Start by marking “Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)” as Want to Read:
Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)

Breach of Promise

(Nina Reilly #4)

Broken hearts. Broken promises. Deadly consequences.

In glitzy Lake Tahoe, couples break up every day. But few are as successful as Lindy and Mike Markov, who built a $200-million business together, before Mike took up with a younger woman. Now he's claiming he doesn't owe Lindy a dime since they never married.

Attorney Nina Reilly, struggling to make a living in her one-wom
Published June 8th 1999 by Island Books (first published June 8th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Breach of Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breach of Promise

Bodosika Bodosika
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-thrillers
'Now look here,
If you were really superior,
really superior,
you 'd have money,
and you know it'-D.H.Lawrence

This is a legal thriller...
The courtroom drama was interesting.
It is more or less a story of a husband and wife (not in the legal sense anyway) who built a successful business spanning more than twenty years together but now the man is jilting the woman who built the business with him for a younger woman who work for them without a penny.
Though friends and relatives refer to them as husband
Patricia
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By far the BEST Perri O'Shaughnessy book I have READ, Definitely kept you on the edge of your seat... This would of made a Great Movie!!! Just a little insight, you definitely don't want to stay in the waters of Lake Tahoe to long, Extremely to COLD, WOW!!!
Janet Robel
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been forever since I've read a legal thriller and this was very good. Nina Reilly is an awesome attorney who does it all on her own including being a mom. Loved the courtroom setting. I'm actually reading another one of these now.
J. Ewbank
This book by O'Shaughnessy was a good read. I could tell that it was not going to turn out like it appeared to because there were too many pages left in the book and wondered what was further going to happen. This is a series book and one that will make you want to read the other books in the series because it is worth the time to read. Enjoyed it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesleyi's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Holly
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying the Nina Reilly series. Yes, I am reading them in sequence, however each book can stand alone. I personally recommend reading them in sequence because it helps to know a bit of history of the people that come in and out of the storyline....
Each book is entirely different. Of course, its all about court-work but I can truly say, up to this point, Perri O'Shaughnessy is certainly not what I refer to as a "cookie-cutter" writer - each book follows a different pattern......
Th
Sharkie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
You know when you just need a comfort book?

Well, this is mine.

Perfect for sitting beside the lake, curled up in a hammock and running through a legal case in the eyes of Ms. Nina Reilly.

I picked this book up years ago at a library sale and never got around to it, but I really enjoyed it. It was fun to travel through this legal case and learn the little bits and bobs that are related to it, and I feel like I maybe learned something about the legal process along the way.

And then they throw the twi
Phillip III
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved Breach of Promise. The ending was so ironic. Love heals all, eh?

The new characters were fantastic. Loved the trial -- and the insight during jury deliberations.

The Nina Reilly series is such a fun series. Thrilling, yes. Intense, yes. But fun.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of the crime novel YOU CHOOSE
and the supernatural thriller WOMAN IN THE WOODS
Sue
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
Too drawn out on the lawyer/research side. I have enjoyed the O'Shaughnessy books but this was a much earlier one and I struggled to finish it.
Judy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Rather predictable. I really wanted to like this book more.
Stormcloud
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The reason for the lower rating is mostly plot preference. I like it when the heroes win BIG. If not for that ending, I would probably rate it four stars.

((minor spoilers?))

It started slow and boring, and then it was enthralling . . . and then it dragged a little, but the suspense WAS KILLING ME, and then because this was written in the nineties, there was an ending that stripped the heroine of all the important gains, because we MUUUUUUST be humble and not win. I mean, we're the heroes. We must
Barbara Mitchell
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had promised myself I would read this series in order. Unfortunately though, the library didn't have Obstruction of Justice (#3) and I just can't wait to read another Nina Reilly book so I went ahead with Breach of Promise (#4). This is like comfort food for me, I settle down comfortably and lose myself in the story with both familiar and new characters that seem like real people.

Reilly is a struggling lawyer raising a son, Bob, alone in Lake Tahoe. She settled there because her brother and hi
Judy Alexander
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So suspenseful! Love her stories.
Christina
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the third in a series about an attorney in Lake Tahoe that I have read. I think I am suffering from character fatigue. Or, maybe just stupid woman protagonist fatigue? I liked the premise of the case she took on this time - murder was not the main focus, this time it was a palimony suit so a civil case vs criminal. I still love the characters around Nina, but, I am not quite sure about Nina anymore. I was also not thrilled with her client Lydia. There was just too much stupid female as v ...more
Yvonne Finn
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book did not disappoint! It is as exciting as promised.
As a relationship expert it was the romantic love aspect of the
story that peaked my interest.
I do love reading about the law and how is is applied and sometimes misapplied.

But oh this story showed how love can be battered and bruised and left for dead and yet be revived to go on when the couple is willing to set their egos aside and recapture the very things that first drew them together.
Breach of Promise is ultimately a love story in
Bren
Legal drama. 3 stars.

This as light reading is fun. I w as drawn to the story as I like reading about Jurys and what goes into picking them. BUT:

SPOILERS:

I have to discuss the end. The truth is I read all kinds of genres, I like legal thrillers, liked this and would have given it 4 stars if not for the end. I did not understand it, the book spends the whole story telling of this wronged woman who built her husband's business into an empire, so at the end..she is strong and empowered..then the hub
Sharon
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Mike and Lindy Markov, one of the Lake Tahoe area's wealthiest couples, have a big public breakup, mid-level attorney Nina Reilly winds up with the divorce case -- which has one problem. The Markovs were never legally married. As the court case unfolds, even more complications arise ... and soon it becomes apparent that someone is willing to kill in order to get the verdict they want.

