Start by marking “Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox” as Want to Read:
Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  516 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
With inspiring and educational stories, Scholastic's Hello Reader series caters to the spectrum of reading abilities among beginning readers. My First Hello Readers use basic words to reinforce phonics and sight vocabulary. The books at this level offer punch-out flash cards plus six additional pages of skill-building activities. Levels 1 - 4 combine a greater vocabulary a ...more
Published May 1st 1992 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox

Brittaney Ellis
Text-to-self

I remember when I had chicken pox. I was five years old and it was horrible! The itching never stopped, the spots kept appearing, and I couldn't play with anyone. I remember my mom putting the thick white cream on me and it was never rubbed in all the way (lol). After the spots went away my mother allowed me to spend the night at my cousins house and she ended up catching the chicken pox next! I was so anxious to get out of the house I passed them on. Once I became a teen, I realized
Emily Holter
This contemporary realistic fiction book will surely have children laughing and relating along with the main character. This story is about a boy that sees red spots on his face, which makes him realize he has the chicken pox. The story continues as he looks all over his body and sees these red spots. They itch him and make him feel sick. In the end, his chicken pox go away and he can go back to school again.

I would use this book in a kindergarten or 1st grade classroom. This book is a "Hello Re
Mellanie C
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little kids will enjoy having this read to them when they get the chicken pox, or as my kids called it when they were little, chicken "pops."
Ashley Fischer
With this book we could talk about being sick. It could be used to talk about good health and what to do to stay healthy. We could talk about washing hands and covering our mouths when we cough. This book goes through what it’s like to have the chicken pox and what to expect. I think it would be great to read to the class because some students have already gone through it and other will be going through it. We could talk about what will happen when they are sick and miss school. What they should ...more
Sapphire Moosman
Like many of us, I don't remember what it was like when I had the chicken pox. I know that me and my older brother had them together but that is about it. This isn't exactly the best way to try and remember that but is very cute way. It is also a good book to read to a child before they get chicken pox so that when it does happen they aren't frightened. Kids, when the first get sick, tend to be scared, so this is a good way to warn them and get them ready for it.

Have fun reading!
Judy
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, owned-books
I tell my grandkids they won't get chicken pox on account of those vaccinations they hate. But I also tell them about their daddy when he had chicken pox 30 years ago and that his rash blisters were THAT BIG and he wrote in his diary "This is the worst day of my life." So the book is good in itself and is useful on a lot of other counts, too, when related to the history of folks in the family.
Zoraya Brown
I think this would be a very fun book to read with my students! All children will one day be able to relate to this story, as they may all experience or know someone who experiences chicken pox as a child. This book can be used to open up a lesson about what it is, how we get it, what to expect and how to deal with it. We can also use this book for counting.
Jessica
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for beginning readers but lacks in content. There isn't a lot to be learned from this book. It is very simple. The illustrations are fun however. The boy is covered in itchy chicken pox and the illustarter does a good job of getting that point across. I would recommend this book to any beginning reader or a teacher of kindergarten.
Rebecca Durham sagoe
This book is adorable and laughable for all kids, but especially for those who have chicken pox. I wish this book had been around when I was going through this miserable childhood disease. While reading this book it gave me a good laugh because the little boy was going through the long process of being itchy with the chicken pox. This should be in every home!
Kathryn Joyce
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: encouragment
This book would be perfect for take home reading. When a student is home sick, this may be a good choice to send for encouragement. It can aslo be used in phonics to explain the 'ch' sound. Easy and light read with repetitive vocabulary.
Ashley
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another easy-to-read book (repetition, etc.). I loved reading this book to my mom because there is a kind of rhyme feel to it. Most younger children can relate to having the chicken pox. Fun but simple illustrations.
Christina
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a perfect book to read to a 3-5 year old with the chicken pox. The language is catchy and I was forced to read it numerous times over the course of one week. I would highly recommend it.
Amy
Although most children get vaccinated and don't really get chicken pox anymore, this is a great book when talking about how sometimes we need to miss school because we are sick. This book also has lots of rhyming words. This book has been recommended for children preschool age to 1st grade.
This book doesn't provide much in the way of information about chicken pox, but it is still an easy and fun read about a boy who is covered all over with chicken pox and how itchy they are and how he can't scratch. Might be fun to read with a child if they get chicken pox.
Alexandria Tietz
This book would be really cute to use for a child who has the chicken pox. It will help them to understand what they are going to experience. I enjoyed this book and think it would be great to read to children.
Claire
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: february
this is a good introduction story, and even has some basic counting in it, but it doesn't tell you very much about chicken pox. everything in it is very simply done, including the pictures, sentences and ideas. I would probably not use this in any classroom setting.
Nojood Alsudairi
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The beauty of this book lies in its language (i.e. itchy itchy I feel twitchy). When it was translated to Arabic it lost some of its beauty.
Furbjr
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my 3 year old and my 7 year old when we were waiting for a prescription at our local health clinic. Everyone laughed out-loud. It was a great read!
Lavinia
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The chicken pox were itching for the boy a lot. Every day he got better. Finally, he was so better, and no more chicken pox, and he got to go to school. I like this book.
Jenna
This book is great for children who may be dealing with chicken pox or have experienced them before. The colorful illustrations and simple words makes this a great book for beginner readers.
AbigailMay2005
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tynisha Thompkins
Great book for 1st graders!
Heather Jo
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meggie-list
a N d i E {o,o}
this was a really fun book for me when I was young!
Alexis Johnson
it was a good bokk but had very small words in it but the book was alright!
Ashanti
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learened that it is very imporotant to get your chiken pox shot or else you will get chiken pox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carrie
This book is great for beginning readers. It is about a little boy with chicken pox. It lacks a deep message for the story, but is great for readers starting out. its simple, with fun pictures.
Tanika
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phonics, level-1
This is a story about a little boy that has the chicken pox. This book is an easy read and good for beginner readers.
Rusti
1 copy available
Kerry
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On the pre-k reading list. Read with my 4yo..... copywriter 1992..... doesn't seem applicable to a 4yo in post-immunization 2015.
  • Buzz Said the Bee
  • Biscuit Wants to Play
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Cookie's Week
  • Mr. Putter  Tabby Make a Wish
  • Hiccups For Elephant (level 2)
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • Mouse Makes Words: A Phonics Reader
  • The Mitten Tree
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners
  • Fire in the Forest (LEGO City)
  • Clifford's First Autumn
Grace Maccarone is a children’s book editor and the author of many books for young readers, including Miss Lina’s Ballerinas, illustrated by Christine Davenier, and the First Grade Friends series, illustrated by Betsy Lewin. She lives in Westchester, New York.

More about Grace Maccarone