Start by marking “101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook” as Want to Read:
101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook

101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook

Pssst! Want to know a secret? "101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids: The Ultimate Handbook "is a must-read for gifted kids ages 8 to 12 who want to find success in school and life. If you're a gifted kid or you know gifted kids, you need the 101 awesome secrets, tips, and tricks included in this book!

Chock full of fun suggestions and practical strategies, "101 Success Secre
175 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Prufrock Press (first published March 15th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook

Julie Butcher
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This won’t be a normal review. It is a record of Ms. Fonesca’s book in a trial situation with three of my gifted children. A girl age 11, a boy age 13, and a girl age 14.
On first impression each child was impressed with the layout of the book and the easy way they found sections turning the book sidewise and thumbing the pages. I asked them to take the book in their backpack to school and to see if it helped when there was a problem or a situation that made them feel frustrated.
Each child had be
Jen
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any gifted kid or anyone raising/teaching a gifted kid
Loved this book. Well-written and easily accessible to parents and kids alike. So as to not repeat myself ad nauseum, I have a full review on my blog: Laughing at Chaos
K.L. Lantz
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this with my son about a year ago (age 9 to 10) and have so much enjoyed the one-on-one time discussing it with him. There are exercises at the end of each chapter, and plenty of opportunities to share personal experiences with each other that apply to each success secret. I would read this again with my other gifted kids. I love how it's helped my oldest son settle down in the perfectionism department, find healthy outlets for anxiety, and feel good about his place in our fami ...more
Kara Skye
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gifted children 'labeled' in school as gifted
This handbook for the gifted child - and parents of gifted children - is like having a terrific guidebook while visiting Paris. Sure you could get through Paris without it – and obviously have a really great time although randomly. With it, however, you have the ability to make great choices, get the most out of the visit – as well as understand those down moments like knowing when you've gotten 'lost' and finding – more easily – your way back to where it is you want to go. It lessens the burden ...more
Danyelle Leafty
Jul 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshelf-2011
101 Success Secrets
Christine Fonseca
189 pages
giftedness/nonfiction
Review copy from publisher

Okay. How to put into words the awesomeness that is this book.

First off, while the target audience is kids that have been identified as gifted, this book is applicable to so many more people--both kids and adults.

The format is fun and highly interactive. There are words of wisdom from gifted kids sprinkled through out, and the sections are short and snappy. At the end of every chapter is a Parents Sound
Allison Lupton
Fonseca, C. (2011). 101 success secrets for gifted kids: The ultimate handbook. Woodway, TX: Prufrock Press.
Reviewed By: Allison Lupton
Reference Type: Handbook
Reading Level: 5th- 8th
Call Number: 155.45
Cost: $12.76
Description: This handbook is a great resource for any student labled “gifted” as it offers information in a way that is easy to read and understand. It also offers advice and tips for students that are always pushing themselves to do better.
Relevance/Relationship: Our school collectio
Lbaker
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I entered the draw for this book although my children - both gifted are older than the 8 - 12 year old recommended age.

As I read parts about the ups and downs, the pressure, the anger, the "I'm not really smart, I can't be I don't get this!" I was so glad that my daughters are older. However, so much still applies and can be used for my 17 year old who still struggles sometimes; don't we all?

This book is laid out in a very straight forward manner, easy to find things.

