Start by marking “The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)

The Cat, the Lady and the Liar

(A Cats in Trouble Mystery #3)

Cat quilter Jillian Hart finds a gorgeous stray cat belonging to the fabulously wealthy Ritaestelle Longworth, who believes she's being drugged. Before Jillian can get to those charges, a body turns up in the lake-and her cat Chablis finds Ritaestelle nearby. Can Jillian's cats aid her in solving a mystery with decades old roots?
Published April 5th 2011 by NAL (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat, the Lady and the Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat, the Lady and the Liar

Start your review of The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
Yvonne
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and have been looking forward to catching up with it for awhile. I finally had the chance. It was well worth the wait.

Jillian Hart, once again, finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery. Not only are her cats involved, but so is the stray that she found. She tries to return the cat to her human, Ritaestelle, but she’s not sure she’s fit to be taking care of a cat. She can’t even take care of herself, plus there are a ton of rumors surrounding Ritaestelle and they aren't
Ian
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: meow prrrrrrrrrr
description

After Isis is found abandoned on the side of the highway, Jillian is enlisted to investigate her food woman and find out if she is fit to own a cat.
When she first arrives at Jillian's home, she isn't too happy, hissing and arching her back at Jillian's three cats, Merlot, Syrah and Chablis. But Jillian's cats won't take any stick from the spoiled Isis and before long she knows her place in the pecking order.
When Isis's food woman turns up on Jillian's doorstep one night, she couldn't know that
Lindig
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, unfinished
Barely okay. Silly plot. Silly heroine. Terrible proofreading, as in "The cop waived their car through" (I'm assuming this is not the author's fault). However, the dialogue is the author's fault and I can't tolerate "if only they would have . . ." especially twice in one paragraph.
LORI CASWELL
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jillian Hart is back with her three wonderful frisky felines, Chablis, Syrah and Merlot, for another Cat In Trouble Mystery. This time they are joined by yet another feline who was found near the highway. This rescued kitty's high brow attitude has proved to be too much for shelter rescue owner Shawn Cuddahee. He has begged Jillian to take the royal Isis and help him determine if she should be returned to her rightful owner, who has not returned any of his calls, or be put up for adoption for ...more
Nancy Ellis
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Needed a mental rest following my previous book, and this was perfect. This is an adorable series!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Leann Sweeney's "The Cat, The Lady, and the Liar" was suspenseful from sentence one, "I try not to lie." I was hooked. I mean held in my excited palms is a wonderful book filled with all sorts of possibilities and so I quickly read the next sentence, "Honestly."...

If this doesn't intrigue you, how about Cats with personalities, abilities to sleuth, and comfort? Not to mention their intriguing names: Merlot, Syrah, and Chablis? What does a Black Cat have to do with a murder?

Jillian Hart, pet
Ellery Adams
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love the Cats in Trouble series. From the small-town South Carolina setting, to the cast of interesting characters, to the memorable animals, reading these books are like going out for coffee with old friends. In this third installment, a cat with a diamond collar is in trouble and behind the closed doors of her antebellum mansion, all is not as polished and genteel as it appears. Jillian sets out to aid the abandoned animal and, in her gentle manner, uncovers an even more serious crime. The ...more
Bethj
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have really tried to like this series. It has the cozy atmosphere, cats and quilts. But now that I have read this third installment, I have to concede that there is just something missing. My main problem with the books are the plots. The reasonings for the crimes are a little far fetched and really don't meld at all. This latest installment is the worst of it. You just can't believe the ending. It is not developed enough as plausible, and the cliched characters do not help in the matter. I ...more
Ashley
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I read about halfway and put it down. I just couldn't get past some of the problems I had with book #1 - I felt they had gotten worse. I felt that the explanations of why the main character did what she did were weak at best, and I couldn't get behind her.
Donna
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was just ok. I found the plot over-wrought and tedious and a chore to finish. The characters' feelings and actions were inconsistent and overly dramatic.
Nicole
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jillian finds a stray cat belonging to a very wealthy woman, Ritaestelle Longworth, and is charged with returning the cat to her owner. Things seem a little suspicious at the Longworth residence and when a dead body turns up in Jillian’s backyard, it’s up to Jillian to figure out what’s really going on.

