Start by marking “Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice” as Want to Read:
Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice

Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice

The achievement of students of color continues to be disproportionately low at all levels of education. More than ever, Geneva Gays foundational book on culturally responsive teaching is essential reading in addressing the needs of todays diverse student population. Combining insights from multicultural education theory and research with real-life classroom stories, Gay de ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Teachers College Press

To ask other readers questions about Culturally Responsive Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culturally Responsive Teaching

Emily
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emphasis on the big picture

While I appreciate being made to see the big picture (in this case, the need for CRT and descriptions of what CRT is) I would have liked more specific classroom examples. Also the references to a disproven theory "learning styles" is a concern.
This was a fine overview. I would prefer more techniques and less theory, but that's not what the author was trying to do. Could serve as a starting point for more research.
Shannon
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great introduction to culturally responsive pedagogy. Gay presents an impassioned plea for reform in order to improve the performance of students of colour in U.S. Schools. Her lessons apply in other areas as well including mine. Teaching students from a different culture than ours is challenging and Gay's book helps illustrate how teachers can leverage the students' own strengths to build on their success.

Gay's book provides a great counter argument to the pervasiveness of colour
Englishbookmonster
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! This book was written as a guide for current teachers in diverse classrooms. The chapters are divided helpfully throughout the book; making distinctions with pedagogical advice, the power that caring about culture, communication, curriculum, and praxis. Geneva suggests systemic changes and reform throughout the classroom and curriculum, especially across all school levels.
David Fox
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
There is no way I could have read this straight through. But, despite how much I hate admitting it. I enjoyed reading parts of it for class and it made me think. Yes, this is the same review as the other one. I hate that I didn't hate this book more. This one's chapters are too long.
Mona
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Bit more about the standards movement.
Carmen
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the most powerful and insightful books I've ever read. It would totally change your view of being a culturally responsive human being, not just a teacher.
Nick Zapadka