Start by marking “Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)” as Want to Read:
Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)

Unfit to Practice

(Nina Reilly #8)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,309 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
It's the moment every lawyer fears most...one careless moment that threatens careers, reputations and lives. For Nina Reilly, it will change everything, igniting a case where her own clients are witnesses against her, and where the defendant is Nina herself.
Unknown Binding, 416 pages
Published August 28th 2003 by Not Avail (first published 2002)

Bodosika Bodosika
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: legal-thrillers
This is my first book by Perri O' Shaughnessy and I intend to read every of her books,It is an interesting book and anyone who like reading John Grisham will certainly like it.
Why not try one of her books because you we never regret it.
Debby
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: legal suspense series readers
I really enjoy the collaborative writing effort of the O'Shaughnessy sisters (Pam & Mary) as Perri O'Shaughnessy. I have really enjoyed this Nina Reilly series. If you like John Grisham, Michael Connelly's Lincoln Lawyer series, for example, I really think you'll like this series by Perri O'Shaughnessy.
Unfit to Practice was especially good; fast paced and full of suspense. Nina Reilly arrives home late one rainy night and, having lost the key to her Bronco and is using a spare key, she hurr
Jerry B
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Mediocre 8th entry in Nina Reilly series lacks suspense...

Sisters Pamela and Mary O'Shaughnessy, writing as "Perri", have obviously developed a fan base with seven prior defense attorney Nina Reilly stories. Unfortunately for us, this was our first try by the women, and we seem to have been stuck with one of their poorer efforts. The most exciting thing to happen in the plot was Nina's Bronco being stolen, complete with three confidential client files in the back seat. When all three cases sudd
C Joy
I read this series out of order and I don't mind one bit. This is another gripping tale in Nina's life as a lawyer. Perri O'Shaughnessy's writing style kept me reading page after page until I was anxious and palpitating. I liked how the courtroom drama was presented in the book, I always say this in my reviews and I'm not tired of saying it: it's like watching the real thing - how lawyers manipulate the questioning, the justice system, and how some people are psychologically twisted.

The conflict
Nalini
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lawreads
Okay so, maybe its because, prior to reading this book, I was caught in a web of Kings, Queens, broken betrothals and Knights, that I found it a bit trying.

All in all, it read like a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boy book, there was a good amount of suspense in the book, the plot was fairly decent, but the ending was too fast and jumbled and left me thinking "That's it?" I mean all through the book, there was a constant build up to this twisted, maniacal plot to bury this upcoming, female lawyer. But then i
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
An attorney's worst nightmare. Nina's bronco is stolen. What's so bad? Three of her most crucial cases are in there with notes she wrote about the clients. So what Paul does is get her a lawyer. But not just any lawyer, Jack. The ex-husband of Nina Reilly. But the worst is yet to come. All of her cases are making an appearance. The most important details, lies, etc. are beginning to make her clients in danger for their lives and Nina is starting to lose her cases. But the most is still yet to co ...more
Marty
Jun 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty good whodunit, with the heroine< Nina Reilly threatened with the possible loss of her profession as an attorney due to suspicious happenings. While the book was a pretty good page-turner for me, I found myself critical of some of the later chapters that contained some "contrived" situations that called my attention to the writing, rather than the story. The ending was rough - not a smoothly flowing one and didn't deliver as well as the rest of the book. That said, I will still probably ...more
Susan
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Attorney Nina Reilly's car is stolen along with three confidential client files--a child custody case, an insurance case and a possible murder case. Before long all three cases begin to implode, and then she is threatened with disbarment. I enjoyed the earlier books in the series very much, but did not find this one as interesting, perhaps because the Lake Tahoe setting was not a big part of the story.
Faye Hope
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like books by Perri O'Shaughnessy & I enjoy reading about Nina Reilly & the cases she works on. Need to find all of them & read from 1st to last.
Jyoti Dahiya
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Nina Reilly, the legal eagle who is almost too good to be true, is working on her relationship with Paul, her investigator, when, one tired night, she leaves her client files in her car (actually, her truck; Americans call those monster machines cars for some reason that the rest of humanity cannot fathom). Sure enough, in the morning, her car has been stolen, with the files. The car finds its way back, thanks to police who really don't like a defense lawyer, and don't believe they were there to ...more
Alton Motobu
Steve Clark
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Nina loses important confidential files when her SUV is stolen. Someone is leaking information from the files in ways that damage her clients. As a result, Nina faces potential disbarment. Can she and her lover/investigator Paul uncover the truth in time to save her career? I liked this one a bit more than some others.
Judy Alexander
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Jack Zhong
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rushed to finish the book; good entertainment when you want something light and leisure.
Shaaron K Cypher
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not one of her best. Very slow reading.
Jay
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
mediocre
Ed
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: legal, thriller
#8 in the Nina Reilly series.

