Start by marking “Another Dawn” as Want to Read:
Another Dawn

Another Dawn

(Tomorrow's Promise Collection #4)

Grace Graham is back in Tennessee with her four-year-old son on a short unpaid leave from work, helping her father recover from surgery and spending time with her sister. Shoal Creek seems more backward than ever after her years in California, and it's hard to find organic food anywhere.

When the unthinkable happens and her son is diagnosed with measles, Grace's fears over
Published February 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Another Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Dawn

Edwina Cowgill
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
As children, my sister and I took all our vaccinations. No questions asked. When our children were little, they received all their vaccinations. No questions asked. We didn’t know any better. Since reading Another Dawn I realize there is a serious health risk for children who take vaccinations. It has been shown that the MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccine can cause autism in some children. With the wealth of information about this subject found in Another Dawn, it is apparent Author Kathry ...more
Traci
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a well-written story about the controversial subject of vaccines. Cushman handled the subject well, giving views from both sides of the issue.
Bonnie
May 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
In Another Dawn, Cushman deals with a very controversial subject – childhood vaccines. Many parents struggle with the decision of whether or not to vaccinate and most have very strong opinions about the safety of vaccinations. Some of these opinions are based on medical evidence others are based on real life experience and situational evidence but regardless of how the opinion is formed they are deeply personal. I really loved that this book brought another argument to the vaccination-debate tab ...more
Valerie Comer
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Grace Graham has more problems than most people I know. A young single mother living in California, far from her family, she struggles to make the right decisions for her four-year-old son. Her first decision had been not to vaccinate Dylan, because her friend and employer’s son had become autistic within days of his MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) shot as a toddler, and she’d found a lot of information on the internet that corroborated the story.

Another of Grace’s problems is running when thi
Katie
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read with a powerful, controversial subject woven into its pages, Another Dawn will warm your heart. Always seeming to be running from her troubles, Grace packs up her bags and leaves a broken relationship and strained friendship behind to journey back home and care for her father after he has surgery. Her sister, Jana, gives her little choice in the matter, so Grace sucks up and goes to help a father she can’t stand to even be around. Her anger against him is long-standing – she blames ...more
Tammi
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kathryn Cushman has written a wonderful story that explores how choices can affect more than the person who has made them.

After Grace was hired as office manager at the Blue Pacific Bed and Breakfast in Ventura, California. She became friends with the owners daughter, and her boss, Jasmine, and Collin, her son, who has been diagnosed with autism. Jasmine believes the autism is a result of the MMR vaccination. Grace who was expecting her son, Dylan, at the time, began to think about him and what
Cynthia
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it

Grace Graham has never stood and faced the challenges before her. She usually turns and runs away. Suddenly, she's faced with challenges in every direction and there is no where to run. Her job, romantic relationship, family relationships, and more are on the line. What's a woman to do?

That is the general outline for Another Dawn by Kathryn Cushman. I was interested enough and thought it would be an enjoyable read. I was expecting the typical Christian romance novel. A few chapters in, I was di
Wanda
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simply stated, Another Dawn is a great book. As the story unfolds you find that Grace Graham has made a lot of choices that she regrets, and is beginning to realize that she needs to deal with issues from her past. These choices include relationships with her family as well as personal decisions. The story line about the childhood vaccination controversy comes to life in a very real way when placed in the context of everyday situations. By viewing Grace’s actions and the consequences they bring, ...more
Carly
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-favorites
I have been a loyal reader of Katie Cushman’s books for a while now and I have always liked them. I like her stories, especially the medical aspect she likes to include in a lot of her books. Her writing has always been excellent, especially her skill in creating tension.

I have noticed a trend with Katie’s books. They seem to be getting better with each one, a lot better. They have always been really good, but I seem to like each book better than the last. Another Dawn is one of the best books
Abbie Riddle
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Reading the back of the book does not even hint at the true topic of this book. I found this to be difficult to read as it is a topic that is close to home for myself.

