Start by marking “The Silent Army (Revivors, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Army (Revivors, #2)

The Silent Army (Revivors #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Read James Knapp's blogs and other content on the Penguin Community.

The pulse-pounding sequel to State of Decay

Federal agent Nico Wachalowski must stop Samuel Fawkes from awakening his own private army of zombies even if it means killing the woman he loves-now resurrected as a "Revivor"-permanently.
Published October 5th 2010 by Roc (first published September 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Army

Jessica Strider
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pros: complex plot, characters face difficult ethical decisions

Cons:

I've seen the question of what to do when faced with two equally unpleasant choices dealt with in several books lately (Mockingjay & Monsters of Men come immediately to mind). There are only two choices, pick the lesser of two evils or try to find a third, more acceptable option.

Agent Nico Wachalowski is asked to join forces with the revivors (reanimated dead) against those who can manipulate minds and memories - and kill th
Goel
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
A different take on the zombie theme. It was interesting enough that I finished the book, but it wasn't great. There are too many other better books to spend time on this one though, unless your really like zombies (that are more like robots).
Steve M.g
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dialing up to what I hope is a big crescendo in the third book. Gritty, dark, cyber, zombies, thriller.
Also one of the hardest to find book series in a store. Which is too bad.
Megan E. McCarthy
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun and engrossing sequel to State of Decay --except for every single chapter told from Zoe Ott's POV. Do authors actually enjoy writing from the POV of willfully stupid and self-destructive characters? Does anyone enjoy reading them? They make me crazy. I don't mind when characters make choices that seem like a good idea and then only later turn out to be dumb, but I can't stand it when it's obvious the whole time that they're just digging themselves deeper. Maybe this is why I also hate horr ...more
Gregory Litchfield
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Silent Army by James Knapp is the second novel in the revivors series and a well thought-out sequel, which builds from the events of Sate of Decay without being totally reliant on them plot wise.

This time out Nico Wachalowski is attempting to find the location of an army of revivors that Samuel Fawkes has gathered to strike New York City. Among this group of the revived dead is Faye Dasalia, former friend and lover of Nico, who must choose between her new purpose and lingering feelings for N
Nicole Bates
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff
The Silent Army is the fast paced and fascinating second novel in James Knapp's Revivor series. The story is told from the point of view of the same four main characters introduced in State of Decay . In book two, their lives become even more intricately intertwined as the plot, as well as the race to save humanity, speeds forward.

After closing this book I sat for a while, thinking about the questions the story raised in my mind. What do we value most about our humanity? Our ability to speak as
Webbweaver Reviews
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Silent Army is the second book in the 'Revivor' series. In the future, Revivors take the forefront in battle. Revivors are average citizens who, once they pass away, become a part of the Zombie army sent to fight for the citizens’ freedom. In order to live a better life, free of poverty, citizens must chose to have their corpses re-animated upon their death and enlisted in the military. There, they will commit horrible atrocities.

First things first…this is not your momma’s zombie book. The S
Angela
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, ebooks, zombies
The Silent Army, book 2 of James Knapp's "Revivors" series, picks up pretty much where the first one leaves off. In this installment we continue with the same viewpoint characters as State of Decay: Nico, Faye, Calliope, and Zoe, and everyone's personal plotlines are advanced significantly. Be warned that Faye's status in particular changes hugely, and provides a whole new level of focus to Nico's mission to expose the conspiracy surrounding the use of revivors as secret weapons.

I found this boo
Whitney
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book two really did a good job of rounding out the society for me. (although the war is still really ambiguous) I'm sure part of the reason it took me until book two was just because of how much information was there was to absorb. The tension just kept ratcheting up with each chapter, and I had a hard time putting the book down (homework and classes aside).

