Start by marking “Raining Cats & Dogs (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #12)” as Want to Read:
Raining Cats & Dogs (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #12)

Raining Cats & Dogs

(Melanie Travis #12)

Melanie Travis has her hands full these days, what with adding a husband and three more dogs to her already cramped home. The advanced obedience training for her dog Faith is a welcome respite from the stresses of house hunting--until murder forces Melanie to the head of the class. . .

Even amidst the chaos, Melanie somehow manages to eke out a bit of time to get Faith enro

Published (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Raining Cats & Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raining Cats & Dogs

Start your review of Raining Cats & Dogs (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #12)
Jackie
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
I enjoyed this book in the series even though it wasn't my favorite. It had dogs, obedience school, and a new neighbor who doesn't seem to have boundaries.
In terms of the obedience school, which was the dog theme instead of dog shows, I felt that it was there to make the mystery happen and not to add to the plot. While I would have loved to read more about obedience school as with the dog show world, the setting was superficial and really only served to provide someone
Leah
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one takes place in the spring. It involves dog training, a retirement home, cats, a house swap, family drama, and theft. The family drama did not involve Melanie and her family, but the house swap did. The family issues were in all but the cats and house swap parts of the story, which were connected to each other. It was interesting to see it all come together. I didn't trust the culprit, but I didn't think that person was guilty. There were no dog shows in this story, which was a bit disap ...more
Heidi Burkhart
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! Another great installment in Melanie's adventures!
Clare O'Beara
Melanie has a houseful of poodles and a kid and a husband, all of them content but cramped. This book looks at obedience classes and when someone dies, as usual Peg, Melanie's aunt, starts investigating and asks Melanie to find answers. Meanwhile a new neighbour makes a habit of letting her cats out, and calling them wearing a skimpy nightie.

The tale is okay but not the most enjoyable of the series, while I think Susan Conant makes more fun of obedience classes, her character Holly Winter brave
Karen & Gerard
Raining Cats and Dogs by Laurien Berenson is a murder mystery with some dog and cat stories tossed in which added some humor. The main character has five poodles and a neighbor who has a bunch of cats. Her private life relating to her neighbor was the humorous part of the book. She and her poodle went to a dog obedience class which invited her to join them on their visit to the nursing home. Although they weren't therapy dogs exactly, many of the residents enjoyed seeing the dogs. I was interest ...more
Karen B.
Melanie Travis takes her standard poodle, Faith to obedience school. Through one of the other humans in the class, she learns that the class has been visiting a local nursing home to bring pet therapy to the residents. On her visit Melanie has a wonderful time, determined to return the next week. But as she is leaving the nursing home she learns that one of the residents has been murdered. This sets Melanie on her sleuthing adventure determined to find out what really happened to "Aunt Mary". Th ...more
Anne
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book. For dog lovers and mystery lovers alike.
Cathy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dogs and a murder mystery! What's not to love! The Melanie Travis Mystery Series is the kind of read I'm looking for when I'm in the mood for cozy!

This time Melanie Travis takes her beloved Standard Poodle, Faith to an advanced obedience group that schedules weekly visits to a local nursing home to provide some "dog therapy" to the elderly residents. On her very first visit, Melanie discovers a resident has been murdered and the sleuthing begins amid a variety of other diversions that only life
Marsha
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On this series I see I came in on #12. I still enjoyed the story. I figured I had missed some things, but it was an easy enjoyable read with a lot of fun twists. I did hate the murder part though. I thought I might like her and was sorry to see her go. Would have been sorry to see any of the residents there go, but in a murder mystery, I guess it's got to be somebody. I enjoyed getting to know Melanie and her family and look forward to the next one I read.
Emily Cullen
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis is adjusting to married life and five standard poodles in a small house when she has the opportunity to bring her dog faith into a nursing home with the other Obedience Club members. But their first visit ends in tragedy when a patient is found suffocated in her bed. Melanie now has a reputation of being a sleuth and the woman's relative asks for her help. I really enjoy the "Melanie Travis" mysteries, especially watching the evolution of the main characters.
Annalee
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read for a Dog Lover

I enjoyed this book for the most part. I love mysteries and dogs. If you don't like dogs, you might not be as happy with this book. I really enjoyed that profanity, vulgarity and intimacy were not included in this lighthearted mystery. Thanks much Ms. Berenson👍
Dana
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this installment in this series. Melanie is a good main character. She grows in each installment. Her interactions with the other semi-main characters are good and there is a lot of humor. The mystery in this one was just so-so. The writing flows in a conversational manner.
Lena H.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Possibly my favorite in the series so far. Somewhat of an Agatha Christie-esque storyline, interesting characters and while we were a bit lacking in motives that only lent to the mystery.
Shawnee
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bosco and Mrs Ellis ❤
ReadaBook
This seemed to meander, however, after completing it, it was clear that this book in the series was to set up some new story lines. Always enjoy the tidbits about dogs and dog training.
Jane
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Haiku review #34

Only so many
Murders an amateur can
Stumble on. Jumped shark.
andrea
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-donation
Same as always. Too much dog not enough mystery
Carol Stanley-Snow
First time reading this author. Won't be the last!!

