Start by marking “The Secret of Platform 13” as Want to Read:
The Secret of Platform 13

The Secret of Platform 13

When the beastly Mrs. Trottle kidnaps the prince to a magical island, it's up to a strange band of rescuers to save him. But can a hag, a wizard, a fey, and an invisible ogre really sneak around London unnoticed?
Published October 25th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Platform 13, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ferdy
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
A really fun, simple and magical read. It reminded me a lot of Harry Potter, what with platform 13 being like platform 9 and 3/4's, and Raymond/Ben were just like Dudley/Harry, and Mrs Trottle was sort of like Mrs Dursley.
Carly Green
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book has magic flowing throughout every word- I can't stress enough how much I love it. I still have the old copy from when I was very small, with my name shakily written on the inside cover. When we were asked at school what we thought heaven would be like, I simply read out Ibbotson's description of 'the island', an island with curving beaches, mermaids, hags and the all-important mistmakers. It manages to include everything a child would need to know about being good and kind, about how ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
One of my kids brought this book home from the school library several years ago and (true to form) I swiped it when they were done and read it.* I think younger Harry Potter fans would enjoy this book. As in the HP books, there's a platform at London's Kings Cross Station that leads to a different, magical world.** This magical porthole opens only once every nine years, for a nine-day period. Nine years ago, the baby prince of this magical land was kidnapped while visiting our world. And now tha ...more
Arielle Walker
I haven't read this since I was very, very small, and an adult re-read didn't disappoint. I can definitely see moments referenced in Harry Potter - the bratty, spoiled child in a delicious incident with a Knickerbocker Glory, to say the least - but as the Ibbotson herself has said she would "like to shake [J.K Rowling] by the hand. I think we all borrow from each other as writers." I can hardly take umbrage. Both books are fantastic, both authors equally so.
Jess
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Dahl, Rowling
Shelves: fantasy, juv
Chapter book - fantasy
For grades 2-7

An ogre, a wizard, a fey and a hag are sent to our world to rescue a young prince who was stolen as a baby in this humorous, low-fantasy adventure.

Every nine years, for nine days, a doorway is open between our world and the Island, which is inhabited by all manner of fantastical creatures; when four of these magical people come through to rescue their prince, the mix-ups and adventure that ensue are more than enough to keep any young fantasy fan entertained. I
Mo
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Meredith
I have a 7 year old granddaughter who is a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I think she would love this book. She (Meredith) has a birthday next month, and this will definately be one of her gifts.

Note: The parallels between The Secret of Platform 13 and Harry Potter are inescapable. This book actually was published 3 years before the first Harry Potter book. I appreciate the fact that it is not nearly as dark as the Harry Potter series.

Update: I gave this to Mere for her 8th birthday - March 25.
mytaakeonit
I read this because I had heard that it may have inspired JK Rowling to write Harry Potter. It is a very cute fantasy story, but meant for a young audience. Maybe third or fourth grade.
L.H. Johnson
Oh, oh, oh, my love for Eva Ibbotson utterly continues.

The Secret of Platform 13 is furiously magical and madly inventive. It's the story of a hidden island, wrapped away from the 'everyday' by magic and mists (mists made, fyi, by the *most* amazing creation ever - mistmakers, seal-like creatures who produce mist every time they hear beautiful music). The island is accessible through a secret door on Platform 13, Kings Cross which opens briefly every nine years.

The island is desperately missin
Kristin
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Wow...I'll never look at knitting needles the same way again. Thanks a lot, Soft Parts Doreen.

Seriously, though, why isn't this book a well-known classic? It was so charming and funny and addicting. It was like Roald Dahl with a bit of Narnia and Harry Potter thrown in. I loved the writing style, the characters, the plot, everything! What is it with the British and their children's books? They write kids' classics better than anyone else.

