Start by marking “Bad Twin” as Want to Read:
Bad Twin

Bad Twin

2.66  ·  Rating details ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
Sometimes evil has a familiar face . . .Paul Artisan, P.I. is a new version of an old breed -- a righter of wrongs, someone driven to get to the bottom of things. Too bad his usual cases are of the boring malpractice and fraud variety. Until now.

His new gig turns on the disappearance of one of a pair of twins, adult scions of a rich but tragedy-prone family. The missing tw
Published May 2nd 2006 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Twin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Twin

Teresa Jusino
Aug 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readandreviewed
Bad Twin is a bad book. By all literary standards, the novel is a travesty: cliche, overwritten and underwritten in the wrong places with a hackneyed mystery plot involving a private detective searching for a missing twin brother, the titular "bad twin", who happens to be the heir to one of the largest fortunes in the country.

Blah, blah, blah.

None of that matters, as the actual plot of the story is incidental. Bad Twin first made an appearance during Season Two of Lost. It was an unpublished man
Jennifer Wardrip
As long as you don't go into reading BAD TWIN thinking you're going to solve the mysteries of the hit television show Lost, then you should be okay. BAD TWIN, on its own, is an intriguing mystery featuring twin brothers--one a bigwig in the family business, the other a ne're-do-well who has gone missing.

Oh, sure, there are a few references in the actual storyline to make you go "hmmm"--the philosopher John Locke, a trip to Australia aboard an Oceanic flight, the totally hyped numbers showing up
Nathan
Sep 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody. Well, illiterate computer junkies.
Complete and utter crap. Only a vague connection with one of the most brilliant things on TV makes it worth even knowing about, and its revelations about the show, if they even mean anything, probably won't be revealed for another 2 years until the 6th season starts. Aside from a Feb. 2008 start date for the 4th season, reading this was the greatest blister on 2007 (besides war, the economy, politics, pop music, etc).

NC
Connie
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists and maybe die-hard Lost fans with a lot of patience
Shelves: lost-lit, fiction
This was the longest 270 page book I have ever read. I found I was doing everything I could to avoid sitting down and reading it. If it weren’t for the whole Lost Experience (and Sawyer’s Book Group) I wouldn’t have bothered. Even then this book was nothing but a bunch of “Easter Eggs." I felt insulted as a reader by being beaten over the head by certain themes throughout the story. The book itself is poorly written. The word trite comes to mind. Characters were overdrawn, the plot was weak---an ...more
Spudsie
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LOST freaks...er...fans
A short, easy to read book that ties in with the LOST Experience.

What more can I say? To review or give my thoughts on the book alone kinda misses the point. But Goodreads is a site for books….not LOST junkies. (grin) And I feel compelled to offer my two cents on the book alone...sort of....

My overall rating sums up fairly accurately how I feel about Bad Twin...it was, well...okay. I guess.

It’s not a strongly written book that draws you in from the first word and doesn’t let you go until you ar
Vivienne
OK I admit that the only reason I bought this book was due to its tie-in to the ABC's Lost. For those uninitiated into that tie-in, the author Gary Troup exists within the 'Lost' universe as a passenger on Oceanic Flight 815 who is killed on the beach in the opening episode by being sucked into the jet engine. Ick! In Season 2, a draft copy of the novel Bad Twin is featured, specifically being read by Sawyer though the final pages are burnt by Jack.

There was rumoured to be a number of clues with
Kelly
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, mystery
This is a weird LOST tie-in book. It doesn't have any characters that appeared on LOST (that we know of) other than the author "Gary Troup" (exploding engine guy) and Cindy, the flight attendant, to whom "Gary's" book is dedicated. It's a mostly unrelated whodunnit. As such, it's perfectly fine. It's a thousand times better than Murder on Capitol Hill, at least.

There are some other LOST references -- we glimpse the Hanso foundation, and Alvar and Mittelwerk are briefly mentioned. I think the bi
Darlene
This was pretty entertaining. Just read it because it is on the LOST reading list and there were some fun refrences to LOST. I LOVED how the hero's friend used literature references from many classic books to help him solve his crimes. But, of course, I had to endure profanity. Seriously, if I ever write a book, there won't be a single cuss word in it.
Judith
book written by one of the writers for TV series "Lost"
Valerie
Jul 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crazy lost fans
one of the good things that came out of the very confusing Lost Experience.
Kristal
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would only recommend this to hard core fans of the tv show LOST. This book functions only as an extension (and a tenuous extension at that) of the mysteries surrounding the series. It is neither well-written nor suspenseful but the references to the various conspiracies portrayed on LOST and the idea that this could potentially hold some clues to the series are enough for me to give it 2 stars.
Eliza Sheasby
Neither bad nor good. Some cute references to LOST that will make fans smile, but doesn’t solve any mysteries.
Susan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LOST television series tie in. Detective series
Juli Klein
Mar 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't want to say I hated it so instead I'll say it was so, so awful. Feels like it was written by a 15 year old boy who thinks women are the most mysterious creatures who put aside their jobs and ambitions in order to "make love" to a random gross dude who happened to wander into their lives for 2 seconds. I was initially excited about the Lost connections but it was a giant waste of a week of my life. SPOILER: nothing could ruin this book for you. Nothing could make it worse.
Crystal Starr Light
This book was short and I got it used (always a good way to go when you are unsure about a book). It wasn't necessarily a bad investment, but the book wasn't all that great either.

