Start by marking “Five Parts Dead” as Want to Read:
Five Parts Dead

Five Parts Dead

What do you do when you’ve just lost three of your best mates?
Who do you turn to when your life is suddenly bound to a wheelchair?

Dan has dodged the Reaper again. If he were a cat, five of his nine lives would be gone—when his mates didn’t even get second chances. He’s still grieving their deaths when he’s dragged on a family holiday at a remote island lighthouse.

Left alon
Published August 2nd 2010 (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Five Parts Dead, please sign up.
Nathaniel Maldonado Tim, I got this. It is simply too much for the middle aged viewers to read. If we left it in as well, we might be encouraging them to get too intimate…moreTim, I got this. It is simply too much for the middle aged viewers to read. If we left it in as well, we might be encouraging them to get too intimate at an early age. Tim and I decided on this mutually and enjoyed the process on making the novel. Thank you for the question! (less)

Nomes
Tim Pegler is some sort of plotting genius. He has two timelines, Dan's present day holiday at the island (which also includes flashbacks to his life before the accident) and the second story of the people who lived at the light house which is unveiled through the light house log and some research at a local museum.

The pacing is so well done that everything unfolds brilliantly, always leaving more mystery and secrets for the reader - the whole mass of story and emotions and mystery is all explo
Sue Bursztynski
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this because the author is one of three coming to my school next week and I have to say I'm now looking forward to the visit. It's a mix of ghost story, murder mystery (150 years old murder mystery, that is), teen angst and plain old-fashioned holiday mystery of the kind where the kid goes on a holiday he doesn't want to go on and has an adventure that makes him glad he went. Throughout the book, the reader is gradually introduced to Dan's own mystery - what really happened the night of t ...more
Isamlq
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Haunting… that’s what ties the two stories together. Where on the one hand, there’s Dan struggling with just going on, eaten up both by what’s said but more so by what’s left unsaid. Then on the other, a story of people making do and later doing a most incomprehensible thing... and that would be Lily’s story.

Interesting story, if you look at all the individual elements. There’s Dan and Pip, and how he sees what’s there and what could be. It’s a sweet addition to what’s over all a mish mash of so
Mari
description

idk 1.5 i guess.

at last the day has come for me to use the words "stilted dialogue" in a review. seriously:
'Hey Dan. Did I wake you?'
'Nah. Didn't sleep much. How about you?'
'Not too bad. Once Mel shut up.'
'Yeah, she goes on a bit. Umm, you going back to bed?'
'I was going to read for a bit. Why?'
'I, err, you didn't see any...anything odd last night did you?'
(btw, if you're picking this book up, you better get used to those "umm"s, "err"s, and ellipsis(es?), cause they ain't leaving.)

i liked the (
Adam Scullin
I don't really want to write too much about Five Parts Dead, since it was a book I read for school and I'm about to spend an entire term studying it. What I will say is that it was much better than everyone made it out to be. I actually enjoyed this book. There were brief glimpses of an incredible book, and they were what kept me reading for long periods of time, rather than the chapter-a-day scheme I had in mind (or the Don't-Read-It-At-All scheme I had originally planned). The subject of death ...more
♥ C.A.Anna ♥
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The detail will leave you breathless, this story will make you think twice and the horror of it all will make you turn, page after page, waiting to find out the truth.

This is one story i will truely cherrish. I loved it. Not only did it hold a mystery to it but the horrific detail is...gut wrenching. I cried at one point in the book which im sure will pull the strings on the hearts of the people who read it.