One of the best cozy mysteries I’ve read. I never found myself bored with the storyline, and it kept me guessing who was the culprit. I loved how much the cats played into the story and the fact
Narilka
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Jillian Hart is at it again! There is a cat in trouble and she must help out. A gorgeous stray cat has been found by the local animal shelter and Jillian has agreed to help track down the owner, who happens to be none other than Ritaestelle Longworth, the fabulously wealthy owner of a large estate in a neighboring town. Rumor has it that there is something wrong with Ritaestelle and her family claims she's been stealing form stores around town. Ritaestelle claims someone has been drugging her ...more
Roberta
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction, series, cats
I wanted to like this book because I was looking forward to reading a series of cat mysteries but the cats were the only good characters in the book. The human characters are totally ridiculous.

Jillian Hart is a volunteer for Mercy Animal Sanctuary. It is their policy to speak with the owner before returning a stray animal. The director picked up a stray but, when he called the owner's home, he was told by the owner's assistant that the owner was "indisposed." So Jillian decides to go to the
Nora-adrienne
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozies
The Cat, the Lady, and the Liar
By Leann Sweeney
Copyright April 2011
Publisher Obsidian Mystery

When cat quilter Jillian tracks down the owner of a gorgeous stray cat, the trail leads her to none other then fabulously wealthy, undeniably quirky Ritaestelle Longworth. The gossips in town are questioning Ritaestelle’s sanity, and the high-society grande dame isn’t helping matters with her wild accusations that someone is drugging her to keep her away from her beloved cat.
Before Jillian can get to
Bev
May 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
It took me awhile to get interested in this cozy mystery. It turned out to be ok and I got over my dislike of Ritaestelle's name, something that made early reading uncomfortable. I very much disliked the addition of lots of explaining of things that were already perfectly clear from the context. It really felt like I was being 'written down to'. Lots of the book seemed forced and it's not one that I'll re-read nor will I search out another by this author but it was still an ok read.
Laura Lee
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Isis is one privileged cat. She is the pet of the richest woman in the county and she gets kicked out of her house. What happened? Jillian, the famous cat quilter, takes Isis in until the mystery can be solved. These books have a pretty good mystery and I really enjoy the antics of Jillian's three cats. This one was especially cute. Have enjoyed the series.
Nancy Bradford
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in a series about Jillian Hart and her cats. Ms Sweeney has introduced what I hope to be a recurring character in the form of Ms Ritaestella Longworth, she is a charmer. The characters that have been in the previous books have expanded so that we are learning more about them and yet I'm sure there is more to learn.

Anyone who loves Cozies should love this one.
Sabra
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
One of the characters is named Ritaestelle, which is fine except they call her that over, and over, and over again. No shortening to Rita. Ritaestelle this, and Ritaestelle that. After a while I just skipped over the word entirely. Yes, it was bad enough to make my book review go down a star!
Anne-Kathrine
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Enjoyed this book in the series like I did the others and look forward to reading the next one :)
Regina
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.Its nice to have cat books that really have cats dominant in the story line.Will be reading all the other books.
Meg McGregor
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This book, is the very definition, of what a "cozy mystery" should be!

It had engaging characters, amusing anecdotes, and quite a mystery, I have to say!

I did figure out the identity of the murderer... before Jillian did! (Pats myself on the back!)

As soon as the identity of the button wearer was established, well..... nothing more will be said!

I also learned some more about cats!

