Start by marking “The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags” as Want to Read:
The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags

The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags

The ultimate practical guide to sewing fabulous bags from expert Lisa Lam Detailed photographs illustrate every technique in this unique book, from choosing fabric to inserting fastenings.

Expert tips, trade secrets and inspirational advice result in professional and beautiful results.

A capsule wardrobe of eight exclusive designs features easy-to-fol
Published September 1st 2010 by David & Charles Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Bag Making Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bag Making Bible

Start your review of The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags
JayeL
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, craft, own
I have an idea to make the perfect work bag. I haven't yet found a pattern out there, but with the right knowledge of techniques and an ok pattern, I can probably make something that will work.

After reviewing Big City Bags by Sara Lawson, I put the book in my database (I am a librarian after all!). In the course of testing the records and the search results, I came across Lisa Lam's The Bag Making Bible and had to look through it for more ideas.

If you have this book and Big Ci
Kate
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got The Bag Making Bible for Christmas, and having a spare couple of days last week set myself the rather scary goal of making my first bag from the book. I'm a pretty novice sewer/seamstress, with an ancient sewing machine and not very much technical knowledge, so I was pretty daunted by the task that I set myself. I didn't start with one of the "easy" bags, but launched into "The Organised Office Bag" with a beautiful 50s/60s print fabric that I had bought in a factory seconds shop.
S
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to learn how to make bags, this is THE book! I'd give it more stars if I could! I've been obsessively designing bags since 2011 & this book got me started.
Vanessa
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginners
Shelves: craft-books, buy
I borrowed this book from my local library as I wanted to see what it was like before buying it.

I thought the different sections of the book describing the different techniques for bag making were really good.

I appreciated the way the book referred back to sections instead of repeating the same instructions for the projects.

I didn't have the book long enough to use it to make a bag, but even reading through the book I think that a few diagrams in the instructi
Mandi
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mandis-shelf
What an awesome, awesome book! Absolutely love every purse and bag in it and can't wait to begin making them. All kinds of color photos to illustrate the different steps and techniques, which is a must for this visual-learner and beginner level student. As the description says - it is way more than a set of patterns for a handful of different bags - it is loaded with all kinds of ideas and instructions for how to customize your bag. Fun, fun, fun!
Liz
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft_sewing
I checked this book out of the library and while I didn't like any of the bag projects, I do think it would make a good reference book on how to create your own bags. There are great instructions on how to make different types of pockets and lining. Right now, my brain needs a pattern, perhaps when the kids get older...
Janine
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-goodreads
I love this book, it was the first time I had followed patterns and Lisa's instructions made it really easy. The skills are transferable so once you have made a few of the bags you are ready to adapt and design your own bags. The finished products look good. The bags are time consuming, there are no short cuts but you get what you put in.
dawn
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bag making bible

Love this book very detailed with lots of information on all the material's you can use for bag making and how to change the pattern to your own design and you also get the patterns for the bags in the book which are all gorgeous everything explained so its easy yo understand with photo images for guidance
Trevor Lockwood
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
It is helping me as I set off to make my first bag with my new sewing machine. Need to master skills before Christmas. It is clear, well illustrated and has a reasonable selection of styles. The author uses the as a guide to design and techniques and does not expect her bags to be slavishly copied. Enjoyable and useful
Juliana Haught
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, sewing
So many wonderful bag projects to make! The pictures are good, the bags look to be well-made and cute - the instructions are good, but not fabulous, as they're a little hard to visualize, but still solid. There are a lot of nice tips for making your bags your own and for finishing techniques to make your sewing look really spiffy. I can't wait to try out making some of these bags!
Lisa
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far I have only given this a quick read and I am impressed with all the information that will allow me to make a bag of my own choosing. There are many choices of pockets, handles, closures, etc. I haven't tried to follow any instructions yet so I'm not sure if they are clear yet.
J
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Lam is incredibly gifted at providing clear, detailed, unambiguous pattern-making directions. She can easily turn any complicated project into a hassle-free, inspiring and creative experience.

Her book is as warm and personable as her blog. She is a treasure and a delight!!!
Denise
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sewing-projects
Loved a few of the patterns in this book. The reversible purse on the front with flower closure, the clutch, the totes. Great ideas, but not sure the styles are for me. I like the reversible purse, the weekender and the 10 pocket tote. Easy to follow patterns with lots of pictures.
Raenel Salandy
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word excellent

If you are into bag making......then this is the book for you. Lots of ideas, patterns and pictures. Clutches to travel bags.....this book has well explained projects that anyone can try. This book is a treasure and a must-have.
Angela
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts, read-2014
Nice little craft book all about bag making. I'll be attempting the multi-tote bag soon, once I've been to the fabric store.
Slmstanley
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Worth every penny for the written-and-visual instructions on various techniques.
Laureen
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
very informative... good ideas.
Dilly Dalley
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved that this book took the approach that a handmade bag could still look fabulous and not homemade.
Julia
I havn't done any of the projects in the book yet, but I really like all the projects & the detailed instructions. I'm looking forward to working with it soon.
Kelley
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic-crafts
I appreciate the comprehensive step-by-step instruction of the nuts and bolts of creating any type of bag. Great reference.
Nora
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, sewing
This book is the equivalent of several patterns & may be one of those books I NEED to own--just to have it on hand! Especially loved the overnight bag.
Desi
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sewing-book
Easy to follow and very helpful!
Amelia Ozaez
Anniessa
Aug 21, 2015
Mel Harris
Sep 21, 2017

• The Sewing Machine Accessory Bible: Get the Most Out of Your Machine---From Using Basic Feet to Mastering Specialty Feet
  • Killing for Coal: America's Deadliest Labor War
  • Illumination Night
  • The Eagle Tree
  • By Night in Chile
  • We Were the Mulvaneys
  • Winter Journey
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
  • Animal Dreams
  • More Sewing to Sell--Take Your Handmade Business to the Next Level: 16 New Projects to Make & Sell!
  • The Light of the Fireflies
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • Christmas Under the Stars
  • Christmas on Primrose Hill
  • Elemental (Elemental, #1)
  • Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
  • Dr. Colbert's Keto Zone Diet: Burn Fat, Balance Appetite Hormones, and Lose Weight
  • Keto in 28: The Ultimate Low-Carb, High-Fat Weight-Loss Solution