoughts (she rarely acts on anything but her inner dialogue got old real fast). She even lusts after the males who have kidnapped her, tied her up, and sucked her blood almost to death. I ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Couldn't finish this one - The tone was cute and the concept was okay but I couldn't grasp the heroines motivations for anything she did. She never thinks before she acts - and it made her into a TSTL heroine. Like going to a party full of vampires (who she had never met before) and because of this ends up having to give up her whole life. Yet, seems to bounce back really quick.

She gets sucked into a dangerous world and then halfway through the book decides to move out of the protection of the o
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crap
I did not like this book. I had to struggle through it, skipping more and more on the way. The main female character was empty and uninteresting, I couldn't care less about her fate, moreover, I couldn't find a single thing in Jolie to cause anyone to fall for her. The romance line? I didn't find this "we can't do this" convincing, or "aha, if I can't have him then I will focus on anyone who casted a glimpse on me" romantic.
This book had some potential, but resulted in something that could only
Annette
Oct 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle
Sadly, I won't finish this book. Main character has had too many "too stupid" moments and when she finds herself in some trouble... I truly just don't care enough to see how she gets out.

I really really wanted to like this, but after avoiding reading *anything* for weeks because I felt guilty not finishing this book, I'm letting it go!
Gillian Murrell
If you want a bit of light fluff to read then this is ok. Jolie Wilkins leads a perfectly contented life reading fortunes in L.A. Until her life is turned upside down after taking on a new client. Before you know it Jolie finds herself in the middle of a war and living in England. All because she is in hot demand because of powers that she had no idea she even had.
The Flooze
After the cartoon covers of Sookie and Queen Betsy, I should know better than to presume such styles mean a fluffier story.

I can't recall if books one and two of this series were freebies or just frightfully cheap. I do know I didn't purposefully seek them out and so my expectations weren't high.

It was a nice surprise then to find a relatively entertaining series debut. It's not remarkable, but it's basic premise and characterization was enough to keep me engaged. (In a world full of FBS, that'
Christine
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jolie is a psychic who has no idea that she is actually a witch. Together with her cat and her best friend she leads a relatively quiet life. Okay, she doesnt have a boyfriend, but so what. All that changes when one day smoking hot Rand walks into her life. Not only does she meet the very first ghost in her life, she also discovers she has very extraordinary powers. From now on, ghosts are the most normal things she will encounter.

Jolie is is a very down to earth character who sometimes has to
Angie
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je n'étais pas du tout convaincue par ce livre les 80 premières pages (dommage car j'aurais pu rajouter une étoile si ce n'était cela), jusqu'à un tournant. Et la, je me suis retrouvée plongée dans l'histoire et curieuse de la voir se dérouler sous mes yeux.
Ce qui commence comme une intrigue quelconque et pas intéressante, ce révèle être une histoire complexe avec de graves enjeux politiques pour les habitants de l'Underworld, partagés entre 2 factions sur le chemin de la guerre pour le contrôl
WildAboutBones
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read4bbpr-review
H. P. Mallory has come up with yet another delightful story and series. Humorous, good chemistry, fun characters, unexpected twists and turns,with ghosts, vampires, shapeshifting witches and warlocks, Lurkers, werewolves and demons. Drew me in from the first paragraph. It was a quick read, even at 382 pages.

Jolie, 28, is a tarot card reader with a small self esteem issue.

Rand, is a warlock who needs Jolie to go back to the 1920s with him to find out who killed his client, a ghost. Jolie says abo
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who love the witch/Vamp/faery combos in their reads
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: Katie's Freestyl'n Challenge
HP Mallory brings in a funny, well paced story that will make you smile and get you cheering for Jolie and crew.

Description:

ife isn't bad for psychic Jolie Wilkins. True, she doesn't have a love life to speak of, but she has a cute house in the suburbs of Los Angeles, a cat and a quirky best friend.

Enter Rand Balfour, a sinfully attractive warlock who insists she's a witch and who just might turn her life upside down. Rand hires her to help him solve a mystery regarding the death of his client w
Stacey Kennedy
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin? Oh yes―this book was simply fantastic!! The story revolves around Jolie, a woman on a journey of self-discovery as she learns about her unique abilities as a witch. Powers she was unaware she possessed. When Rand, the undeniably sexy warlock seeks her out to use her special gifts of reanimating the dead, you are taken on a wild ride.

This story was just my cup of tea. It hit all the right spots. The characters are witty and leave a lasting impression. Not only, Jolie and Rand, b
Sadie Forsythe
Disappointing. That's the most concise review I could write. This is one of those standard 'woman has magical powers that she's lived 28 years without noticing, until a man comes along and tells her about them' books. Meanwhile, he controls every aspect of her life while refusing to give her the information she needs to stay safe and chastising her for endangering herself in ways she wasn't told would be dangerous.

And of course these magical powers she's gone 28 years without noticing are ultra
  • No Shoes, No Shirt, No Spells (Mystic Cafe, #1)
  • Opal Fire (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #1)
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • Illicit Magic (Stella Mayweather, #1)
  • The Trouble with Spells (Of Witches and Warlocks, #1)
  • Bewitching the Werewolf (Megan Stephens #1)
  • Blood, Smoke and Mirrors (Bad Witch #1)
  • Hex Appeal (Hex #2)
  • Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #1)
  • Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2)
  • Craved (Gwen Sparks, #1)
  • Pixie Dust (Pixie Dust Chronicles, #1)
  • Keep Me Ghosted (Sophie Rhodes Ghostly Romance #1)
  • Strange Neighbors (Strange Neighbors, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire, #2)
  • Crux (Southern Arcana, #1)
I’m a huge fan of anything paranormal and I always have been. I get super excited whenever they have those Twilight Zone Marathon days and anything ghost or vampire related will always attract my attention.

My interests are varied but aside from writing, I’m most excited about traveling. I’m extremely fortunate to have been able to live in England and Scotland, both places really having a profound
More about H.P. Mallory

Jolie Wilkins (5 books)
  • Toil and Trouble (Jolie Wilkins, #2)
  • Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins, #3)
  • The Witch Is Back (Jolie Wilkins, #4)
  • Something Witchy This Way Comes (Jolie Wilkins, #5)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
“The only thing separating Americans and Brits is a comman language.” 28 likes
“You want some more?" Christa asked, her right eye drooping like an old lady's pantyhose. It was a sign that Christa was drunk. She said it was a form of lazy eye; I just thought it was hysterical and laughed although I tried to hide it with an inconspicuous cough.” 16 likes