Start by marking “One-Eyed Cat” as Want to Read:
One-Eyed Cat

One-Eyed Cat

A Single Shot
Ned fired the forbidden rifle just once, at a flickering shadow in the autumn moonlight. But someone -- a face, fleetingly seen staring at him from an attic window -- was watching.
And when a one-eyed cat turns up at an elderly neighbor's woodshed, Ned is caught in a web of guilt, fear, and shame that he cannot escape -- until another moonlit night, come spring
Published December 1st 2000 by Aladdin (first published 1984)

Richard Houchin
Apr 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
This is the first book I can remember reading that I absolutely hated. I hate this book. It is seared, seared into my memory. If I could give it negative stars, I would.
Jeremy
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I currently temp at a hospital administrative building, so I don't know anyone and I'm not looking to forge any lasting relationships. This gives me plenty of reading time during lunches and breaks, and I limit my work reading choices to the paperbacks available in a plastic "take one/leave one" bin in my building's cafeteria, both because I know I'll forget or misplace any books I bring from home, and because I enjoy forcing myself to read material I might not normally gravitate toward in the f ...more
Bonnie
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bonnie by: Newbery
In my quest to read more Newbery Medal/Newbery Honor books I spied this book at the library and promptly devoured it. Just maybe the fact that it had "cat" in its title made me more apt to choose this one over another.

Neddy is the a son of a pastor and a homebound mother with rheumatoid arthritis before there were any medications for it.

The angelic father, the pious and unlikeable housekeeper/cook "He opened his mouth and she said at once, before he could speak, 'Calm down, calm dow
Kendall
Jun 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
I thought if I kept reading it would get better... I wish I hadn't kept reading
Luann
This is well-written, but has such a sad, quiet guilt infused into the story that I didn't find it pleasant to read. Although I did really like Ned's neighbor, old Mr. Scully, and Ned's friendship with him. The ending is very sweet which made me like the whole book a lot more.

I never realized people could be so debilitated from rheumatoid arthritis. I felt sorry for Ned's mom. She seemed like quite the character when she was having one of her better days. I'd also never heard of gold
Nathan Johnson
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was one of the books that made me wary of trusting anything with a Newberry award.
I hate this book, it is easily one of the 5 worst books I have ever read.
The main character spends the entire book feeling massive guilt for something he isn't even sure he did.
I felt little sympathy for his guilt in disobeying his father and taking the BB gun. I felt that his father was portrayed as rather overbearing and paranoid. Which prevented him from teaching Ned how to responsibly use
Martina
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would not recommend this book to anyone. It was a fairly short book, but it took me a long time to read because it was so boring. The main character got a gun and shot it one time, and realizes later that he hit a stray cat in the eye. He then becomes obsessed with the cat. Not very exciting.
Tory C.
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Crime and Punishment for the second time. It fit my needs and filled my soul so well that I commented to my daughter that I would never have to read another book. How could I read another book after the experience I had with that classic? All that could be left in the world would be mediocre in comparison. Then I discovered One-Eyed Cat.

It’s ironic that One-Eyed Cat, by Paula Fox, published in 1984 is a book that I “discovered.” It was written by an author who won many major awards and accolades
Twofrontteethstillcrooked
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started a reread of this in honor of Fox's recent passing; it remains one of the best books I've read as an adult that I wouldn't have touched with a 900 foot pole as a kid. This speaks more to my essential awfulness as a child than to Fox's writing, ftr. This short middle-school novel is thoughtful and compassionate -- heartfelt without ever, for any length of time, feeling cloyingly sentimental in the least. It is seems to me to capture, seemingly without effort, that essential feeling of be ...more
Mellanie C
Nov 04, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Judaye
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
This is a thoughtful coming of age story. I will read it again one day.
Peacegal
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: humane-education
One-Eyed Cat is a fine humane education selection, particularly for public and school libraries in rural areas where a child's first BB gun is a rite of passage.

Despite being forbidden to do so by his father, young Ned sneaks out one night for some target practice with his new Daisy rifle. Without thinking, he fires at a creeping, shadowy figure. When he later spots a wounded cat who is missing one eye, the boy is haunted by guilt.

Fox explores big themes like taking responsibility for one's actio
Sandra Stiles
For his 11th birthday Ned's uncle gives him a Daisy air-rifle. Ned's father, a preacher, doesn't approve of the gun and puts it away in the attic until Ned turns 14. Ned has always been respectful to his preacher father and his arthritic mother. He has never really been disobedient, until now. He sneaks up into the attic and brings the rifle down. He just wants to fire it once and then he will gladly put it away. He sees a shadow near the barn and shoots. As he turns to go in the house he sees a ...more
Joy
1985 Newbery Honor Book

I really don't know what to make of this book. It wasn't horrible but it did not engage me and I felt it prodded along. The message at the end and the ending in general fit the story. The overall mood of the book is kind of depressing.

Ned is the only son of the local pastor. His mother is sick and mostly bedridden and their housekeeper is pretty mean. Ned gets a gun for his birthday from his uncle but it is taken away from him by his father. Ned ste
Julia
The setting for this slim novel is a large, gray, falling down house overlooking the Hudson River, perhaps around Hudson or Poughkeepsie, though those cities are never mentioned. It's set in 1935 and the main character's father drives a Packard.