Every time I read a new middle grade, I'm hoping that it
Chris
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A quest to find a missing prince. A portal that opens for a few days every nine years. A rescue mission by a hand-picked team. Obstacles to be overcome -- or else disaster follows. Eva Ibbotson writes a witty narrative that combines a comedy of errors with incipient tragedy, likeable protagonists with a dastardly antagonist, familiar landmarks with an insular fairyland straight out of legend.

Forget cranky critics who archly suggest J K Rowling ripped off ideas from this fantasy for her Boy Who L
Jori Richardson
I was browsing through a thrift store, and when I saw this short little children's book, I decided to read it right on the spot.
I remember seeing this book everywhere when I was a younger teenager, but for some reason I never ended up reading it. It was probably during the years that I refused to read anything but historical fiction and classics (which, I must admit, still sounds loosely similar to how things are today).

But anyways.

In "The Secret of Platform 13," there is an Island somewhere (no
Morgan
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a sweet story.
It reminded me of Rowling (of course), and Roald Dahl rolled into one. Wish I would’ve read this when I was younger.
Nina
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fantasy
Years ago I got the German audiobook for my birthday or for Christmas. And I remember listening to it almost every day. Then - a while ago - I found the CD in one of my old CD boxes and listened to it again: And I still love the story so much.

So I decided to give the book to my cousin for his 11th birthday. I think he'll like it, too, because he read the whole Harry Potter series.
So that's the point: You can look at the story line for itself and it's great. Yet you can try to find all the thing
Meaghan
These are third grade student reviews!

MAEVE
This surprisingly twisty turny tale is about a fey, a magnificent wizard, a magical garden lady, and last, a floating eyeball (or an Ogre if you would be so kind.) They all live on an island in peace until someone no one knows steels the baby prince and everyone is dreadfully sad. This is when the story really begins…
No one except the rescuers know what’s in the world of London. The King and Queen make the rescuers set out to find their long lost son. O
Jason Pym
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
We were about half way through reading this, and I was thinking this is a very enjoyable Harry Potter rip-off, when I found out this came out a few years before Harry Potter and was actually one of J.K. Rowling's inspirations (I should probably put inspiration in quotes, but I like her too much).

This is really a lot of fun, great to read aloud to children, and we're definitely hunting down more books by her.
Namratha
My foray into the crazy world of Eva Ibbotson continues!

Platform 13 at London Station has remained shut since a very long time. But any attempts to make renovations always....always get botched up. The reason being that Platform 13 hides a "gump" : an opening to a secret, utopian island. It is a blissful place, ruled by a well-loved King and Queen and plays home to all kinds of humans, animals and magical creatures. However the gump opens once in nine years for nine hours only. So anyone who wan
Jess Hancock
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My year 4 bookclub chose this as their second read.
To be honest when I first started reading I didn't know how on earth I was going to help them draw anything from the story. It was slow starting, a little confusing, slightly vague, but then suddenly the pace changes and it turns into a wonderful little mystical adventure story.
I did enjoy the story and liked that I could draw references to books and movies such as; Harry Potter, Prince Caspian, flushed Away and Janes Bond.
At book club, the t
Deshana Desai
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was expecting loads from this book. It is one of those books recommended as a relief to those going through severe Harry Potter withdrawal. I expected magic and being left in wonder and amazement (the effect magic usually has on a reader). But it thoroughly failed to meet expectations. The magical gump, caves, mermaids, a ragtag group of individuals for the most important quest, 'stealing' a baby; all these were examples of elements that didn't work.

The world building was too cautious - it fe
Eleni
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
After a tough academic year, I wanted to start off my summer reading with something light and sweet, so I picked this book as my choice because, when, I was researching for my Harry Potter course, this book was mentioned in relation to the seperation of worlds and the protagonist not knowing how famous he was in the other, magical world.

