Start by marking “The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)

The Cater Street Hangman

(Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  16,550 ratings  ·  1,392 reviews
Careless of both murder and manners, Charlotte Ellison and her sister, two determinedly unconventional young women, ignore Victorian mores and actively join the police investigation, led by young Inspector Thomas Pitt, into the murder of their servant girl. Reissue.
Published October 12th 1998 by Fawcett Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Cater Street Hangman, please sign up.
Alf Goodall My preference is to read books in order of publication if they are part of a series, however it isn't necessary to do so. I highly recommend reading t…moreMy preference is to read books in order of publication if they are part of a series, however it isn't necessary to do so. I highly recommend reading this book first as it establishes how the two principal characters met.(less)

·  16,550 ratings  ·  1,392 reviews

Start your review of The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
Jaline
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In July 2003 I first came across Anne Perry’s “Charlotte and Thomas Pitt” series. I read 17 of them, including this one. However, I read them all out of order – and many of them were not available at all at my Library so it was a bit of a scrambled mess. One thing I do remember: I loved reading this series.

When I decided to fill in the gaps, I noticed that I had not read #2 through and including #5. So as soon as I had an available series spot, I decided to rectify this. Then I decided to read t
Phrynne
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it

Historical mystery has turned out to be a favourite genre of mine. There is something very intriguing about watching the police attempting to solve crime without the use of all our modern techniques. Often, as in this case, the murderer is captured in the act which is pretty conclusive!
I had a few small issues with this book, for example the occasional info dumps which I actually skimmed. However these were more than made up for by the excellent story and the characters. I loved the little roman
C.
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne Perry is beloved and prolific. I picked up many books and discovered they belonged in series. I often wonder if historic society will feel too oppressed to enjoy, or to relate to protagonists. This writer shows a world without reciting an instruction manual and a reasonable percentage of scenes scurry towards the point of the story. With mystery, that is a must. In fact I would encourage her to let us unwind, following revelations. Her novels end with a thud; exciting but I would love to ab ...more
Jaya
More of a family drama in the background of a series of murder of local women
A bit trying, all that drama, was, and the end too abrupt.
However, I did like the MCs well enough to try the next book in the series of 30 😵 odd books
Amanda
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I read this on a day I stayed home sick from work. I felt terrible, but escaping into this book gave me several hours of wonderful distraction. Perry perfectly evoked the spirit and flavor of the era and what life was like for an intelligent and curious young woman in a time when those were not considered favorable attributes for women.
The mystery is good, touching as it does the obsessions the Victorians had for sex and religion. The best thing for me in The Cater Street Hangman is the sense of
Ingrid
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story started so slowly that I was a little apprehensive about reading on, but it soon got better. Although this is light reading I thought it very enjoyable.
Linda (not getting friends updates at this time)
3.5 Stars

Imagine if you will a society that expected women to stifle their feelings for the good of all. A proper lady would marry, bear children and serve her husband and family. She was to be pleasing and her household was presumed to run with complete order. Her goal was to avoid any cause for upset and she was expected to look the other way when necessary.

Charlotte Ellison was a product of the times. Though they loved her immensely, she was the bane of her parents. In her early twenties, sh
Amy
What I thought I was getting: (i.e. the synopsis on Goodreads)

What I actually got:
Charlotte: "Oh my! These deaths are so tragic. I'll say everything that comes to my mind. Isn't my brother-in-law hot? Women are so down-trodden."
Emily: "Oh sure
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I stayed up until 5:30am listening to this audiobook, because it was due back at the library today. I can't say that it was wasted time. It was a pretty good book and the narrator, Davina Porter does a satisfying job. However, I didn't love this book. I think the major issue I had was that I found most of the characters unlikable.