Ned’s Uncle Hilary gives him a Daisy rifle for his eleventh birthday. His father, a Congregational Church minister and his mother is an invalid who suffers greatly from rheumatoid arthritis. The rifle is put in the attic, but Ned gets it out a
Tracie
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school
I liked this book though the tone was melancholy throughout. I think it would be difficult to get kids to read this today; there isn't much action - except in the young boy's head. Essentially, a young boy whose mother is practically bedridden with rheumatoid arthritis is given a gun for his birthday. His father, a local minister, feels he is too young for the weapon and puts it in the attic until he is older. The boy cannot resist, sneaks the gun out late one night and probably shoots a cat in ...more
Thomas Bell
I thought that Paula Fox tried too hard to make this a heartwarming tale. It didn't work. Let's face it. The book won an honor because the awards committee thought that this would help young people to learn to not lie or at least to tell their parents or someone right away. This book is a big guilt trip, and the author tries to spruce it up by throwing in an old man, a kid-bully, an adult-bully (the caretaker), and a mom who can hardly move. Oh, and make the dad a preacher for good measure. Seem ...more
I didn't really see the point to this book and felt like it was a flop. I didn't feel for any of the characters and wanted more development in the plot and personalities. I wasn't depressed by the content even though it was not a cheerful story. After I finished reading this book I sat there for a few moments wondering if maybe I had missed something. I was not impressed with this Newbery.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Lance Greenlee
While I'm a fan of Newbery Medal Books and Newbery Honor Books, this one's a bit of a dud. If it weren't a class book, I would have given it up. The character's motivation to lie to his parents was unconvincing. His sudden fear of all animals, even in National Geographic magazine, was unconvincing and odd. The book lacked any thrust or momentum: the main character is not driven to escape any threat, nor achieve any goal, uncover any mystery, or even grow internally. It was boring.
Ann Marie
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
So after reading Dear Mr. Henshaw, I was very excited to select another book from the bookset of Newberry Medal winners...

I picked wrong... this book was boring.

Next time I am home, I am going to read Island of the Blue Dolphins. I may not remember that book, but I remember loving it.
Dale
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
(JF-Newberry Honor Book); previously this year, I read this author’s dreadful Newberry Winner. This one is not nearly as dreadful but did not hold my interest and after 90 pgs. I was like “what is the point in finishing this book?”, so I didn’t; 1984 hardback via Madison County Public Library, Berea, attempted Mar. 12-13 , 2017
Catherine
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, newberry
This book starts out well with interesting relationships between the characters, but Fox did not stick the landing. The ending is quite strange and didn't really seem to fit.

The story his mom tells him at the end seems to come out of left field.

It does contain some words for thought though. "She was locked insider her own opinions like a prisoner" (Fox 200).
Sarah Smith
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read this book as a child and recently found a review I'd written many moons ago. Thought I'd share:

"Dear Paula, I thought this book would be very interesting because I like cats but I don't like the one eyed cat I think it is really boring. I think it is so boring I couldn't concentrate very well on it. It was so boring I gave it a one star."

Mckinley
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, newbery, grief, cat
I didn't believe this one. The characters aren't developed enough for the story to make sense. It's a book about too much without much being examined or resolved: remorse and grief, loneliness, chronic illness, bullying, etc. I don't feel it came together.
LobsterQuadrille
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
I don't understand how this book earned a Newbery Medal. I found the characters to be rather dull and hard to relate to, and the overall tone seemed gloomy and drab. I know a lot of people like it, but it didn't appeal to me very much, and just didn't hold my interest.
Cheyla S.
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I do not recommend this book to anyone. I thought if I kept reading the book would have a sudden exiting twist. All this book is about is a dying old man and an injured cat. The only reason I kept reading was because it was a class book.
Haley
Mar 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
it was a good book and only 216pg.but it was sad and a very close freind of ned was an old man and dies and his mom has arthritis i would not recomend this to anyone especily people who cry esaly.it was a bad book do no read it,it will make you sad and depresed(5th grader).
Lilhanni
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book had REAlly good writting but the story was kind a boring the plot was not clear and it made the book hard to enjoy.
Aleidis Garcia
BORING
Jenn
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Painful for me to get through.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Black Fox of Lorne
  • Journey Outside
  • Shadrach
  • Volcano: The Eruption and Healing of Mount Saint Helens
  • The Old Tobacco Shop: A True Account of What Befell a Little Boy in Search of Adventure
  • The Horsecatcher
  • All Alone
  • When Shlemiel Went to Warsaw and Other Stories
Paula Fox was an American author of novels for adults and children and two memoirs. Her novel The Slave Dancer (1973) received the Newbery Medal in 1974; and in 1978, she was awarded the Hans Christian Andersen Medal. More recently, A Portrait of Ivan won the Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis in 2008.

A teenage marriage produced a daughter, Linda, in 1944. However, given the tumultuous relationship
“When he sat on the Makepeace veranda, it was as if he'd gone to another country” 0 likes
“There was nothing to imagine with a gun except something that was dead.” 0 likes