Nina Reilly series - South Lake Tahoe attorney Nina Reilly puts the lawyer in the defendant's chair. Ever since she was a little girl, Nina has believed that rules are what people use to make sense of the world and that law is a way of enforcing the rules to keep the world sane. But when her truck is stolen, along with her three most sensitive case files, her sane world turns topsy-turvy. In the wrong hands, those files could compromise a client's chance at fair visi
Angie.
Jul 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Readers
This book was an interesting tale of lawyers and deception and kept me guessing until the end. I actually listened to it as opposed to reading it, and constantly found myself looking for some time to get back to my MP3 player to learn a little more.
I had never heard of this author before and was pleased with my find, but it didn't compare with some of the bigger names that I've read before.
Pam
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow.... Just wow. A one day read, if that says anything (other than I didn't clean). Great job linking 3 cases with "professional adversaries" with a couple surprises thrown in at the end. Not sure I'd have guessed outcomes, tho not wholly unexpected .... Racing now to grab the next one in the series.
Becky Schulman
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nina Reilly is an attorney who becomes the client when several of her most sensitive case files are stolen and then are released in ways that cause the most harm. Nina's clients complain to the state bar and she has to fight to keep her license while reputations are being ruined and people begin to die.
Diane Wachter
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HB-B @ 2002, 10/02. Nina Reilly's truck is stolen outside her home with her briefcase in the back seat. The briefcase contains files about three of her most sensitive cases. Her clients, harmed by secrets revealed from these files, file complaints against Nina. Nina must fight against disbarment by the State Bar of California, to save her reputation, and her practice. Very good.
Bethie Eaton
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is one of many in a series- I didn't realize it until I started reading. I went to the library and tried to find some from the start of the series. Decent book.

Perri O'Shaughnessy is the pen name for Pamela & Mary O'Shaughnessy (two sisters)who have co-written the Nina Reilly series.
Maurean
Apr 23, 2008 rated it liked it
I found this to be a good, little legal thriller. This was my first foray into the O'Shaughnessy sisters work, and I enjoyed it enough that I will go back and read this series from the beginning. Perhaps, had I read others previously, the characters would have been more 'familiar', but I didn't find that detracted from the story, at all
Marti
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
i was surprised to find a nina reilly book by the two sisters, that i hadn't already read. in this one, nina seems a lot less organized as he loses three files with intake notes. Former husband Jack comes to her rescue, as does of course, her current squeeze Paul van Wagoner. there are all sorts of twists and turns and at times, it seems as though nina will fail. does she? what do you think?
Cathie
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-mysteries
A great Nina Reilly book filled with struggles and I admire her more with each book! She is questioning her choice of becoming a lawyer in this one. I thought this was creatively done with very different three cases interwoven. I learned even more about Lake Tahoe, business owners and how the legal system works. It is good to read these in order, which I didn't know when I discovered them.
Memo
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Started off quiet good and kept me guessing - for a bit - ending lets it down - so much effort and research and then kind of rushes at the end with absolutely no atmosphere or suspense - almost like the author(s) just couldnt wait to finish it or had a deadline they were gonna miss - truly falls apart - shame.
Kim L.
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
It has been a while since I read any of this series. Delving into it felt like I hadn't left. I love the descriptions of Tahoe. Nina Reilly is a likeable strong character who faces real life legal ethics issues. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Jim Stennett
I'm not really a fan of courtroom dramas, but this was on my shelf for so long it was turning yellow (about 10 years), so I broke down and read it. Not bad. Good set up and investigation. Ending is a bit convenient, but I think they all are these days.
Mary
I wanted to feel the setting of Lake Tahoe, but the writing is pedestrian. it's a very average mystery novel, and the author doesn't really evoke the place. Lake Tahoe is just a name, it could be anywhere.
Ginny
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, pre-2005
I enjoy this series featuring Nina Reilly, however this is not the best of the series. It is a very good set up and puts Nina on the defensive, trying to save her career in addition to her clients, but it just doesn't keep the tension going.
  • Silent Justice (Ben Kincaid, #9)
  • Fairy Tale
  • Every Woman Needs a Wife
  • Istri Pilihan (Bride Wanted)
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • A Killing Night (Max Freeman, #4)
  • The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life
  • Force For Change: How Leadership Differs from Management
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • Cutting Edge (Charles Resnick, #3)
  • A NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Immoral Certainty (Butch Karp, #3)
  • Shadow of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
  • The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)
  • The 13th Apostle
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • Suspicion of Madness (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #7)
  • Good Night, Sweet Butterflies: A Color Dreamland
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist

Nina Reilly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)