Charlotte did grow on me. She had some notions and beliefs that weren't ideal (she tended to be very naive about things and was somewhat snobbish and judgmental towards
rayne ♥ [ IG: rayne.reads ]
Jan 29, 2021 marked it as will-never-read
This author's real name is Juliet Hulme, the same person who murdered her friend's mother, and has yet to show any remorse for her actions (as seen in interviews and articles). There's people who are racially profiled and put in prison for crimes they did not commit or are not grave and their lives are ruined forever, and yet this woman gets to walk away free after only 5 years of jail time and become a successful crime author, while others have to face a fate far worse for crimes they didn't ev ...more
Rose
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
The Cater Street Hangman is the first Charlotte & Inspector Pitt novel by Anne Perry. I had read some of the Pitt mysteries as a teenager and thought I might start at the beginning of the series and read them through. I remembered being fascinated by them at the time, but memory isn't always reliable. In fact, the story is intriguing, well-written, with an interesting twist at the end and a strong component of social commentary that is as relevent today as to the time period in which the story i ...more
Jenny
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
The Cater Street Hangman is the first book in the Thomas Pitt series by Anne Perry. Inspector Pitt caught a case of the killing of young ladies at night around Cater Street London. During his investigation, Inspector Pitt met the beautiful Charlotte Ellison after the death of her maid. The Readers of The Cater Street Hangman will follow the twists and turns of Inspector Pitt investigation into the murders and will wonder if Charlotte and Inspector Pitt will fall in love.

I never thought I would e
Heidi
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
As usual, I read the first book in this great Victorian mystery series somewhere around book three or four... Anne Perry is a great mystery writer with a sense of Victorian past... I definitely need to go back and finish this series.
Nicole
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Wendy Darling
I never really got into the rest of the series (or the Monk ones), but I really like this book. Rereading it now, there's a definite modern feminist slant, but it's never to the detriment of the plot, and is a big part of shaping Charlotte's characterization. The mystery is well-plotted and engaging, and you can practically hear the gas lamps sputtering... ...more
Anuradha
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in historical thrillers.
Recommended to Anuradha by: Call it the larger scheme of things.
Some history, before I dive into the book. Yesterday, I read about the late Dee Dee Blancharde who clearly suffered from Munchhausen by proxy. One thing led to another, as it does so often in such cases, and soon, I was reading about the infamous Parker-Hulme murder case. Imagine my surprise when I read Hulme was actually a critically acclaimed writer! So I bought the Kindle edition of this book five minutes later, and here we are now.

Right off the bat, for some reason, the blurb made me think
Jamie Collins
This is Anne Perry’s first published novel, and it’s not too bad. I look forward to continuing this series (27 books!) which takes place in the late 1800’s, about 20-30 years later than her other Victorian mysteries featuring William Monk.

This book describes the meeting, under tragic circumstances, of Police Inspector Thomas Pitt and Charlotte Ellison, the daughter of a banker. Young women in Charlotte’s neighborhood are being murdered, and Pitt investigates the crimes while initiating a few mor
Donna Schmidt
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Victorian Murder mystery. A nod to Jack the Ripper style but oh no Jack here......
Jaime
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
How can I not like this? It combines two of my favorite things… historical fiction and a murder mystery! It’s set in Victorian-era England, and I think all the intricacies of social life at that time are well portrayed. It must have been so stressful living at that time and always worrying if you’re doing and saying the right things! It seemed to me that the worst thing one could do was be “impertinent”.

I’m not sure how I feel about Anne Perry’s somewhat sordid past, but I really enjoyed this bo
Leslie
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent mystery but it is also excellent social commentary. We are introduced to Charlotte Elliot, middle class in 1881, second daughter of a banker. Charlotte is difficult for her family because she speaks her mind in an era where they just wasn't done.

She is also in love with her older sister's husband who lives with Charlotte, her parents and her younger sister Emily. This is an interesting time period because there are less restrictions on women than in the Regency or Georgian
Kathy Davie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homey, mystery, history
First in the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt historical mystery series set in Victorian England in 1881.

The Story
A number of murders committed by the same person brings Inspector Thomas Pitt to the Ellison household with questions regarding the victims. Naturally, being a respectable household, the Ellisons clam up. Then one of the household becomes a murder victim and Pitt becomes a regular, if mostly unwanted, fixture.

