Start by marking “The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)

The Scottish Prisoner

(Lord John Grey #3)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  26,269 ratings  ·  1,836 reviews
In this highly-anticipated new novel, Diana Gabaldon brings back one of her most compelling characters: the unforgettable Lord John Grey - soldier, gentleman, and no mean hand with a blade. Set in the heart of the eighteenth century, Lord John's world is one of mystery and menace. Diana Gabaldon brilliantly weaves together the strands of Lord John's secret and public ...more
Published October 25th 2012 by Orion Publishing Group (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Scottish Prisoner, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Zoey Yes, Jamie is in quite a bit of this book. If you are a fan, I would recommend reading as it gives you a good look at some of the time in Jamies life…moreYes, Jamie is in quite a bit of this book. If you are a fan, I would recommend reading as it gives you a good look at some of the time in Jamies life when Claire was back in the 20th century(less)

·  26,269 ratings  ·  1,836 reviews

Start your review of The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)
Karla

4.5 Stars! Thank you sweet Jesus...I got my Fraser Fix!!

Okay, first things first! I read out of order, because I had it on good word that this could be read as a stand-alone, especially since I've read all the books in the Outlander series...twice, some books more. So, I had all the history I needed, and I've been waiting and waiting and waiting...like everyone else...for, Written in My Own Heart's Blood, and I needed some Jamie and this book delivered! I wanted to see how animosity turned to
Lori McD
3rd read: Feb 2013

OK, so I'm just a sucker for Jamie Fraser... and any book that he's in.

2nd read: Feb 2012

Just gets better! Not much to add this time through, except that I appreciated the nuances of this book so much more. I was, however, dismayed to realize that the name Tobias Quinn never darkened our door before in any previous Outlander or Lord John book. That was a mystery to me, but...

Also, I'd missed the resolution with Betty, the ladies' maid at Helwater in the 1st read. I was too
Jill
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it

Lord John Grey

Jamie Fraser

Jamie Fraser, has been at Helwater, in England's Lake District for three years. Sent originally to Ardsmuir Prison as a Jacobite traitor after Culloden, he has continued to serve out his time as a paroled prisoner working as a groom at the estate of Lord Dunsany. When Harold, Duke of Pardloe - Lord John Grey's brother - needs help in the translation of verse written in Erse (Scots Gaelic) he sends for Jamie.

Helwater

Set in 1760, this is the third book in the Lord John
Mary Rose
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Can't wait for this book, for any of you out there that have read and fallen in love with the outlander series, this is supposedly about Lord John and Jamie's life before Claire returns. This time is only skimmed over as far as Jamie goes during the Outlander books, so it should be an interesting look as to what Jamie's up to after Claire returns to the modern era. And lets face it anything to do with our fav. scottish hottie is worth the look.
Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I am biased. It had Jamie Fraser in it.
Lucia
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
*Beware, this story and review contains some minor spoiler for those who haven't read first three Outlander novels. If you haven't had a pleasure of reading Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager, I strongly suggest to stay away from this review. You have been warned.*

The Scottish Prisoner is set in 1760 and talks about events that took place more or less in the middle of Voyager. Written in dual POV of Lord John Grey and Jamie Fraser, The Scottish Prisoner is a must-read for those who cannot
Renee
Apr 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jamie Fraser fans
Shelves: read-in-2012
While it was a good story, I was disappointed that Lord John had to share the narrative with Jamie Fraser. I've waited for years for a new Lord John book, and really wanted his story. And, while the book cover image and the Goodreads listing has the book as "Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner," I noticed that the library copy of the audiobook is titled, "The Scottish Prisoner" instead. This is much a more accurate title.

I found that the story itself took Lord John and Jamie's
JustJayneIA
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I am not a fan of Lord John or his series, but the promise of Jamie Fraser featuring prominently in this book convinced me to buy it.

I wish I hadn't.

Ultimately, I didn't feel that we learned as much about Jamie's time at Helwater as expected. Although Jamie is featured, this is still very much a Lord John book. For fans of the Outlander series, do not read this expecting it to be like Outlander. Although I knew better than to expect that, I came to realize that Jamie without Claire = dull and
Lupdilup
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is for the audiobook.
I can't resist! it's about Jamie :)
All I can say is that if you love Jaime you're going to enjoy this book very much. It is so nice to visit Diana's world and characters, I truly feel bad for Lord John, he loves Jaime more than I do, if that is possible.
Now for the narration, I have to warn all Outlanders's fans, the reader's voice and tone for Jaime is completely different from Davina Porter's, it takes a while to get used to him, but Diana's brilliant writing
Diane
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I already KNOW my rating will be 5 stars...just sat down to lunch, turned Kindle on..opened Scottish Prisoner..at 1% and I'm grinning like a young schoolgirl who is experiencing her first crush!! Jamie is BACK!! :)
Megan Baxter
May 22, 2012 rated it liked it
When I started this book, I quickly became annoyed at the Scottishisms in the writing - not in the dialogue, but the way they cropped up in the descriptive text. They felt rare and out of place and smacked of shouting "look at me! I've done my research!"

