Start by marking “Big Al and Shrimpy” as Want to Read:

there was a very clever
fish named Shrimpy.

You could not find
a smarter fish.
But Shrimpy was also very, very small.

Poor Shrimpy! He wants to be like Big Al, loved and adored by all the other fish. But who would want to be friends with such a teeny, tiny fish? Big Al, that's who! He's big and scary-looking, and he remembers what it was like to be friendles

Published September 1st 2002 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 15th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Big Al and Shrimpy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Al and Shrimpy

Logan Schroeder
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Big Al and his tiny friend Shrimpy are curious to explore the vast "Big Deep." But unfortunately Big Al gets trapped by a rock that pulls him into the "Big Deep." His friend shrimpy must find a way to rescue him. The illustrations in this book are beautiful, which is why I initially wanted to read it. It has a good message that teachers kids that you don't have to be big to accomplish important tasks. A good age range for this book is 4-8.
Megan Mulder
Shrimpy is one of the smartest fish in the sea, but he's so small that the other fish do not want to be friends with him. His loneliness was strong until one day, Shrimpy and Big Al (the biggest fish in the sea), found they were the perfect partners for tag; they became the best of friends! Their friendship teaches them both important lessons regarding sharing and helping, especially when Big Al tumbles down into the Big Deep and needs rescuing. The only one willing and creative enough to come u ...more
Mary
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Another story about the Big Al, the big ugly fish. This time he becomes best friends with Shrimpy, a very smart and very small fish who doesn't have any friends. Although the story is predictable, young readers will appreciate the message that friends (and heroes) can come in all sizes.
Rachel
Shrimpy was a very very small fish and Big Al was very big. In the ocean all the fish liked to play tag but Big Al couldn't get any of the fish except shrimpy and Shrimpy could only get Big Al. They weren't allowed to play anymore because they always just tagged each other. Thus began their friendship. When they are playing something happens to Big Al and needs Shrimpy's help but also the other fish helps.
Amber Adams
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lit-2, writers-craft
This tells the story about two very different fish who become friends. The two friends go the the deep dark sea together and face dangers. The author hooks readers in by using Plays on Words (...he cried little salty tears into the big salty sea.) We can teach students to put a play on their words to keep people engaged.
Sue Pak
I thought this book was a pretty cute book. It is about friendship as well.
I would use this book when talking about different things animals do in order to survive. Fish travel in groups or stick to bigger fish in order to prevent from being eaten.
This book also briefly talks about force, and you can branch out from this text to talking about force.

Appropriate for Kindergarten to 4th grade.
Katie Jackson
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book discusses Shrimpy not having any friends but Big Al. One day Big Al falls into the dark part of the sea and Shrimpy shows no fear. Shrimpy gathers everyone and saves Big Al. I would use this book in the classroom to discuss the imporatance of friendship.
Mandy
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars)
Shrimpy is a little fish who enjoys having Big Al as his best friend. But one day while exploring, Big Al gets himself into BIG trouble. How will a little fish like Shrimpy save his big friend?
Becca Dunlap
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In the big open ocean two very differnt fish form a wonderful friendship. One is bigger and usually acts as the leader until one day he is in need of help. It is up to Shrimpy to step up and be the brave fish. It's a great book for teaching children that size doesn't mean everything.
Lauren Owens
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book takes place in the ocean and talks about force and motion, the habits of sea animals, survival of certain types of fish and how fish stick together to ward off enemies.
Recommended grade level: P-5
Amanda
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This book was a bit boring for me, but the children may enjoy reading it. The story shows good friendship, bullying, and excepting differences. This would be more for the younger students because of the quick and very easy read. The illustrations look good.
The Brothers
A cute and rather predictable story about a big fish befriending a little fish. The little fish ends up "saving" the big fish and then everyone likes him.

Illustrations are okay.
Darilyn DeMaria
I am going to hunt this one out! I love Big Al. I'm kinda thinkin' Shrimpy needs a home....
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
AMAZING illustrations. The story's okay.
Agnes
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Very predictable storyline, big fish and little fish as main characters, illustrations done in dark tones.
Dan
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This kind of book is not my typical choice for an audiobook, but it is a great one for small children. Mine love it.
Alice
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-75-stars
2.75 stars The pictures in this book are great. The story was a little dull and predictable. I like that is teaches team work and size and age don't matter. We have something to offer!
Angie
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good book about friendship :)
Jess
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Big Al
Shelves: picture-books, z_11
Not as good as Big Al but decent enough to read as a set.
Teri
May 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: oceans
not at all memorable
Julie
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
i enjoyed this sequel to Big Al.
Cheryl
cute little story of a little fish that helps a big fish
Deb
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Illustrations were fine, text a little too instructive. Echoes of "Swimmy".
Paula
Sep 18, 2008
Patrick
Sep 26, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...