Start by marking “Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

Murder on the Orient Express

(Hercule Poirot #10)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  350,798 ratings  ·  22,266 reviews
Just after midnight, a snowdrift stops the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train is surprisingly full for the time of the year, but by the morning it is one passenger fewer. An American tycoon lies dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside.

Isolated and with a killer in their midst, detective Hercule Poirot must identify the
Paperback, Agatha Christie Signature Edition, 347 pages
Published June 4th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 1934)

·  350,798 ratings  ·  22,266 reviews

Start your review of Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
Emily May
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it

When all the other little girls wanted to be princesses - do you know what I wanted to be? And no, it wasn't a vampire, either... it was...

HERCULE POIROT'S SIDEKICK!!!

The fact that I actually took the time to edit my face into that picture should tell you something about a) my Poirot love, and b) the kind of hopelessly boring day I have suffered through :D

Zoë
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Agatha Christie novel and it definitely did not disappoint! I was not expecting that ending, which is obviously a good thing in a murder mystery story, but I am proud of myself for picking up on some other clues. I am so impressed by how she was able to weave this intricate of a story in only 200 pages and I can't wait to pick up another one of her novels in the future!
James
5 stars to Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. I chose to read this Christie spectacular after finishing "And There Were None." She's such a treasure - never disappoints.

A train. A murder. Multiple suspects. Nearly an alibi for everyone. But wait, there's a motive for everyone. How did this seemingly impossible murder occur? Hercule Poirot knows.

Well, I'm glad he did because I was stumped! But with good reason as this plot twist will have your knickers locked down (and not just in a
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
If you're on a train (or boat, or island), planning to commit a nice, unsolvable murder, and you find out Hercule Poirot is one of the guests . . . Just change your plans. That is all.

description

I'd like to know if anyone has ever solved this particular murder mystery. It's mind-boggling, and deservedly one of Agatha Christie's better-known books.
emma
I’m pretty astounded by how much fun this was.

I mean, this may be just me, but “early-to-mid-twentieth century mystery about train crime” doesn’t exactly scream nonstop thrill ride. But here we are!

I’m also not sure why it took me so long to write this review (two months, to be exact, so actually not that long for me but still) but again, here we are.

I don’t actually really want to say much on this book, which is astounding in its own right because my number one hobby is making up various excus
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”The train, it is as dangerous as a sea voyage!”

So, this was my first Agatha Christie book and considering how much fun I had while I read it, it definitely won’t be my last. ;-)

Yes, you read correctly and your mind didn’t play tricks on you:

I had F.U.N!!!

I actually enjoyed reading this so much I constantly found myself giggling with delight! *lol* I swear there’s nothing better than a mystery or a puzzle you need to solve and I guess in this particular case it might have even been both! ;-
Tina Haigler
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
Well, ladies and gentlemen. That was fantastic! I mean, what can I say? Agatha Christie was a genius. So is David Suchet who narrated the audiobook (and played Poirot in the TV show).

This story is set on a filled to capacity train, heading from Stamboul (Istanbul) to London. It's the middle of winter and the snow has built up on the tracks and forced the train to a standstill on it's way through Yugoslavia (an area that is now in Croatia). This is when the murder is discovered, which luckily for
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Wahoo! I'm finally going to read a Poirot book! I have the complete blu-ray box set and love this series so much! And now I get start on one of the books! =)

The wonderful Hercule Poirot can not ever go on any holidays without someone being murdered. But, never-the-less he will figure it out.

And a murder has taken place upon the Orient Express.

The man murdered in named Ratchett, but we find out later on in the story this is an alias. Poirot has simply uncovered that the murderer is on the tra
Dita
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Mind blown, Agatha!

I enjoyed this but kept trying to figure out why this one is better known and more remembered than Aggie’s others and then? And then? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

Holy $%!!!

I highly recommend the audio for this one; Kenneth Branagh's voice is buttahhh, Baby.

I think I ovulated just listening to him.
Cristina Monica
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics

Sacrée Agatha Christie!

She was pretty darn amazing.

I must say I never read and so much liked a book with such a boring constant setting. I mean a train? Come on, how exciting can that get? … Apparently, though, it is a great setting for mystery cases! I just now remember watching ‘‘The Tourist’’ with Angelina Jolie, and wasn’t the scene in the train the one that was going to have in impact on everything to come? Yes, it was! Trains are fast, they create blurred lines, and they are filled with st
Matthew
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fear it is impossible to say too much about this book without spoilers. Because of this I will be brief so you can never go back and say, "I would have loved this book, but that Matthew guy from Goodreads ruined it for me!" So, here is my quick but hopefully useful review.

