Start by marking “Rules for School” as Want to Read:
Rules for School

Rules for School

Scared of school? Don't worry. You can be cool and rule!

School is hard! There's a lot to know, like where to sit on the bus, how to find your way around the halls, and what to do to make sure you stay on your teacher's good side. Lucky for you Alec Greven has just turned eleven, and he's seen it all. Alec passes down his sixth-grade wisdom and gives advice that will help e
Published June 22nd 2010 by HarperCollins (first published June 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rules for School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules for School

Start your review of Rules for School
Angie
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
I so, so, so hope that Alec is still the one really writing these and it's not all a big hoax. I want to believe. 8]

First of all ... he is just SPOT ON with things that kids worry about or have trouble with.

Who wouldn't love this quote?

"My favorite time is Library because books are awesome. Tip: If you don't like a book, don't worry. There is a book for everyone. Ask the librarian to help you."

Of course, there are the lovely pen and ink drawings. I love the drawings in his books. He doesn't do t
Heidi-Marie
Weeding my J300s section. This not only passed the test, but has me wanting to take home to read to our kids. My stepdaughter begins Kindergarten in a few weeks. This might be fun to review with her. There are a couple of rules that I think are not quite right. But overall it is a fun, less preachy way to help kids be ready and excited for school in any year.
Josiah
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Always practical and completely honest in his advice for other kids, Alec Greven seems to divide the wisdom he has to offer in Rules for School into two general areas: encouragement to be proactive in preparing for reentry into school after the long summer layoff, and encouragement to be practical in accepting the realities of school, both the pleasant and the not-so-pleasant.

Readers who are new to the writing of Alec Greven might be surprised to find out how down-to-earth he is with the sugge
Rebecca Ashley Teague
11 year old Alex Greven wrote this book to give advice to students in Elementary school who are worried about starting back to school or going for the first time. Greven does a wonderful job of laying out rules and advice in a fun way that make it enjoyable for the reader. I feel like students would be able to easily relate and connect with this story because it is written by a young child not much older than they are. I would use this book during the first couple of weeks of school to help rein ...more
Sara Stalder
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
"Rules for School" is a cute book containing a fellow students Top 15 Rules to do well in school.

This book was alright. I can't say that it is one In would absolutely chose to read to a class of students. But it had a lot of really good tips and had cute, relatable language.
Jody
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: charlotte-s-web
This was quite good. Great concept, and the fact that it was written by a child was certainly pretty cool. Not too happy with some of the messages inside, but overall was a nice, approachable "rule" book for kids starting school.
Heather
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf-children
before I read this book, Todd and Parker read it together. They were laughing up a storm.
I enjoyed it, too. But, I enjoyed listening to them more.
Debbie
Vania Syawalia
Jul 19, 2014
Raymond Virtudazo
Oct 09, 2014
Alec Greven, 9, is a fourth grader from Castle Rock, Colorado. Alec Greven wrote a book called,”How To Talk To Girls.” Alec Greven impressed Ellen DeGeneres so much that she invited him to be on her show. Then, DeGeneres took Alec Greven to New York to meet HarperCollins Publishers. HarperCollins loved Greven’s book on “How To talk To Girls.” HarperCollins decided to publish Alec Greven’s book.

Ale