A great mystery with doggoes!!! Any book with dogs, is a good book. Oh, the people are good too...
Libby
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book and another great installment in Melanie’s adventures!
Sharyn Hutchens
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great light read!

I've read most of Laurien Berenson's books and this one is no disappointment. As always her 'dog lingo' is spot on and therefore doesn't grate on the nerves of those of us In the dog show world (although I think you refer to obedience titles, not degrees). My only criticism, and it is small, is that Faith is just too perfect. She never does anything naughty! And in this book, though she is a conformation trained dog, she seemed to get obedience commands a little too quickly. Yes
Celeste
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Disappointing, but not awful. I picked it up from the library. hoping that it would be as charming and along the lines of "The Cat Who . . ." novels by Lilian Jackson Braun. However, the book was 90% poodles and only 10% (at most) mystery. There were few clues and it was solved in the last 10 pages after wasting lots of time on poodle obedience classes and less time on a neighbor with a cat and a house swap with an ex-husband. Needs a better balance -- unless of course you just want to read abou ...more
Julia
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Another solid book in the Melanie Travis series. A murder is committed in a senior residential facility, and it is up to Melanie to figure out who did it. The murderer is not readily apparent, so it is hard to guess who it is. Melanie has joined an obedience training class with her dog, Faith, and also joins the group in visits to the senior home. There are several new people and their dogs to meet. As a dog lover, it is always interesting to read books about other dog lovers. I am looking forwa ...more
Joan
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis and her poodles are back for another spot of crime-solving. I enjoyed this title far less than the others I have read. The early murder of a very sympathetic character was disturbing, and the solution was just plain foolish, as if the author had written the requisite number of words and had to end the story in a hurry. The usual characters were, as always, enjoyable, but the new ones were never fully developed and remained two-dimensional.
Sherrill Watson
Since I've had some experience training my dogs (which was funny, incidentally) I skimmed over parts of the first 30 pages. Like the other readers I was put off by Melanie's dislike of cats -- I like both -- and surprised that a nursing home would let a novice come in with a big dog. I liked Melanie's family dynamics though they were cardboard characters. The title -- there was no rain and no cats, so . . . ?????
Dorothy Timm
Being an animal lover, I enjoyed this book. However, if you're not crazy about dogs, there were some things I didn't like. The motive for the murder, information you needed to try to solve it, wasn't made known to the reader until near the end. Also, I didn't like the choice of who was murdered. It was kind of sad. And she didn't like cats, which I do. Overall, enjoyable, but not overly so.
Myra
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Melanie is enlisted to investigate the death of an elderly resident of a nursing home. A death that coincidentally happens during Melanie's first visit to the home with her standard poodle, Faith. An entertaining, well-plotted mystery. It would have gotten four stars but the vilification of cats in this book was a little heavy-handed.
Darinda
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
The 12th book in the Melanie Travis mystery series by Laurien Berenson. Melanie is enjoying the obedience classes she takes her poodle Faith to each week. Besides the classes, the group members take their dogs to a local nursing home to visit the residents. During a visit, one of the residents is killed and Melanie decides to investigate. A light cozy mystery. Good for dog lovers.
Karen Beris
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a really quick read. I read the majority of it over two days. The story has a good plot. This woman goes to an assisted living facility with her dog to entertain the residents. While she is there a woman dies. The main character tries to figure out who killed the woman. The characters are well thought out.
Rachel N.
Melanie Travis enrolls her poodle Faith in an obedience class. During the classes visit to a nursing home the great aunt of one of the class members is murdered and Melanie becomes involved in solving the case. A light mystery with a bit too much about how wonderful poodles are.
Julie
The mystery is a little limp in this one, but I enjoyed the character interactions.

• Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1)
  • Banana Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #21)
  • Murder Once Removed
  • Buried to the Brim (Hat Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Wicked Wildlife (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #8)
  • Assault & Beret (Hat Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Malevolent Magic (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #9)
  • Killer Keys (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #10)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • When I Was You
  • Chaotic Corgis (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #6)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Perilous Pottery (Cozy Corgi Mysteries, #11)
  • Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #16)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Devil's Food Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #14)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-five Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, GAME OF DOG BONES.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fict

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)

News & Interviews

“Might I point out that nobody connected with my agility class has ever been murdered?” 0 likes