Start by marking “Fast Talk on a Slow Track” as Want to Read:
Fast Talk on a Slow Track

Fast Talk on a Slow Track

3.09  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Fast talk and quick thinking have always guaranteed Denzel Watson a place on top-until he spends a summer at Princeton University. There Denzel learns that it takes more than his fast talk to compete with other smart, talented students. Discouraged, he wonders how to tell his proud parents that he's decided not to go to Princeton as a freshman in the fall.For the rest of t ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Turtleback Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Fast Talk on a Slow Track, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fast Talk on a Slow Track

Agne
2.5 out of 5
The main character is incredibly self-absorbed and arrogant (i.e., quite unlikable), and the sudden change of heart towards the end didn't seem very convincing to me. Also, although I liked the beginning and the ending of the story, there wasn't much of a plot in the middle and thus I felt rather disengaged.

However, I must admit that Denzel's thoughts and emotions feel very realistic (except for his sudden change of heart, that is), and the book in general seems authentic, emotionall
Briynne
Sep 04, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible, miserable experience of a book. I loathed the main character, couldn't find a plot to save my life, and pretty much hated every second of this book. Read for my YA Lit class, because otherwise it would have been chucked at page 2, assuming it even got that far.
Josie Snow
I was both confused by and sympathized with Denzel. I was confused because I didn’t understand his choices in the story, but I was sympathetic because I understood the driving force behind them. I too have been the big fish in a small sea and then been shocked by finding there is more to learn.
 Imani ♥ ☮
This wasn't really disappointing because I wasn't expecting much, but still, I had to put a tag of some kind to show my disapproval. I just couldn't figure out why I should care about some whiny boy. I tried to relate but I just couldn't. Sure the main character in the story and I both care about our grades but he was just too arrogant to me and I couldn't read the book anymore. Plus it was due at the library. Basically I advise that you don't waste your time with this book, and if you decide th ...more
Muna D
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Fast Talk on a Slow Track" mostly tell us about the students who are trying to get on to their career, and the smartest kid who used to read in his own way to get the answer. He won't be wrong but the teacher proves him wrong.
I like the main character in this book because he is kind of related to me and caring of their grades is one of the most important things in life. He used to care too much for his grades.
Libby
Wanted to slap the main character for most of the book, but it showed a good picture of how some kids feel when they get to college, also good because he finally seems to realize that he's not as smart as he thinks.
Brian
Jul 28, 2007
Meaghan
Oct 04, 2007
Mar 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
worst main character ever. Could not relate to him or this book at all.
Hoang Nguyen
Aida
Jan 08, 2017
Paige
May 08, 2017
"I was born in Queens, N.Y, on April 13, 1957. My mother, Miss Essie, named me 'NoMo' immediately after my birth. Although I was her last child, I took my time making my appearance. I like to believe I was dreaming up a good story and wouldn’t budge until I was finished. Even now, my daughters call me 'Pokey Mom', because I slow poke around when they want to go-go-go.

"I learned to read early, and
More about Rita Williams-Garcia...