Plot:
Paul Artisan, a private detective, is hired by a rich family to find a wayward son. In the process, he discovers that there are quite a few secrets held by this family that will help lead to the recovery of the missing son.

Good:
There were some great points to the book. I liked Paul and Manny's relationship (someth
Anthony
I finished reading Bad Twin by "Gary Troup." For those of you who aren't LOST fans, this is the novel that Sawyer was reading in manuscript form this season -- he found it in the wreckage. The story goes that Troup, the author of "Bad Twin," was on Oceanic Flight 815 when it crashed on the island -- and that he was romantically involved with Cindy, the flight attendant who survived the crash of the tail section but who seemed to be taken by The Others early this season as the Tailies crossed the ...more
Brian
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Bad Twin" is an extension to "The Lost Experience," an alternate-reality game intended to keep the rabid viewers of "Lost" busy during the long summer when there are no new episodes. It was supposedly written by Gary Troup, who was one of the "victims" of Oceanic Flight 815. About the only thing I could glean from the book that related to Lost was a bit of background on the Widmores. While the book is "metafiction," that is, fiction within fiction, the book is supposedly based on some real thin ...more
Willow Redd
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movie-tv-tie-ins
This was my second time reading through this one and I think it's a perfectly fun, serviceable mystery. I'm not sure why so many reviewers seem to find so much fault with it.

Of course, part of that might be that they misunderstood the purpose of the book. It was never meant to reveal secret knowledge about anything going on in Lost. It was merely meant to be the manuscript that Sawyer finds amongst the wreckage (the author, Gary Troup, having been sucked into the plane's engine in the first epis
Runa
Jun 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LOST fans
Recommended to Runa by: thelostcommunity.blogspot.com
Matt
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Even though this is LOST-related, it wasn't a very good book. I kind of like how they made the fake author a character in the actual show, however that fact makes this fictional account of the Widmore family make no sense. How could a character in the fictional universe of LOST write a fictional story about a family that really exists in the author's universe? Woah...weird...

Anyway, here is the official author description: "Bad Twin is the highly-anticipated new novel by acclaimed mystery writer
innae
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
Joey Lewandowski
Being the avid LOST fan that I am (if you need proof, just scroll down the blog), I was really excited to read Bad Twin by Gary Troup. The "author" was a flight on Oceanic 815, and was killed off in the pilot. The book was peppered with small references to the show (Hanso, Widmore, Paik, Mr. Cluck, 8-15-16, Cindy the stewardess), and Troup's name is an anagram for PURGATORY. With the way that the flash-sideways played out in season six, I thought it'd be cool to get through.

Boy, was it a chore.

I
Avielle Sales
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book struck as the most interesting out of all the novels I chose to read for Q3. It is a mystery between a lost twin whose prone to recklessness and attraction for hate to himself. While his responsible and complete opposite twin is looking for him, he finds it difficult to tell enemy from friend. He feels guilty for not being able to help his brother and feels by finding him, he can have that chance of giving his brother a better life. Another problem occurs in the book is that their fath ...more
Rebecca
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv
I am such a dork for most things LOST. On the show, the character Hurley is shown finding a book written by a passenger who died. And yes, it is this book. And of course, they have to capitalize on all things LOST because most fans out there are nuts. Of course, I didn't buy this book, but yay! They had it at the library. I finally remembered (seems to be my biggest problem) and I checked it out. Thank GOD! I didn't buy this book. It was pretty lame. It didn't add anything to the LOST universe a ...more
Cathrine Bonham
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do yourself a favor and Forget about LOST. Maybe this Story takes place in the LOST universe and if it were made into a TV movie I would cast LOST actors but beyond that there isn't really any tie in.

what this is how ever is a very good detective story that has really been put down by LOST fans who were expecting it to be a LOST related novel.

This is the story of P.I. Paul Artisan who has his routine of snapping pictures of unfaithful spouses completely shattered when million heir Cliff Widmore
Sarah Hayes
Well, that was painfully mediocre, wasn't it? Plus, its connection to LOST is tenous at best - there are references to Widmore and Hanso and Paik (that's Sun's father's company, in case you can't remember) but little else. It does however go into many of the same themes that the TV series does, such as purgatory, light/dark, humanity, et cetera, and when it does, that's when it's at its best. And it's almost worth it to read the letter from Gary's Australian publisher. Walkabout Publishing! Nice ...more
Ryan
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
The last book written by Gary Troup, focusing on the Widmore family and published shortly after he disappeared on Oceanic Flight 815 when it vanished over the Pacific Ocean.

If that sentence piques your interest, it's most likely because you are/were a fan of the television program Lost; Bad Twin is a metafictional tie-in to the program, supposedly written by a minor character from the show. Which, as a fan of the show, fascinates me, especially since it promised to shed some light on the Hanso
Katie
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wesley Johnson
Poorly written detective novel tied into ABC's Lost. Allegedly, clues to some of the show's mysteries were buried within the story's text; the SMALL bit of insight gleaned from the tome wasn't worth the cover price. I picked this up while fully engulfed in my obsession for the show, so, initially I enjoyed it; now that I'm removed from those feelings, I can safely say that the enjoyment had nothing to do with it being a good book.

"Gary Troup," the books author, was allegedly on the plane that c
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • After All These Years
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Lancelot
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • The Laws of Manu
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • Secret Identity (Lost, #2)
  • Deep River

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)