When the baby Prince from the hidden Island is kidnapped (because his nurses are dying for some fish and chips!), he cannot be brought back immediately because
Ida
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is full of humor and heart. It is written in a whimsical tone not unlike that of Howl's Moving Castle, but this book is written for a younger group of readers. The characters are somewhat archetypal, but they are still very intriguing, and I adored Odge and Ben. I wish the island was explored more in the story, because I would love to travel there through the gump, experience its mythological wonders, and befriend the kind and humble islanders. I want to meet the mistmakers especially ...more
Jane Potter
I remember loving this novel when I was a kid. It was one of the first fantasy novels I ever read. And I was excited to reread it.

The story is easy to get into and fun to read. I love the simplicity of the plot and the fun fantasy elements in the characters and their interactions. it's pretty easy to figure out where the story is going but that wasn't a surprise for a children's novel.

Ben is so easy to love and root for. Raymond was so ridiculous I had to laugh at him over and over. And I love
Lucy
There was a lot to like about this book, but unfortunately, I found a lot to dislike too. The extremely fatphobic descriptions of the Dudley Dursley-esque character and his mother were deeply off-putting, and the description of the harpies might be the most misogynistic two pages I've read in a long while. I was really disappointed, as Eva Ibbotson's A Countess Below Stairs is one of my favorite books of all time, and her descriptive power is top notch - although now I worry that a reread might ...more
Imogen T
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was first read it as a Year 6 student. Eva Ibbotson is a highly underrated author whose books combine magic and mystery with comedy and morals. I still read this book to this day as an adult and hope to keep reading it.
Maria Casale
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I love this book! Wish I had found it as a kid, it would definitely have been one of my read over and over favorites. Funny, delightful and surprising.
Keri
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, pg-count-200s
Most obvious ending ever.
Daisy Magner
Jk Rowling is a thief and that’s the tea
Rachel
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet book, loved the story.
Laurie
Flourish & Blotts Golden Trio Challenge 2019
Prompt 39, Arithmancy: Read a book with a number in the title
vaugnfreech
Mar 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw a copy of this at Booksale some years ago. The title is catchy enough: The Secret of Platform 13. Which sounds like, Platform 9 3/4. Harry Potter rip off? I didn't mind.

Then I saw a bargain copy lately, back to back books by Eva Ibbotson for only 55 Php. Cool enough. Two books: The Secret of Platform 13 and Island of the Aunts. I started reading The Secret of Platform 13 as soon as possible. I was inspired when I saw the publishing year: 1994. Harry Potter was first published 1997. So the
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Read this years ago and loved it and just now re-read it for a grad class and loved it still.

Eva Ibbotson introduces her readers to an island that is essentially a sanctuary for those that have gotten tired of the busy, stinking reality of real life. There are banshees, giants, warlocks, nymphs--anything you could ever possibly think of being in any kind of fairy tale you have ever read. The Island can be gotten to from the normal human world every nine years through special mounds called "gumps

• Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • I Was a Rat!
  • The Witch Trade
  • Time Stops for No Mouse
  • Otto and the Flying Twins
  • Beyond the Pawpaw Trees: The Story of Anna Lavinia
  • Regarding the Fountain: A Tale, in Letters, of Liars and Leaks
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Midnight Magic (Midnight Magic, #2)
  • The Witch Family
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The Arkadians
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue, #1)
  • Dark Quetzal (The Echorium Sequence, #3)
  • A Wolf at the Door: And Other Retold Fairy Tales
  • School of Wizardry
Eva Ibbotson (born Maria Charlotte Michelle Wiesner) was a British novelist specializing in romance and children's fantasy.

She was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1925. When Hitler came into power, her family moved to England. She attended Bedford College, graduating in 1945; Cambridge University from 1946-47; and the University of Durham, from which she graduated with a diploma in education in 1965.
“It's true that adventures are good for people even when they are very young. Adventures can get in a person's blood even if he doesn't remember having them. ” 1622 likes
“Smells are odd things. They follow you about when you’re not thinking about them, but when you put your nose to where they ought to be, they aren’t there. The” 4 likes