This is a classic mystery. You like mysteries? You have to have to read this!

Characters are great! So much fun meeting and learning about them all.

Current mysteries have nothing on Christie. This is very intricate and very f
Amalia Gavea
‘’Some crimes God does not forgive!’’

Last week, I watched (for the gazillionth time…) ITV’s 2010 production of ‘’Murder on the Orient Express’’ with the inimitable David Suchet in the role of our beloved Hercule Poirot and it prompted certain thoughts in my mind. Why is this considered one of Christie’s finest creations? Many say that, arguably, it is her best work and this view I do share.

I don’t think any of us need a synopsis. To say the story is well-known would be an understatement. Eve
Hannah Greendale
A train stopped at midnight in the snow.
A dead body found in a compartment.
Twelve stab wounds leave no doubt it was murder.
And Hercule Poirot, tasked with solving the crime, is certain the culprit is a passenger on the Orient Express.

The first clue that Murder on the Orient express will be a laborious read arrives shortly after the murder victim is discovered. Among the clues is a scrap of paper which reads (view spoiler) From this clue
megs_bookrack
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Murder on the Orient Express is one of Agatha Christie's most well known and most loved works.

Adapted for radio, film and television, most people have some idea to what you are referring when you mention it.

A classic whodunit with all of Christie's signature stylings.

I adore Hercule Poirot and grew up binging Christie's works. I read this book as a child, and of course, have watched a couple of the movie adaptations.

In spite of that, I still had a rollicking good time reading this again. Ther
Brina
It is three days before Chanukah break and my house will be full. Thankfully, even if it’s for four and a half days, all my kids are off at the same time. That 875 page Pulitzer winner, as much as I’d love to read it, admittedly is not going to happen. Between cleaning and guests and the football team that graces my avatar here, I do not have much “brain power” left for anything that requires higher level thinking. A favorite author Anna Quindlen notes that reading leads to rereading leads to wr ...more
Anne
If you've never read one of her books, this one sums up the Agatha Christie experience quite nicely.
As in: You will never solve her mysteries.
Don't bother trying, because it will only infuriate you when you find out that the answer to the whodunnit is something far-fetched & entirely unbelievable.
Roll with it, I say! Just trust that the little Belgian detective will eventually make everything all right, and settle in for a cute (albeit old-timey) mystery.

description

I'm not gonna bore you with a plot synops
jessica
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
i cant even begin to tell you how much it bothers me that i had the audacity to start a series with book 10… but ive heard each book can be read as a standalone and this is the most popular poirot story, so i really need to get over it. lol.

maybe its because i committed the sin of seeing the film before reading the book, but i found this to be very average. not overwhelming, not underwhelming. just whelming. so lets break it down.

pros:
- the straightforward way the characters are presented, how
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book mostly in preparation for the 2017 film adaption, but I've always been curious about Agatha Christie. She's been recommended to me multiple different times over the course of my life, but I never felt the time was quite right to pick up one of her novels until now.

The premise is very straightforward; master detective Hercule Poirot happens to be aboard the Orient Express rail car when one of the passengers is killed in the night. He is then set to the task of solving the crime
Celeste
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make. I’ve never read an Agatha Christie novel. Why is this a big deal, you might be asking yourself if you have also never jumped on the Christie train. (Train? Get it? Because this entire book takes place on a train! *laughs forever at own joke*) Well, I’m a life-long bookworm, with a degree in English literature to prove it. And Agatha Christie is the unarguable queen of an entire genre. Did you know that Agatha Christie is the best selling novelist of all time, second ...more
Anne(marie)
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 🌟

This was my first, but definitely not my last, Agatha Christie book, and I truly loved it!
It was a wonderful mystery that kept me guessing the whole way through.
I really liked the structure of the novel. Each character getting their own chapter was a genius idea, it really helped me to get to know them. All of them seemed realistic and well developed, which was surprising, considering the amount of people and the rather short length of the book.
The writing style was very atmo
Alejandro
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, politics, detective
All aboard to the mystery!

WILL THE REAL POIROT PLEASE STAND UP?