Grace Graham is known for running every time life gets a little difficult. She would rather relocate than face those things that make her uncomfortable. This has caused her to be estranged from her family after her mother's death. After be called out on this by her sister she agrees to come home with her son Dylan to take care of h
Casey
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I know it’s a good book when I read it in one afternoon. I started “Another Dawn” mid-afternoon and finished it that night.

I thought this book had an interesting premise. A mother, who refused the vaccinations for his son, is faced with what her choice could possibly have done to her hometown. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started reading. I stand on the opposite side of the vaccine debate- the side of Grace. Would the novel preach an agenda? And just how would this tie into a plot line?

I
Coranne
Jul 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Grace was "bullied" into a group of moms in California into not getting her child vaccinated. These moms, curiously enough, are moms who have autistic children. So the story progresses and her son contracts measles- and then passes it to the entire town- which is bad b/c measles can be deadly for babies. Grace is put through the ringer by the entire town by for being so "stupid" for not vaccinating her child- she apparently didn't think about the "consequences."

This was a very engaging story. As
Shellie Neumeier
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Grace Graham runs when life gets tough. She runs from home when her mother dies, she runs from her job when she’s the cause of a failed business deal, and she runs from conventional immunizations when she hears mixed reports regarding their safety. But when her son Dylan contracts a disease that puts the lives of several small children at risk she must choose between her inclination to run from the social pressure she’s under and her responsibility to see her commitment through.

Kathryn Cushman d
April
(RATING:4.5)ANOTHER DAWN by Kathryn Cushman is an interesting inspirational contemporary fiction set in present day Pacific Coast area.This is a story of dare consequences,autism,forgiveness,faith,second chances,healing,and speaks on the serious consequences of not vaccinating your children. This is the story of Grace,her family,her four year old son,Dylan,and how one decision effects the people around you.You can't help but find yourself caught in the family drama,the healing of this family,and ...more
Paula-O
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another Dawn by Kathryn Cushman

This story is about a young woman named Grace who has a little boy whom she loves and tries to be the "best Mommy". When he was born she chose not to do immunizations, wanting to not put chemicals into his body. She chose organic foods and they ate healthy.
Grace blames her dad for her mom's death because he smoked and she died from lung cancer. there is a rift that needs work between them. she moved away from home and started her career hardly ever looking back.
our
Lyndi
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
MARGO
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book brought forth quite a mixed bag of emotions for me. I was so very angry at the main character, Grace who thinks she is doing so well at being a Mother. She does not let her son have anything but organic food and does not allow hot dogs, hamburgers or any other foods kids enjoy as an occasional treat. She also decided not to vaccinate him because some people she knew, who were not professionals of any kind, told her that the MMR vaccine caused autism in children. She did not bother to f ...more
Valerie Dykstra
Another Dawn by Kathryn Cushman is about a single mother, Grace, who decides not to vaccinate her son and when she travels to visit her family, the son becomes ill with measles. Unfortunately he infects the church nursery before his symptoms surface.

This story was well balanced in showing the pros and cons of immunization. The author's medical background was obvious. It's a good story about a bitter woman coming to the end of her own self-righteousness and seeing how she was the proverbial pot c
Ann
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Grace Graham has spent years running from tough situations--until the day her sister calls with a plea for help with their widowed father. Given no choice, Grace and her four-year-old son leave their California home for Shoal Creek. Tennessee.
Grace plans to do the minimum asked of her, then leave as quickly as possible. But she didn't anticipate the events that would conspire to hold her in Tennessee. Decisions she made in years past put the life of her son and other children in danger, and she
Janet
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Signs of a good book- they make you laugh, they make you cry and they make you think. All these were accomplished in this book.
My only question,and it is a question as it has been a long time since I have had a 4 year old, is could he really of thought and said all the things that he did. Should the boy have been a little older?

