Start by marking “Fidelity: Stories” as Want to Read:
Fidelity: Stories

Fidelity: Stories

From acclaimed poet and Giller-nominated novelist Michael Redhill comes Fidelity, a subtle but searing collection of short fiction.

By turns brooding, strange, and funny, Fidelity probes the blandishments of temptation, the swooning submission to concupiscence, the illusory redemption of desire, the ambivalence at the heart of the most intimate trust, and, most importantly,
Published April 15th 2003 by Anchor Canada (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fidelity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fidelity

Start your review of Fidelity: Stories
David
Asks provocative questions throughout about the nature of fidelity. Interesting from a Canadian perspective. Nothing ends up as one might stereotypically expect.
Bob Wake
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Reviewed in 2004]

Canadian author Michael Redhill spent ten years writing his debut novel, Martin Sloane, published to wide acclaim in 2001. As if challenging himself to master the whole of Henry James’s The Art of the Novel in one fell swoop, Redhill fashioned a meticulous and structurally flawless narrative. Told largely through the first-person voice of a female character recounting her love affair with an enigmatic artist who later disappears under ambiguous circumstances, Martin Sloane is t
Emmyland
I picked this book up in a terribly disappointing bookshop in Malta, as only few of many in English I had little but no choice to purchase this one or a crime Fiction. However this book surprised me, each short story is weird and wonderful, but if I was to criticise the endings are somewhat dead and sudden.
Rena Graham
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Yes, he writes about real life in a real way, but his characters are loathsome, shallow, unaware human beings that I don't want to encounter either on the page or in real life. Good writing, but who cares?
Carter Murphy
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fidelity is something that I think about often, so I enjoyed reading these stories, and seeing how the author fleshed it out in different ways.
Paul
Good introspective relationship stories. Nice length of short stories for quick read to pass time
Maki
Jun 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
I did not really get the point in these short stories, not for me...
Rennie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read about half of the stories and only one of them felt accessible in that it did not require too much thinking as to what the point of the story might be.
Christina M Rau
Lots of books have the title, Fidelity. Michael Redhill takes a broader perspective on what that word actually means. It involves frogs, sex tapes, scientific fact, roadkill, and vasectomies. Some stories show that even thinking about being with someone other than your spouse is an act of infidelity--not an uncontrollable dream, but an actual plan even if the plan isn't fully developed and is for some time in the distant future. Some stories show that divorce is not the end of love, no matter th ...more
Timothy
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The collection of short stories is loosely tied together by the thread of marriage, children and love. The stories are set in a variety of spots known to Redhill includng Mount Morris NY (caveat Redhill does not think highly of our local town) to European trains and apartments. Redhill is a gifted writer and deftly exposes the emotions hidden beneath everyday life.
Alex
Sep 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
10 stories about, in many ways, the exact opposite of the title. Damaged people trying not to break their fidelity to themselves and ending up hurting those they should be faithful to. The fickle nature of love, the selfish nature of humanity. Often devestating and fragile, but rarely perfect. A solid three.
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good stories...loss with no redemption...a reminder that we can and do damage people whom we have loved. Canadians...there is something I find calming in an otherworldly way about Canadian fiction. Makes me want to read similarly themed (and slightly more humorous)short stories of Alice Munro
Cecily
Short stories on the theme of loyalty (in the broadest sense), mostly set in contemporary SE Canada. Well written, but mostly rather depressing: loyalty only seems to bring misery, or at least regret.

Peacegal
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories about human nature, and all of its failings and foibles.

The illustration on the cover is a great, deceptively simple illustration of what happens when we betray another's trust.
Marianna Monaco
Stories on a wide range of relationships, looking at fidelity from many angles. My favorite story is Long Division, a heart-felt mother-son story.
John Paterson
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading these stories by Cdn writer Michael Redhill.
Sharlene
Oct 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really into this book, had to force myself to complete it. I was intrigued by the title, but disappointed with the outcome.
Abby Peck
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful short stories that I will treasure forever. ok, I really like them.
Diana
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Short stories, some of them interesting. But I am not a big fan of this type of books without a real sequence.
Susan
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories left me cold, but in a good way.
Joan Osterberg
I like this book so far, quick reading and very interesting
Jenny
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Redhill is quietly amazing.
crazy-book-lady

• The Yogini
  • The Captain and the Glory: An Entertainment
  • Assorted Fire Events
  • The Secret Goldfish: Stories
  • Min kamp 1 (Min kamp #1)
  • Spring (Seasonal, #3)
  • Ein ganzes Leben
  • Canada
  • The Largesse of the Sea Maiden
Aka Inger Ash Wolfe.

Michael Redhill is an American-born Canadian poet, playwright and novelist.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Redhill was raised in the metropolitan Toronto, Ontario area. He pursued one year of study at Indiana University, and then returned to Canada, completing his education at York University and the University of Toronto. He was on the editorial board of Coach House Press from 19