This is an interesting book because you get a good look into both sides of the ethical argument that is the main driving plot of the story.
Cristy
For me, THE SILENT ARMY (Revivors #2) was just as good, if not even slightly better than book one, STATE OF DECAY. In a strong continuation of this urban fantasy full of cyber-punkish zombie (reanimated corpse) soldiers, end of the world conspiracy plots and limitless ethical dilemmas and our beloved hero Nico finds himself once again smack dab in the middle of it all two years after the conclusion of the first installment. Although Zoe and Cal still contribute quite a bit to the story line, boo ...more
Tobyann Aparisi
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love a good zombie story
Recommended to Tobyann by: first reads
This is really a great book on it's own. I have not had the opportunity to read the first book to this series (State of Decay). I will now though! This book is very exciting and keeps you going to the very end. What a concept of using reanimated corpses as an army. I love Zombie and post apocolyptic stories. It is interesting to me to see what differences people come up with for these type of stories. Never have I read a truly new concept and interesting way of using "zombies". Like I said I wil ...more
Helge Moulding
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yet another zombie story? Why the heck would you want to read something like that? Haven't you read just about every version of the zombie apocalypse?

FBI agent Nico Wachalowski knows he's surrounded by deceit, and as events progress (this is the second book in a series), he finds he must not only stop the mutants trying to take over the world, but also the zombies who are trying to stop the mutants.

Yes, it's a great bind for a hero to be in, isn't it? Add in terrorism complete with biological an
Jamie
Dec 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, first-reads, owned
The premise of this series sounded really interesting when I first heard about the first book. Unfortunately I have not read the first one yet, but in reading the second, I really want to find a copy of it now. The second stood very well on its own. The author does a very good job of connecting everyone's relationships and interwoven stories from the first. I did not feel like I was missing key points of the story when reading, but since I know there is a full story there, I want to go back and ...more
Elizabeth Whitehead
Mar 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't read much Science Fiction - and I started this one before I read State of Decay. After about 80 pages I stopped and got State of Decay and read it first. I am now hooked. I was enthralled and couldn't put either one down. I think I read both in about 2 and 1/2 days. The story line is great and there aren't too many characters to keep up with. It wasn't so scary that I felt like I wouldn't be able to sleep like so many SciFi and Horror books. I can't wait till the next one comes out. I ha ...more
Steven Allen
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-go, not-kept
This was an excellent second book in the series. I like the twist on the zombie tale, with some hard core SciFi thrown in. Zombies are reanimated by technology, not a virus or radiation. Used on the battlefield and in industry, the reanimated dead form the basis of the shock troops of the future. There are no clearly defined good vs. bad, there are several shades of gray. There is some graphic violence, plenty of gore, and some foul language, so if you wish to avoid those - don't read this book.
Stacey
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought the premise of this book was good. It was a different twist on zombies and the life after. I haven't read the first in this series, but the second does stand on its own, which was great! I would recommend the book to anyone interested in a good book with strong characters, action, and a fast pace.

My only dislike of this book was the fact that each character is written in first person in their 'sections'. Personally, I find it very difficult to switch gears and relate to each character
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Nov 21, 2010 marked it as decided-not-to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked this book's prequel, State of Decay, enough to want to read the sequels. Except this one cranks the gruesome imagery up to 11. I think I'll pass. Yes, I'm a wimp.
Matthew Rich
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
I looked forward to this one. James Knapp writes a good, gritty thriller -- but this one didn't really take the series anywhere.
Alex
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Excellent book. It could've been ended better. It seemed to much like a TV episode where nothing really changes.
Aletia
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
it continues the story, and delves deeper into why it's all happening. I cannot wait to see what happens in book 3!
Mkeener
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty good take on speculative zombie fiction.
Louisa
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing book, I enjoyed it so much, and I'm so glad that I won a copy from Goodreads!
Wes
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good orginal story line. I love Scifi books when the story doesnt depend on the technology...ie Capt kirks transpo beam always saving in the nick of time.
Kate Mann
Feb 07, 2014
Micah Harvey
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • Xombies
  • Bonesetter (Bonesetter, #1)
  • Every Sigh, the End
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
  • Android: Golem (Identity, #1)
  • By the Blood of Heroes (The Great Undead War, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Six Days with the Dead (Lanherne Chronicles, #1)
  • Zombiesque
  • Beyond the Barriers
  • Hissers
  • Destroying Angel
  • New Haven Blues (The Troubleshooter)
  • Left with the Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1.5)
  • 21st Century Dead
  • Hungry for Your Love
  • KOP Killer (Juno Mozambe Mystery, #3)

Revivors (3 books)
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)
  • Element Zero (Revivors, #3)