And so the summer winds into fall with few clues but leaving time for some in the
JayeL
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Ira
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

After slow started this book was quite a surprise.
I like Charlotte, eventhought she was rude at Thomas first but the guy didn't seem to care much with her attitude. He wanted her and at the end he got the girl!:)
Oh the way Ms. Perry described Thomas's hair reminds me to Edward Cullen's hair, lol.
I know I know, Thomas exists long before the teen vampire!

It's a good start for this long series and yes, not as good as St. Cyr but not a light mystery crimes either. And I'm glad I found anot
LJ
THE CATER STREET HANGMAN - VG
Perry, Anne - 1st in series

While the Ellison girls were out paying calls and drinking tea like proper Victorian ladies, a maid in their household was strangled to death. The quiet and young Inspector Pitt investigates the scene and finds no one above suspicion. As his intense questioning causes many a composed facade to crumble, Pitt finds himself curiously drawn to pretty Charlotte Ellison. Yet, a romance between a society girl and so unsuitable a suitor was impossi
Ann Lou
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
A mass murderer of young women, who garroted them is what we're looking for in this book. I admit I was a little shock when the killer was revealed. Not expecting it all.

This started a little slow. I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But Charlotte and Thomas won me in the end. I hope this will get better.
Rubi
Crime fiction? Really? Mmm, Anne, I know you can make it better.

The only really good thing has been the end; so unexpected. And...ok, I like how you let us know the characters. But I hope a lot more from you! Come on!
Tammie
This is the first in Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mysteries, and one of my favorites. I fell in love with Anne Perry's books when I read Pentecost Alley. I bought it not realizing it was part of a series. After reading it I knew I had to read the rest of them. I love the rich period detail she gives her books. She really brings Victorian London to life like no one else. ...more
Lady Delacour
Slow beginning that builds.
Enjoyable story that makes me
excited to continue with the series.
Narrator Davina Porter is so good.
Clean except for Mild Foul Language.
Tracy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I read the first book in Anne Perry's Willam Monk series and really enjoyed it. I was interested to see how this series was so picked this one up.

It is in my opinion not nearly as good. The reader isn't following the investigation of the murders but is instead stuck at home with Charlotte's obnoxious family. It probably would've been a better book if I'd been following the detective.

So, at about 40% I couldn't take it anymore. I skipped to the end and found out who the murderer was. I know - b
Rebecca
A decent beginning to a series.

The book focused more on family/social aspects that I was anticipating. I really liked Thomas Pitt and hope subsequent books focus more on the mystery/police. The romance between Charlotte and Mr. Pitt appeared way too rushed as well, but I enjoyed the characters enough to continue with the series.

Historical Mysteries: Thomas and Charlotte Pitt 1 14 Sep 10, 2019 12:34PM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #1) - 12/16/19 thry 01/31/19 11 33 Feb 03, 2019 05:00AM
What is your favorite Pitt book? 3 45 Dec 23, 2014 06:33PM
ask 10 93 Jan 03, 2014 07:32AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Mystery series set in old time England [s] 5 23 Dec 24, 2007 04:23PM

• Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Murder at Queen's Landing (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #4)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • Murder on Fifth Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #14)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Murder In The Caravan (Redmond and Haze Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on Sisters' Row (Gaslight Mystery, #13)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
Anne Perry (born Juliet Hulme) is an English author of historical detective fiction, best known for her Thomas Pitt and William Monk series. In 1954, at the age of fifteen, she was convicted of participating in the murder of her friend's mother. She changed her name to "Anne Perry" after serving a five-year sentence.

Her first novel, The Cater Street Hangman, was published under this name in 1979.

Charlotte & Thomas Pitt (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Callander Square (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #2)
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • Resurrection Row  (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #4)
  • Rutland Place (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #5)
  • Bluegate Fields (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #6)
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
  • Cardington Crescent (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #8)
  • Silence in Hanover Close (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #9)
  • Bethlehem Road (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #10)
  • Highgate Rise (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #11)

News & Interviews

“Was a great enemy as much a part of a man’s life as a great friend? Surely it must be. It must be the cross thread in the fabric of emotions.” 1 likes
“I do not always observe the rules of society, but I am quite aware of what they are!” 0 likes