Start by marking “The Night Killer (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #8)” as Want to Read:
The Night Killer (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #8)

The Night Killer (Diane Fallon #8)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  748 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Forensic investigator Diane Fallon fights for her life in her eighth mystery

Diane is driving through a downpour on a windy mountain road after picking up a set of rare Indian artifacts when a tree suddenly slams across the hood of her car, revealing a human skeleton in its hollow trunk. As she starts to investigate, she's ambushed by a stranger and forced to run for her
Published (first published April 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Killer

Diane
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was that a banjo I hear playing in the distance? Diane Fallon starts out with adding an impressionable collection of arrow heads donated by a lovely old couple that live in a very secluded home in the mountains. A major thunder and lightening storm strikes on her way down the mountain, before you can blink a tree falls on her SUV and with it a skeleton cemented into the hollow of the tree. The home owners where this happens are very sketchy and it appears they would do harm to anyone and everyon ...more
Elvan
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeletons falling out of trees, multiple murders, red-neck power-hungry elected officials and the usual dash of caving and forensics.

Another entertaining read brought to you by the vivid imagination of Beverly Connor.

Jan
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Dr. Diane Fallon is an extremely interesting character. She is the director of a small museum in Georgia and the head of the county's crime scene investigation unit. The combination of the two make for some very interesting situations.
Jen
Nov 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2010
I'm fond of the Diane Fallon forensic anthropologist mysteries - and this one has some very nice bits. However, I felt in places like the plot was reaching a bit too much. However, I really enjoyed parts of it, and there are some lovely character moments throughout.
Bette Jacobson
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diane Fallon series, I am still reading out-of-order because haven’t been able to locate copies of all title in order. Well written, entertaining with likeable characters
Christy
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forensic anthropologist Dr. Diane Fallon, director of the RiverTrail Museum of Natural History and the Rosewood, GA crime lab, is returning from a trip to the mountains of Rendell County, Georgia where she arranged for the loan of an arrowhead collection from Roy Barre. Diane’s SUV is struck by a tree during a storm and a skeleton rolls across the hood of her car. Unsettled by this, Diane gets out of her vehicle and is accosted by a stranger. She escapes into the forest, pursued by the stranger’ ...more
Susan
Oct 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forensic investigator Diane Fallon is driving through a downpour on a mountain road after picking up a set of Indian artifacts when a tree suddenly slams across the hood of her car, revealing a human skeleton in its hollow trunk. As she starts to investigate, she's ambushed by a nasty stranger and forced to run for her life. Stranded in the night, with dogs tracking her, she encounters a mysterious man who helps. Then just when she comes upon a dwelling and feels finally safe, she discovers the ...more
Samantha
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
No messing about in Beverly Connor's books on page 5 we have a skeleton by page 20 we have 2 more murder victims. As one review I read on goodreads (sorry can't remember the name) said the Fallon series is always a bit of a personal crusade pitting Diane against the "hicks" of local law enforcement but this instalment was even more so, however, I much prefer the parts of the story that concentrate on Diane's team working to put the pieces of a mystery together. That for me is when the story come ...more
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forensic archeologist Diane Fallon is driving home on a winding mountain road in heavy rain when a tree suddenly hits the hood of her car, revealing the skeleton hidden within its hollow trunk.

As she gets out her car for a closer look, a strange man tries to grab her and she runs for her life into the woods ... she seeks refuge further up the mountain road with friends but makes another startling discovery, they have been murdered in the few short hours since she left them.

What begins as a terri
Taylor Tyler
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This installment of the Diane Fallon Forensic Investigator series really picked up from the last book. I've found in this series that all the books are enjoyable, but there are some you just can't put down. By reading the synopsis on the back, you may think the book is about her night in the woods but it's not. I was a little disappointed since I thought it was going to be very different than previous books. However, I wasn't disappointed for long. I found the story very interesting and enjoyed ...more
Kathryn
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Round and round she goes, who the killer is, nobody knows. Well, actually Beverly Connor is very good at wrapping everything up. The plot takes many twists and turns leaving you constantly guessing as to the identity of the killer and the reasons behind the murders. If you pay attention and work at it a bit you should be able to figure out who did it and why. A very fast paced enjoyable mystery.
Marja McGraw
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm currently reading this one, but I've read others in the series already. I thoroughly enjoy the Diane Fallon series. It can be a little graphic from time to time, but the author doesn't belabor the violence and consequences. This is a forensic investigation series and the stories are intriguing.

