Start by marking “The Good Life: Up the Yukon Without a Paddle” as Want to Read:
The Good Life: Up the Yukon Without a Paddle

The Good Life: Up the Yukon Without a Paddle

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Dorian Amos—a painter from Cornwall—and his wife decided that they were in need of adventure. Having searched their world atlas they decided to sell up and move to Canada in pursuit of a better life. Having bought Pricey the car, Boris Lock their faithful dog, a canoe and their fishing equipment they set off into the Yukon Wilderness to find a place they could call home. A ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about The Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Life

David Canford
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is more than just another wilderness adventure story. A couple leave their safe life in England and risk all to carve out a life in Canada’s Yukon. They find they are capable of things they never knew they could do, which is fortunate otherwise it seems they would have died. It is also a philosophical book challenging us to assess what being alive really means. I agree that modern life often dulls our sense of how exhilarating life can be, though personally I would probably go for somewhere ...more
Phil Bird
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's a good read, I enjoyed joining the couple on their journey. It's light but engaging. There are obvious hardships endured, but nothing deep is exposed about it, so it's not soul searching or illuminating, but it is a good journey with twists and turns.
Eye Books
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: titles
“Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." The words of JW Goethe might well have been ringing in the ears of Mr Amos as he dreamed, planned and executed his Yukon project.

I suspect that very, very many of us can identify with step one, the dream; a few of us might even make a few plans, but how many of us have carried it through to completion? The very fact of having gone through with such a crazy adventure is enough reason to want to read this book; but the quality of the wr
Sue
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
So when you get bored with your job in Cornwall, what do you do? Well, you go and have an adventure living in the Yukon!!! A diary account of a couple's adventures in the wilderness. Very little money - everything made from scratch. Could empathasise with their feelings regarding the wonder of nature and admire them for their bravery and courage in making the change and enjoyed reading about it but it's not for me!!
Sally906
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Dorian Amos was a cartoonist from Cornwall, he and his wife decided that they were in need of adventure, so they gave up their comfortable life and traveled to Yukon Territory in the remote Canadian wilderness. I found myself aghast at some of the really, really stupid and irresponsible things they did, it is a wonder they survived, BUT they had an unshakable belief in their dream to live in the Yukon and they did not give up at all in following that dream – though they did think about it.
Bruce
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guy was mad. But inspirationally so. Definitely a great read, and helps put life into perspective. Live life purposefully is what i remember most from it. And if you were building a 'house' in 40degrees C below you would feel like you were!
Ain_j
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
As daily life become the same routine, i always look for something different. This book give me some new perspective of hunting adventures everyday!
Amy
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not the most elegant writing, but an inspiring story and very funny. Makes me want to go gold panning and makes me want to make the most of my partner in life.
Gary
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great story, although the style can be irritating early on. It gets better though.
Stedwards
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
this guy is really stupid and its incredible hes alive. but the yukon sounds beautiful.
Shane holmes
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
loved it. i have nothing but respect for he and his wife for taking that step, and am grateful he shared his experience with such humor and heart.
Charlotte Barron