I will probably be donating
Jodi Boulier
Jul 05, 2011 marked it as to-read
Being gifted is special and I found a lot of great advice in Christine's book. Working with children on this level is new to me and I just got my CNA license and was assigned to a in home health care center with children who are gifted. I am very lucky I won the book and am using it and sharing it with my co workers who are teaching me things that should be easy. But they aren't. Christine puts a great overview on the subjects from 1 to 101 in each category. I haven't read it all but have read m ...more
Medeia Sharif
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Christine Fonseca does it again in her second book about giftedness. This book is full of advice and tips for gifted students on how to deal with stress, get along with others, and avoid the trap of perfectionism. It seems like no stone is left unturned as the author covers every facet of a gifted child’s life. The book is easy to read and is organized into sections regarding school, friends, and family. Also, there are quizzes and tip sheets that are beneficial to young readers.
Arianne
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up for my son. We are having the discussion about intensity within our household, and I am trying to find some strategies to help him understand himself and how to succeed in life. It is a quick read (for me), and actually, I picked up quite a few strategies that I will try within my own life. Fingers crossed that my son agrees.
Jen Bury
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This seems like it has good tips for all kids. Also, from this book, it seems the difference between gifted and Asperger's is having imagination :) Good ideas to store away for raising any child!
Shannon Baas
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very good book. I am going to school to get my elementary ed degree and will be holding on to this for the future.
Nisa
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! These success secrets aren't just for gifted kids, though especially for them, they can be life-changing for adults and children alike. I highly recommend this book.
Jehnie
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It has good suggestions but is geared toward a middle school student. We're not there yet.
American Mensa
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
“101 Success Secrets For Gifted Kids” deserves a 4 star rating. It’s not very original in its advice as all books on the subject tend to be, however it could help some people out. “101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids” is definitely a useful book to read, but I found the information pretty redundant in application to myself. This book covers stress management, dealing with expectations, anxiety, bullying, and friendship troubles, with advice from gifted children themselves and it’s just what it s ...more
Jessica
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book! Lent to me by my son’s gifted teacher. I had planned to read it myself but have now been sharing some of it with my gifted son as there as good coping strategies and little quizzes in there that draw attention to the things that make him unique (& show him how to work on things like emotions, not taking blame or responsibility, etc.). It’s really helpful as a parent bc I didn’t know some of these things were gifted traits!
Sam Lantz
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is helping me to make my life better. It sounds just like the title. Inside there is 101 success secrets for kids. It talks about being a gifted kid. How hard it is to be one. And it helped support me with my life. At the end of each chapter, there is some questions to answer. It was a great experience for me to read this book. There is a reason that I rated this book five stars. It is because it was awsome!
Liz Carr
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written for gifted kids, this book analyzes the non-academic aspects of what it means to be gifted: anxiety, relationships, stress, finding balance, perfectionism, asynchrony, and general social-emotional health. It's terrifically accessible with interactive exercises, success strategies from other gifted kids, and voices of parents and teachers. While my middle schoolers may find it a bit basic, it's perfect for upper elementary students and even sixth graders.
Sandi
Jun 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected

This book was not really secrets but general hints for kids. It had some basic ideas but not too helpful.
Simone
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written by a school psychologist, this book is geared towards school kids and not homeschoolers, but the little tidbits of advice are spot-on and to the point. Very helpful resource.
Lynn
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
My gifted class read this last year, and we all hated it. Nothing was realistic or pertained to us as gifted individuals. If you're looking for a book about gifted kids, find a better one than this!
Amy Reesor
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fonseca, C. (2011). 101 success secrets for gifted kids: The ultimate handbook. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.

Citation by: Amy Reesor

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: Ref 155.455 Fon

Content/Scope: A handbook targeting students in grades 4-8 who are labeled as gifted learners. Tips are provided using firsthand accounts and advice on a wide range of topics such as bullying, stress, mutual respect, homework, self-esteem, and social interactions with peers and family.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: Prufr
Katheryn Campbell

Citation by: Katheryn Campbell

Reference Type: Handbook

Content/Scope: This is a handbook specifically targeting students who are labeled, "Gifted and Talented" in schools or high performing students. It offers secrets, tips, tricks and advice on how to find success in school and life.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: I have seen nothing by positive reviews about the author of this book, Christine F
Traci Barger
Apr 26, 2015 marked it as to-read
Fonseca, C. (2011). 101 Success secrets for gifted kids: The ultimate handbook. Waco, TX: Prufrock Press.

Citation by: Traci Barger

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: 155.45

ISBN: 9781593635442

Brief Description: The handbook offers gifted children 101 strategies to help them succeed in school and deal with some of the challenges they might face.

Content/Scope: The purpose of this book is to provide secrets, tips and tricks for gifted students to tackle challenges in school and learning. The tar
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
I found this book redundant and at times, generic. The first couple of chapters are good for opening a dialogue with your child about what it means to be gifted, but the last several chapters are pretty much general life advice which could be given to any kid of any age, and there is nothing in it that pertains directly to gifted kids versus all kids. I was disappointed.
Deanna Macri
David Sebek
Mar 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Q&A with Christin...: Self-Help Books for Kids 1 5 Sep 16, 2012 04:46PM
Award-winning and critically-acclaimed author of fiction and non-fiction. Lover of books, lattes, and family. Passionate about humanity. Critically-acclaimed titles include Transcend, The Requiem Series, and The Solomon Experiment series, and Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students, second edition.

When Christine isn’t writing a book, she can be found sipping too many skinny vanilla lattes next to a