A. A cat's sense of smell is hundreds of times keener than humans!

B. Cats understand when they are in trouble. And they
Amy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun cats in trouble mystery… So this time it seems that the plot is a little more complex. It was very interesting though. I really thought that there are a lot of very good red herrings to distract the reader from who may have been the real culprit. I still like Jillian quite a bit. And the more I get to see her stepdaughter the more I like her as well. I also like Tom quite a bit and Candace of course. I’m kind of hoping Candace ends up with somebody nice because she seems like a nice ...more
Marietta Slater
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a cat lady, so I am truly enjoying this series. I love it how Jillian's cats *help* her solve mysteries.
Jillian is asked to go to the home of a very rich lady, Ritaestelle Longworth, to report to her that she has Ritaestelle's cat. When she arrives, she is told that Ms. Longworth is not seeing anyone. There is a commotion upstairs and Jillian being just a tad nosy goes up the stairs to see what the commotion was all about. She briefly sees Ms. Longworth but is hurriedly ushered out the
Vickie
I do love Leann Sweeney's books. She hooked me with her Yellow Rose mysteries, then with her Cats in Trouble mysteries. The setting is neat, the characters are engaging, the cats aren't too precious for words [they are just right]. Ornery and keep Jillian, the main character, on her toes.
There's also a love interest and a woman who is trying her darndest to keep Jillian and love from finding a way. I really like not-liking Lydia. I like when a character is so well-written that I want to smack
Natalie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was concerned about beginning the third book in this series having not read the second, but I need not have worried because it all made sense to me without skipping a beat. While this could easily be read as a stand-alone mystery, I recommend reading #1: The Cat, the Corpse and the Quilt, first, just to get the lay of the land. I actually like this book better than the first but both fall perfectly into the cozy mystery genre. Main character, Jillian, is a widow who makes quilts for cats when ...more
Sandra Holladay
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I am enjoying the series, and the writing is good, but there are a few things that do irritate me and make this a three star instead of four. Lydia flat out told Jillian and Tom that Jillian wouldn’t come between her and Tom. Evidently Tom has no intention of setting the record straight as he could easily have done when he walked Lydia to her car. Guess he likes the drama. And Jillian, why would anyone feel like a failure because they couldn’t bring a dead woman back to life with cpr? Not only ...more
Joan
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very entertaining. A rich elderly recluse loses a car, Jillian wants to return it if the lady is able to are for it, and then the trouble begins! The lady winds up on Jillian's porch and a corpse appears in the lake at the edge of her property.

Jillian winds up fostering the cat, being suspected of foul doings by obnoxious coroner Lydia Monk, and then the "fun" really begins!

I would rank this book 4.5.
Krista Braaten
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jillian is back at it again. She has re-enforced things in her house, and yet trouble comes walking to her door. She needs to figure out the truth to give a cat back. Yet things are not always what they seem.

Leann Sweeney writes with heart. I am still catching up on this series. I am loving seeing things grow between not only Kara and Jillian but other characters as well. I cannot wait to see what happens next.
Brittany ♥♥~Proud Hufflepuff and supporter of S.P.E.W. ~♥♥
It never ceases to amaze me how Jillian always seems to be in the middle of all the trouble going down in this small town. But i'll be damned if she's not a pretty awesome detective...or at least her cats are and she just follows suit. This book was definitely better than book 2, but not as good as book 1 when we first meet the characters. I'm curious to see if ritaestelle will show up in any of the later books, but for now...onto book 4!
Jill
Nov 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: library-books, series
My friends know I am not a cat lover, but the author made me believe that for some people cats can calm them and lower blood pressure. This time I didn't pick up the clues to the murderer as I have in a few of the books I have read lately.

An easy read. It is nice to read a series that brings different tales but the reader can still revisit the characters in the story who have become friends the reader wants to learn more about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Cat, The Lady and The Liar 1 4 Jun 18, 2012 06:25AM

• Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Claws for Concern (Cat in the Stacks, #9)
  • Six Cats a Slayin' (Cat in the Stacks, #10)
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #11)
  • Tailing a Tabby (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #2)
  • Arsenic and Old Books (Cat in the Stacks, #6)
  • Twelve Angry Librarians (Cat in the Stacks, #8)
  • The Silence of the Library (Cat in the Stacks, #5)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • Dead with the Wind (Southern Ladies Mystery, #2)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Cats Came Back (A Magical Cats Mystery #10)
  • No Escape Claws (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #6)
  • No Cats Allowed (Cat in the Stacks, #7)
  • Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • Cookies and Clairvoyance (Magical Bakery Mystery #8)
  • Pouncing on Murder (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #4)
Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry. Her short fiction won many awards and several mysteries were published in small market mystery magazines. Leann has written 13 cozy mysteries: 5 in The Yellow ...more

A Cats in Trouble Mystery (8 books)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
  • The Cat, the Vagabond and the Victim (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat, the Sneak and the Secret (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #7)
  • The Cat, the Collector and the Killer (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #8)