Throw in more complications on Nina's home front and you've got the plot of "Breach of Promise."

Overall, it
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
#4 in the Nina Reilly series.

Lake Tahoe lawyer Nina Reilly series - Wealthy, aggressive Mike Markov tells his wife, Lindy, that he's leaving her to marry a young employee of the business Mike and Lindy have built together. Lindy, a maverick not averse to keeping secrets from her own attorney, hires O'Reilly to bring suit against Mike for half the business - reckoned in millions. Mike hires a shark, Jeffrey Riesner, who makes O'Reilly feel so outclassed that she hires smooth co-counsel Winston Re
Jeanne
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
This is the fourth book in the Nina Reilly series by this sister writing team. The relevant case is actually a palimony case. Mike and Lindy Markov are an extremely wealthy Tahoe couple who, as it turns out, aren't actually married. Mike succumbs to what appears to be a mid-life crisis by kicking Lindy out with nothing and moving in a much younger, more beautiful employee, Rachel. Left with nothing, Lindy hires Nina to pursue her interests. Once again, there are twists and turns. There is a bit ...more
Patsy
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
In glitzy Lake Tahoe, couples break up every day. But few are as successful as Lindy and Mike Markov, who built a $200-million business together�before Mike took up with a younger woman. Now he's claiming he doesn't owe Lindy a dime since they never married.

Attorney Nina Reilly, struggling to make a living in her one-woman office and raise a young son alone, agrees to take Lindy's case. Nina knows winning is a long shot, even with a brilliant jury consultant and a palimony expert on her side.
Robert Scott
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nina is hired to get a woman's share of the company that she has helped found & develop with the man who introduces her as his wife although they never married. In fact a large part of the time her divorce had not been finalized. They win the jury trial after one of the original jurors has an allergic reaction to his lunch & has to be replaced by an alternate. However Nina finds that one of her cohorts has doctored that lunch & the trial is reversed. And before the reversal, the youn ...more
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great book done. This time, billionaires Mike and Lindsy Marcov are not having a good time together. After Mike dumps Lindsy for a younger women, Lindsy just doesn't know what to do. Turning to Nina for help, Nina thinks this is the big case. IF Lindsy wins, Nina could get a lot of money. But there is one slight, well very big problem. Mike and Lindsy never got married. And all the papers, deeds, etc. are in Mike's name. How can Nina win with practically nothing in Lindsy's favor? A very ...more
Jenn
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nina Reilly is an attorney in Lake Tahoe (Nevada Side) who has her own small practice and a knack for taking seemingly impossible cases. She works tirelessly to help her clients with the help of her Native American secretary, his son, and on-again off-again boyfriend/PI. The action moves along well and the court scenes are good as well as the adversarial relationship she has with other lawyers in the area.
Emily Erdmann
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it
From the beginning Breach of Promise by Perri O'Shaughnessy kept me intrigued and entertained. I thought it was interesting that part of the book was about the jury deliberating. However, when it got to the end I feel like the story got away from itself and got a little extreme compared to the rest of the book. I liked it, but I doubt I would read it again.
Pamela Beason
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I enjoy the legal mysteries written by these authors. As a private investigator, I sympathize with attorney Nina Reilly when she deals with crazy clients, but I sometimes find PI Paul van Wagoner's entitled attitude annoying. This book is a fascinating study of the legal issues that can erupt between partners who are not married; every woman should read it.
Tracy Snell
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was somewhat different than the previous Perri O'Shaughnessy books. I'm not sure how I felt about all of the uncertainty at the end of the book, but then again, that made it much more realistic. Nina has to think about the decisions she made in her career and personal life and deal with the consequences of those decisions, for good or for ill.
Barner
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it
When I work at a mission near here, I pick up books, read them and then return them. This one is okay: the plot is a little contrived, but the novel makes for good reading when one is feeling mindless. I guess this is a part of a series featuring the attorney Nina Reilly. I proabably will not read others, BUT this one did keep me going--even with exaggerated twists and turns to the plot.
Cathie
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really love these books. This story was was very interesting because the reader is taken through the court litigation process as well as the jury deliberations and I found it very fascinating. It had a great ending and Nina is just as strong as ever and came out just fine after all. Can't wait to read more of their books.
Robin
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ONCE AGAIN, I was not aware that this was part of a series - I guess I don't pay attention to that, but I swear most of the onse that I say that about don't even mention that on the covers - WHICH THEY SHOULD - so I don't read them out of order!.
Anyway, this was a very good book. You really learn to love the main character. The story was well written and very enjoyable.
Marianne
Sep 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Quite a story. Lawyer Nina O'Reilly faces her toughest test yet in a civil lawsuit involving millions of dollars. Greed, betrayal, murder, lost love, and lots of debt are all twisted up in one big mess.

A few important IMO, little details left hanging, which detracted from an otherwise good read.
Carol
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. Kept my interest from the very beginning. I enjoyed the look into the judicial system. Especially enjoyed the manner in which the jury deliberations were portrayed. Looking forward to the next in the series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • Hate Crime (Ben Kincaid, #13)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Trial By Fire
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • The Valentine's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #8)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • A Jury of Her Peers
  • Shadow Bones (Great Lakes Legends, #2)
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist

Nina Reilly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)