This book, i would deffinatly recomend it. I loved it through an through. Im sure everyon
Landon
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five parts I really liked this book it pulls in from the beginning to end.
Ron
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
I recently read a reference anthology of ghost stories from the past two centuries, an experience which helped me to see how difficult it is to write a ghost story that is actually scary. Or find one to read, for that matter. The general template for a ghost story is: uncover rumours of dastardly deeds; have narrator show disbelief that the ghost could possibly be a ghost; compose spine tingling scenes where the ghost makes a personal and inevitably corny appearance (or sequence of increasingly ...more
Zawhtut
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dan ဆိုတဲေကာငေလးတစေယာကရဲ အေၾကာငးကိုေရးထားတာပါ။ သူ မွာအမာညီအမ ျဖစတဲ Mel ဆိုတာရွိတယ။ အမာသာဆိုရတယ သူ ညီမကအျမဲကံေကာငးတတျပီး အဆိုးမွနသမွသူ ဘကမွာခညးပဲ။
ီDan ဟာသူ ရဲ ဘ၀ကိုသူ ညီမနဲ ယွဥျပီးအဆိုးျမငေနတတသူပါ။ Dan ဟာကံဆိုးမိုးေမွာငစြာနဲ ပဲ ယာဥတိုကမွု
တစခုၾကံဳေတြ ခဲရပါတယ။ Dan ရဲ ေျခေထာကကိဳးသြားျပီး သူ ရဲ အဆိုးျမငတဲစိတကပိုပိုဆိုးလာခဲပါတယ။
ဒီလိုနဲ Dan တို ရဲ မိသားစုဟာကြနးေလးတစကြနးကိုေပာပြဲစားထြကၾကပါတယ။ အဲဒီကြနးကသူတို ေနတဲ ဘနဂလို အိမမွာ သရဲမတစေယာကရွိတာကို Dan သိလာပါတယ။ ဒီလိုနဲ ဟိုဟိုဒီဒီသြားၾကညရာက ေမွာစင
တစခုကို Da
Domenica
Apr 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-a-fan
This book should've been good. But it was unfortunately very dull, at least in my opinion. The novel is supposed to be about how a boy who has come very close to death a few times, connects with the spirit world, particularly a girl featured in a lighthouse log book from a long time ago. But the spirit world isn't often seen. It's mostly just the main character reading the log book (the content of which is actually interesting, but was largely inspired from an existing log book. the most interes ...more
Jen
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: class-novels
I could call it interesting... a different type to what I normally read.
It was actually better than I'd thought. I especially liked the descriptions that were used.

But a lot of the times, the book wandered off aimlessly, like the main character himself.
And while depth is good, sometimes the story got a little too deep, in terms of the characters' reflections and thoughts about certain events.
It took me some time to capture the key ideas and themes... and answers to why things were that way in
Rachel
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is a rather interesting book. I remember when Tim Pegler came to my school and I asked him: "How would you describe your book?"
Interestingly, he answered: "Pizza".
Oh. Fun.
I actually enjoyed reading this book--not sarcastically. It has twists and turns, cliffhangers, and things that reflect my life. Sort of.

Some people argue that it has too much cliche. I agree, but that doesn't affect my feeling for this book.

If you want to read it, go ahead.
Chantal
Great Australian teen fiction. Set in South Australia, deals with issues of peer pressure, drink driving and the consequences; and even throws in a touch of historical fiction, murder and the paranormal...and then of course, these are all tied together by friend and family relationships!
Quirky, interesting, even a bit gruesome and a great option for reluctant teen readers.
Mari
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Jack A
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
very compelling book
Josephine
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The storyline was satisfactory, I was more interested in the second story, as in the log books in their house.
Jane Warne
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
An exciting read which transported me to another world. I loved the protagonist' attitude and language. It was funny, moving and took me back to adolescence.
Mark Gee
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-young-people
Great read. Well-written - characters, plot lines etc.
Nhan
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book had a weak plot and ending.
Lillian Watt
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
this book is horrid, wHY WAS IT EVEN PUBLISHED
Christina Trotter
Great read. Really made you think about life and how a flip of a coin can change your life in an instant
Kiran
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
In my opinion this book was quite interesting, the themes expressed in this book were exciting
Trisha
Aug 05, 2011 added it
tight & authentic
Joel
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tim's a friend, so I'm biased, but I really liked this YA novel. Made me want to write a story for teens. The beer bottle in the head scene is a gruesome favourite.
Louisa
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Didn't capture my attention, and not my type of book but overall, an interesting book.
Gezdawg
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
it was quite a enjoyable book and it had a good story line
Megan
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
A very entertaining book, however in places I found it a bit bland. Loved the ending though!!
Hasan
  • Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Everything Beautiful
  • Beatle Meets Destiny
  • Saltwater Moons
  • This is Shyness (This is Shyness, #1)
  • Alaska
Tim Pegler is a Melbourne-based journalist and YA fiction author. His novels to date are strongly influenced by his time covering crime and social inequity issues as a journalist.

Tim's first novel, Game as Ned, was a Children's Book Council of Australia notable book in 2008. Five Parts Dead was released to critical acclaim in 2010.