Very well-written, and I've started reading another series by this author, too.
Dantegideon
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the most well-crafted of the stories so far. Genuinely gripping. Dialogue still quite clunky though!

"There's some of your favourite science fiction on TV tonight," Frank smiled.

"Humans don't talk like that, Frank."

"Darn," said Frank. "It's back to the robot factory for me!"
April
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I enjoyed this book, I saw the twist coming way in advance. I really liked the characters in the book and liked the new character that was introduced to the gang. I really love this series, and I know there is only one book left. I hope it's not the conclusion, because I'm not ready for it to end yet.
Phillipa
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Again, I enjoyed this one. I like the series but I suspect it is getting a little formulaic. Every one I read has the lead character ending up personally embroiled and attacked in some way ... which I suspect is not how it happens in real life at all, ever.

That said I still enjoy the characters and will keep reading.
Mary Beth
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grace
Shelves: mystery
Well. I really enjoyed this one! This is a real page turner right from the get go. It starts off with a car accident in a rain storm and just keeps you on the edge of your seat. I couldn't put it down.
Nicole
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found this book at an auction, going into the book i hadn't realized it was a "series." However, besides a few mentions to previous events, it read fine without having read the others. The book was so fascinating that I almost immediately ordered the first and second book.
Em
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Each book follows a specific formula, in which at least two storylines may or may not connect by the end of the book. The villain(s) in this one was/were a bit too obvious but it's also possible I read too many of these back to back and am just ready for a break / different type of book again.
Shirley
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Loved it. Like Diane Fallon character, and though I guessed the guilty party fairly early, still found it a really good read. Couple planning to donate arrowheads to museum mysteriously found dead; more deaths follow.
Dolf Patijn
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner again.
Larry
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't wait to finish it and be done with it. I knew who the killer was as soon as they were introduced.
Mary
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-fiction-read
Not quite as good as the others.
Deedee
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! Could not put the book down. Recommend.
Leslie Angel
A good series. This one's scary, a little predictable but not completely. Quite a few plots, don't want to give any away.
Kay
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Enjoyable middle-of-the-road mystery, just right for this busy time of year. I will probably read the rest in the series, kindly loaned to me by a friend.
David
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Only one more to read in this series and have enjoyed it enormously.
Meghan
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good story, I like the characters, and even though I read it out of order, it wasn't hard to follow new characters.
Y
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Search for gold.
Tracy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing book by Beverly. This is definitely one of my favorites - full of twists and turns that left me breathless to the very end.
Kathleen
good enough to try another by this author. Not of 5 star quality yet though where you can hardly wait to read another of this authors.
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Evidence of Murder (Theresa MacLean #2)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Mourn The Living
  • The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Savage Art
  • The Soul Collector
  • Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark #1)
  • Shooting Stars and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 3)
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • Blondes Have More Felons (December Vaughn, #1)
  • The Glades
  • Cold Snap (Lucy Kincaid, #7)
  • The Body in the Boudoir (Faith Fairchild Mysteries #20)
  • Silent Screams
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
I'm Beverly Connor and I love archaeology. I worked in Georgia and South Carolina as an archaeologist doing both fieldwork and analyzing artifacts. I also love mysteries. I combined these two loves and now write mysteries in which I weave my professional experience as an archaeologist into stories of murder and intrigue in both my Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series and Lindsay Chamberlain ...more
More about Beverly Connor...

Diane Fallon (9 books)
  • One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1)
  • Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Scattered Graves (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #6)
  • Dust to Dust (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #7)
  • One Grave Less (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #9)