This is a story of a mom who decides not to vacinate her son, unbeknowst to her he comes in contact with someone with the measles. He then gets the measles and passes it
Irene
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grace Graham has a hard time facing up to reality. Her sister Jana, wants her to come to Shoal Creek, Tennessee to help their father recover from surgery and maybe mend a few fences. With her four year old son, Dylan she finds that life in Shoal Creek seems more backward than ever.
Then her son is diagnosed with measles, and Grace's fears over modern medicine takes a dangerous turn. The whole town is forced into quarantine and the locals focus the blame and their anger on Grace.
Grace feels alone
Sara
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this was well written and interesting BUT it really started driving me crazy after a while with all the preachy vax are bad stuff. I don't being whipped with a hammer and I think it was a little over done. I also didn't connect well with the main character as I found her annoying. Anyway, I don't know if I'd read more from this author as I don't need a lecture every time I pick up a book.
Malyn
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
In the beginning, I had a really hard time connecting to the main character. I didn't like her or her parenting style. As the book went on it seemed to teach me about how judgmental people can be on certain subjects. Maybe this is what the author was going for? I'm not sure. In the end I still didn't like the main character, but understood where she was coming from. Any book that can teach me how to better myself is worth reading.
Kat
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Trish Boese
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, fiction
5* One woman, influenced by friends with autistic children, makes a choice to not vaccinate her son. Her decision ends up affecting an entire community when her son is the cause of a measles outbreak among babies too young to be vaccinated. The story is thoughtful and realistic, and the reader is allowed to be on either side of the issue. The moral of the story is not which stand is right, but in accepting that either way, the choices we make affect not only ourselves, but others.
Victoria Kator
i like her writing and her plots. great characters that you can love and become frustrated with. i was totally not expecting the whole cdc scenario to happen though, i was totally caught off guard by that situation but it defintiely makes you think about what you would do. a pretty plausible and real storyline.
Joan
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good. It is written as fiction, but is based on the idea that a woman chose NOT to give her child a vaccine for Measles. It gives differing opinions on this choice and the results of one. It asks the question what you might do under these circumstances. I did enjoy reading this and it gave much food for thought.
Carissa
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a book that made you look at both sides of an issue. I don't have children and I've not given much thought to vaccinations. I've heard discussions about effects of vaccinations but this book gave me more to think about, especially with measles.
Denise
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I don't agree a lot with the main character as she seems a bit wish washy. But I think her character develops a lot during the book. The topic of vaccination makes it a relevant book for today's readers.
Donna Kale
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Awaken My Heart
  • Song of the Brokenhearted
  • Breach of Promise
  • House of Secrets
  • Courting Miss Amsel (Heart of the Prairie #6)
  • Softly and Tenderly (Songbird, #2)
  • The Reluctant Prophet (The Reluctant Prophet, #1)
  • Beneath the Night Tree (Threads of Change #3)
  • Come Spring
  • Grace at Low Tide
  • Angels in the Snow
  • Restorations (Oregon In Love, #1)
  • Echoes of Titanic
  • Tea for Two (Tea with Millicent)
  • Need You Now
  • If I Gained the World (Second Chances Collection, #4)
  • The Mother Road
  • Beyond the Storm (Quilts of Love, #1)
Author Kathryn "Katie" Cushman is a graduate of Samford University with a degree in pharmacy.

She is the author of five novels, including Leaving Yesterday and A Promise to Remember, which were both finalists for the Carol Award in Women's Fiction.

She is also the co-author of Angel Song with Sheila Walsh.

Kathryn and her family currently live in Santa Barbara, California.

Visit her Web site at ww

Tomorrow's Promise Collection (6 books)
  • A Promise to Remember
  • Waiting for Daybreak
  • Leaving Yesterday
  • Almost Amish
  • Chasing Hope
“And it always will be this side of heaven. What I’m saying is, He’s the One, the only One, you can rely on. Not yourself. Not whether you stay here now or get on back. Not any lifestyle you might choose, no matter how healthy you may believe it is. If you don’t learn to trust the One who created it all, then nothing else really matters. You give that some thought.” She” 1 likes