Start by marking “The Biology of Transcendence: A Blueprint of the Human Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Biology of Transcendence: A Blueprint of the Human Spirit

The Biology of Transcendence: A Blueprint of the Human Spirit

Uses the insights and research of a new wave of biologists and neurologists to explore how we can transcend our current cultural and societal crises.

• Explains new biological understanding of the human organism having five brains, the fifth of which is located in the heart.

• Explains that transcendence of our current modes of behavior, thinking, and believing require the
Published April 1st 2002 by Park Street Press

To ask other readers questions about The Biology of Transcendence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Biology of Transcendence

Darlene Lambert (Meredith)
For the past two years I have not wanted to go to church. Something was missing in my religious experience. As a Catholic I did not question religious doctrine; went to church every Sunday and every Holy day but felt "empty".
This book "the Biology of Transcendence" has put things in perspective for me. It acknowledges and validates my quest towards transcendence. The reasons societies seek Religious shelter, the guilt and shame imposed upon you by loving but unsuspecting parents are tied into t
Dbzvfp
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The human species is evolving toward a higher consciousness. Neurophysiological studies are demonstrating the wisdom of the mystics. All we need to fear is the lack of courage to grow and change, to recognize our own Divinity and to put aside the practice of projecting the Divine onto some external Authority.
Sornchai
Oct 26, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Enculturation is the process of External Ethics.
Socialization is the process of Inner Way.
Magnus Itland
This pseudoscience is so weak that it is embarrassing to read. It is not devoid of good points, in particular the importance of investing our time in children in order for them to develop well. Children are really undervalued, so the book is commendable on that. Also the long duration of human maturation - our brains really are not finished growing until sometime in our twenties (not that most people use them fully even then). But much of its science is misinterpreted, and pure myth is taken as ...more
Duncan
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This visionary book speculates upon the potential of humanity to evolve at a much accelerated pace with expanded compassion, tolerance, and altruism as suggested by Pierce's analysis of the true Jesus Christ, as well as Bhudda, Ghandi, and other highly-evolved prophets and leaders. Pierce beautifully weaves this all into an understanding of Pre-and perinatal psychology, emphasizing the need for a truly caring, attentive and mindful conception, pregnancy, birth and infancy of all newborns, which ...more
Carol
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It gets you thinking--and for me that is one of the most important values in a book. I think we can evolve or become extinct. I value his ideas and the push they give me to examine some of my own.
Liam See
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly holistic insights and perspectives based on a lifetime of global travel, firsthand interviews with a wide range of spiritual leaders, research and teaching. Seminal stuff abounds here, with many critical interpretations of cultural trajectories and recommendations.

The Heart Math Institute is a medically and scientifically based research center that very carefully measures how our brain waves, heart rhythms and other inner biometrics.
Ricardo Acuña
In this book, Pearce presented the mutual influence between culture, religion, biology, mind and consciousness. I found it very interesting, in particular the way in which our brain extends to the heart and the influence of electromagnetic fields. I agree with the mutual influence between mind-body-biology-society. But mixing christianity and mystical topics can be a bit controversial.
Ron Krumpos
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
"The Biology of Transcendence" is one of the books in the secondary bibliography of my free ebook on comparative mysticism. "The greatest achievement in life" at suprarational.org/gail2012.pdf has been reviewed on Goodreads.
さやか むらさと
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelff
"Fear of death locks our mind into survival strategies that counter our discovery of possibilities other than death."

Ken Wilber says this about his own books: "Read them, but also go out there and act upon that knowledge." Same goes for this one. Also, both Ken and Joseph seem to value the prophetic work of William Blake. I find such bits particularly rewarding.

I strongly recommend "Biology of Transcendence" to anyone who wants to learn a lot about themselves and possibly why a transcendence of
Sheila Pritchard
Excellent and fascinating. Sometimes depressing in terms of how profoundly negative early childhood experience leads to violence later in life. But also encouraging in how our brains and our spirits are intimately connected.
Heiki Eesmaa
Sep 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book would be fine if it limited itself to Steiner and the author's own mystical experience and utopian fantasies. But bringing weak science like Bruce Lipton into it and reinterpreting solid science like Allen Schore is too much for me. I cannot really recommend it to anybody who already hasn't read quite a bit, but they won't need it nor find it interesting.
Louis Dallara
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't find words to describe this great book, it expanded my consciousness and created a new way of looking at things.
It's explanation of Heart Math was new and fresh, which helped me with my mediation practice.
Claudia
Good points, but too woo woo.
Patrick
Sep 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book has enlightened perception of the ways of evolution within the brain of the human being. Transcend into a clear field of spiritual awakening.
Tiarekhalo Tiarekhalo
I'd like to read this book as a friend recommended it, so its on a must read before the year is out list!
Karen Martin
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Thought provoking ideas. Some parts were a bit dry but worth wading through.
Joanne
Aug 20, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting - not finished with this one yet!
Sarah Bonham
Jul 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant, but kind of rough to get through. i wouldn't suggest it for a "light read"
Mitch Hall
Kevin
Mar 23, 2017
AnnaLee
May 07, 2016
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Saint Germain on Alchemy: Formulas for Self-Transformation
  • The Words of Gandhi
  • Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics
  • The Guru Papers: Masks of Authoritarian Power
  • A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Morphic Resonance
  • The Buddha Is Still Teaching: Contemporary Buddhist Wisdom
  • The Mustard Seed: The Gnostic Teachings of Jesus The Mystic
  • Buddhist Wisdom: The Diamond Sutra and The Heart Sutra
  • إدارة التفكير : فكر بطريقة مختلفة، فكر بقوة، حقق مستويات جديدة من النجاح
  • The Blame Game: How the Hidden Rules of Credit and Blame Determine Our Success or Failure
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 1: Basic Principles
  • Living Color: The Biological and Social Meaning of Skin Color
  • The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention
  • The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys
  • What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming OCD
  • Selected Writings
For nearly half a century Joseph C. Pearce, who prefers to be known simply as Joe, has been probing the mysteries of the human mind. One of his overriding passions remains the study of what he calls the "unfolding" of intelligence in children. He is a self-avowed iconoclast, unafraid to speak out against the myriad ways in which contemporary American culture fails to nurture the intellectual, emot ...more
“We actually contain a built-in ability to rise above restriction, incapacity, or limitation and, as a result of this ability, possess a vital adaptive spirit that we have not yet fully accessed. While this ability can lead us to transcendence, paradoxically it can lead also to violence; our longing for transcendence arises from our intuitive sensing of this adaptive potential and our violence arises from our failure to develop it.” 8 likes