My visual memory of the famous fictional detective Hercule Poirot is the actor Sir Peter Ustinov, yes, I know, he doesn’t look like he’s described on books (and even according Agatha Christie’s daughter, he doesn’t behave on screen like the book detective) but when I was a kid, I’ve never read any Agatha Christie’s novels, meanwhile I have watched several of the theatrical films and TV movies made by Peter Ustinov and along w
Paula Terrado
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, how do i start this? Is it possible to be shocked and not shocked at the same time? I mean, that should be a normal reaction for reading this book. Honestly, i don’t know how i’ll make a good review for this but i’ll give it a try.

First of all, i’d like to say that this is one of the best books i’ve ever read in my 23 years of living. I don’t think i’m exaggerating though.

Second, the way the story was written, the details, the clues — it’s like you, as the reader, are the one solving the c
Kemper
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
All aboard the murder train!

A long time ago when I was in high school and dinosaurs still roamed the earth I read a whole bunch of Agatha Christie novels. The weird thing is that I was never that big of a fan of hers. I was getting into mystery novels, she’s one of the best known writer in the genre, and the local library had a whole bunch of her stuff. At some point I realized that I prefer my murders to be a bit less civilized, and I moved onto other styles of the genre without giving much tho
Joey Woolfardis
“But I know human nature, my friend, and I tell you that, suddenly confronted with the possibility of being tried for murder, the most innocent person will lose his head and do the most absurd things.”

This was my first ever read of an Agatha Christie novel and my very first formal introduction to Hercule Poirot, the indomitable Belgian detective. It is perhaps the most famous of the Poirot novels and, being English and being a voracious bookwyrm, I was acutely aware of this book. My mind has not
Henry Avila
The lone train chugs down the tract westward, in the cold, dark, winter's night, over a country that no longer exists, from Istanbul,Turkey, to Calais, France, then across the English Channel by boat, for home, a long, tedious, three day trip. For Hercule Poirot, just having successfully wrapped up a case, in Syria, yet he's summoned again to another. No vacation, for the tired man, London calls and he goes...The little Belgian detective (please stop calling him French), is much in demand. Becom ...more
Sean Gibson
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All right, someone needs to tell this Janie-come-lately hack Agatha Christie to stop cribbing a page from the Snakes on a Plane handbook with her titles.

Who does she think she is, infringing on the territory of the redoubtable Samuel L. Jackson? Good luck having a future in this business, lady, with those kinds of backdoor shenanigans.*

There’s no way this stakes**-on-a-train whodunit is going to register as more than a blip on the mystery-reading public’s consciousness, given that the bumbling
Nandakishore Varma
I do not like to write reviews of whodunits: you can't do justice to the analysis without explaining what happened in detail, but then it spoils the story for whoever has not read it. So, for those mystery lovers who have not read The Murder on the Orient Express so far, I will post a single line review: Go and read it! This one rocks! What are you waiting for?

Now, the review for fellow mystery and Christie lovers who have read the book(or like me, re-read umpteen number of times till the pages
Justin
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
You know what I love about this book, Goodreads? You wanna know what makes this book just a downright pleasure to read? It’s just a good old-fashioned murder mystery with no frills, no multiple timelines, not big plot twists, no no no no. It’s not that at all.

It’s just a short little mystery with an overwhelming cast of characters to keep track of, and, gee whiz, are these guys eccentric. And they all could be a suspect.

So here’s how the book breaks down:

There is a murder on the Orient Express
Erin
Murder on the Orient Express is my second Agatha Christie novel. The first was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd which I loved and like Murder on the Orient Express I didn't guess the killer. Agatha Christie is The Best-Selling novelist of all time and pretty much invented and perfected the whodunit. Orient is neatly crafted, elegant and fun.

All of Christie's novels(I'm basing this on all 2 of her books, I've read) have a simple layout, A murder is committed, an array of suspects and just enough info
Melisa
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally, I’ve read this book! And now I can see the new movie. Agatha and Poirot are geniuses.

• A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • The Firm
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)
  • The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
  • Rebecca
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • The Complete Sherlock Holmes
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3)
  • Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)

Articles featuring this book

“The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.” 2527 likes
“If you confront anyone who has lied with the truth, he will usually admit it - often out of sheer surprise. It is only necessary to guess right to produce your effect.” 141 likes