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Jennifer Lane
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Jamie Fraser!

When the masterful author Diana Gabaldon takes time out from her Outlander series to write other novels, sometimes I get frustrated. I want to know what happens next to Jamie and Claire! *stomps foot* But I am SO glad she wrote this novel. The Scottish Prisoner is part of her spinoff series about Lord John Grey, but the story focuses on Jamie during a heartbreaking stage of his life -- a story that simply needed to be told. It's poignant, funny, dramatic, and sweet.

The story
Karen Charbonneau
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Having read all of Diana Gabaldon's novels, including the Lord John series, in one fell swoop during the past year, I made certain to be the first at my public library to check out The Scottish Prisoner. It was an enjoyable immersion, to be once again alongside two of the three best-developed characters from her Outlander series, Jamie Fraser and Lord John Grey. Gabaldon's historic settings draw me in. Her characters reside in those settings realistically and she maneuvers the reader through the ...more
Jane
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Where I got the book: purchased at a conference. Signed.

The Scottish Prisoner could at a stretch be read as a standalone novel, but readers could potentially be confused by the references to events that happen within the Outlander series. This is, in fact, a full-length Outlander side-shoot, set at the point where Jamie is working out his sentence for his part in the Jacobite rebellion on an estate in England’s Lake District, believing Claire to be lost to him forever but still, naturally,
Lisa Wolf
Jamie Fraser. If those two words send thrills up and down your spine, then you will undoubtedly want to read The Scottish Prisoner. If, however, that name means nothing to you... well, it's not that I wouldn't recommend The Scottish Prisoner anyway; I just don't think you'd enjoy it as much as we rabid fans do.

The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon fits into the Outlander timeline in the period covered in Voyager, book 3 in the series. Unlike the other Lord John Grey books, TSP features our
Rachel
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am unequal to the task of summarizing over 9,000 pages of conflict into a concise paragraph to set up where The Scottish Prisoner fits in the whole of Gabaldon's massive canon of delicious tomes.

Let's just say: 1) read the Outlander series; and 2) the events in this latest Gabaldon take place during a gap in Voyager, and is in itself a continuation of Lord John Grey's story. This book has the exquisite double-whammy of featuring both Lord John and our favorite Highland warrior, the strapping
Ashley
This book is pretty much a crossover between the Lord John Grey books and the main Outlander novels. You can read it on its own, or as part of the LJG series without reading the Outlander novels, but it works best as a companion to that series.

I knew going in that Jamie Fraser was going to be a big presence and that the story in it would fill in the missing pieces of how LJG and Jamie went from loathing each other to becoming friends, but I didn't realize that Jamie would be an actual POV
Donna
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Let me begin by saying that I am not a big fan of the Outlander series(Gasp! Don't hate me for it) I don't like time travel books all that much and I find the series confusing when skipping back and forth in time. I am a big fan of the Lord John series, though. I think that Lord John is an interesting character, very dark at times, with moments of lightness and tenderness. I never know what to expect from him from one minute to the next. I like how his public life is at odds with his private ...more
Joanne
Although I quite like the book as a book, Rick Holmes is dreadfully miscast in this audio version. If the purpose of having two narrators was to give each character a separate focus and "voice", then it's beyond me why they would cast two actors with a very similar tone, style, and timbre. This works somewhat for Lord John - higher pitched and slightly nasal - but not for James Fraser whose voice in the books is described as deep, low, and husky.

But the worst thing is that his Scottish accent
Nicole
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Lord John Grey and Jamie Fraser. And I loved the team they make together. I absolutely loved this book. Especially the last several chapters. My goodness, the way DG wraps up a book is just magical. I am so glad I finally read this one. Thank you to my friends that told me to read it. I can't wait to read it again.

1st read: Aug11-15, 2015
2nd read: Oct 1-7, 2016
Matt
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Gabaldon presents her penultimate Lord John story in such as way as to lure in long-time fans while filling in many cracks left in her previous stories. The tale, a dual narrative, depicts the lives of both Lord John Grey and Jamie Fraser, at first in their respective residences, but soon together on a mission. Lord John comes into possession of a number of documents that support corruption by a British soldier he first encountered while in Quebec. Buried in the package is a document in 'Erse, ...more
Judith Starkston
The Scottish Prisoner is Gabaldon’s latest book in her extended family of books set in 18th century England/Scotland/Ireland. If you are one of the handful of people who haven’t read her bestselling books, I’ll give a brief overview so you’ll know where this most recent falls in place. Gabaldon says you can read any of her books as stand alones, but even she admits you’ll get what’s going on better if you read in order. Her main series encompasses the Outlander books in which one of the main ...more
Sophia
I read it a few years ago and now I am back to enjoy it in audio format. The Lord John series may not be as popular as the Outlander series, but for me, I find them just as engaging as I follow along on one of Lord John's missions that usually involve his brother Hal and some army buddies.

The Scottish Prisoner has the distinction of straddling both the Outlander and Lord John series because John and Jamie share the narration of the story. The timing of this story falls during Outlander book
Tonya
I loved this story and the way that you got a glimpse into Jamie's life during his years at Helwater. His struggle to accept his role in life when he still found himself thinking of himself as a 'laird' still in some situations was not surprising. Jamie through all the books has always been a leader among men even when that's just taking the lead in the stables. The heartbreaking memories of Claire and his fervent, frequent prayers for their safety were so poignant and well written. (view ...more
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Read all the current books of the Outlander series and still wanting more Jamie? Then read this book! Basically, this is some of what happens to Jamie while he's at Helwater and with Lord Grey.

I was pleasantly surprised at liking this book considering I had heard there is no romance. And for the most part that is true, but all the love and feelings that Jamie has for Claire are still there and still so raw! It was hard not to get emotional reading them.

All the other story lines are really
Summer
This is the third in the series starring Lord John Grey, a character in the Outlander series. There is something of an under current of whispered rebellion, that is centering in Ireland, and it smells of a Jacobite uprising. Jamie's past with the Jacobite cause and his ability to read Gaelic make him the perfect person to use for Hal's, John's brother, purposes.

I had a hard time rating this book. I loved the portions that included Jamie and you were able to learn more details about his life. I
Dichotomy Girl
This was one of my favorite Lord John books (you think it's because it had so much Jamie??). I wondered if reading this was going to be weird, as I finally got around to watching some of the Outlander TV show. I was worried that it would be tainted by the TV show, but I still kept my unique mental image of Jamie. (My Jamie is bigger and burlier, and a bit smarter than he is portrayed on the TV. My Claire is also a bit more fearless and pragmatic. But I don't expect everything to live up to the ...more
Edee Fallon
It's not often a book renders me nearly speechless. I love Outlander. I love JAMMF. I love John Grey. This book ... I don't even have the words. I'll have to attempt an actual review of this book later.

I would give it a hundred stars if I could.
Mary
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"But it marks you, killing. No matter why it's done. It's a brand upon your heart, and while it may heal, the mark canna be removed, save by a blade. All ye can hope for is a cleaner scar."

“Lord that she might be safe. She and my children.”

The Scottish Prisoner is technically considered the 3rd book in the Lord John series. However, it should also be noted as a mid-novel in the Outlander series. Both John and Jamie Fraser are the main characters in this story.

From Goodreads: "London, 1760. For
Oshun
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Play Book Tag: The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon - 4* 5 12 Oct 01, 2019 01:22PM
Books & Coffee Bo...: The Scottish Prisoner (LJG #3) 11 9 May 17, 2019 02:32PM
Lord John Adventures vs Jamie and Claire 27 258 Mar 31, 2015 03:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: Narrators names jumbled. 4 18 Feb 17, 2015 11:20AM
Outlander Series: Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner 235 373 May 13, 2013 12:25PM
Romance Audiobooks: The Scottish Prisoner 7 70 Apr 05, 2012 09:47PM

• Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
  • The Endless Forest (Wilderness, #6)
  • Dawn on a Distant Shore (Wilderness, #2)
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
  • Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1)
  • Lake in the Clouds (Wilderness, #3)
  • Finding Fraser
  • The Making of Outlander: The Official Guide to Seasons 1 & 2
  • Becoming (Dancing with the Lion #1)
  • Diana Gabaldon Complete Series Reading Order
  • The Reckoning  (Welsh Princes, #3)
  • Pawn in Frankincense (The Lymond Chronicles, #4)
  • Progression Vol. 1: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr Darcy's Legacy: A Pride and prejudice Variation
  • Le Secret du coffre bleu
  • Empire of Time (New Pompeii, #2)
  • Threads in Time
  • Time's Convert
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .

Lord John Grey (3 books)
  • Lord John and the Private Matter (Lord John Grey, #1)
  • Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade  (Lord John Grey, #2)
“Could I but lay my head in your lap, lass. Feel your hand on me, and sleep wi' the scent of you in my bed.

Christ, Sassenach. I need ye.”
103 likes