Start by marking “The Big Lebowski” as Want to Read:
The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski begins with a case of mistaken identity which escalates when Jeffrey Lebowski-alias The Dude-attempts to seek recompense for the despoliation of his ratty-ass little rug, and then finds himself entangled in a kidnapping caper as a bagman-a situation that goes from bad to worse due to the interference of his hapless bowling partners.

In this film the Coen br
Published April 20th 1998 by Faber Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Big Lebowski, please sign up.

Jokoloyo
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my first read of movie script books.

I expect the book contents are majority dialogues, but then there are some descriptions to substitute the movie visualization. I found the descriptions are plain and flat. The book lacks the movie visualizations or showing the acts of the actors/actresses.

I found a scene toward the end of the book contains additional dialogues that I don't remember exist in the movie (at least for the movie version that I watched).

In summary, this book is for movie's
Kevin
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, tv-movies
This was a great story and rewards multiple viewings and re-reads as something new springs to your attention.
Timmy Tiger
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Any actors worth their weight (in ability) should salivate over a Joel Coen script. The writing almost always comes first, and the dialogue is almost always outstanding.

TBL has some of the most re-quoted lines in modern film history. Just check out IMDB and Facebook to determine the extent of its continued enjoyment, some 15 years since its creation. (How many films of a similar ilk remain as beloved that many years after their release?) Writing is important!

This screenplay reads very well, and
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
BRILLIANT.
Realini
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Big Lebowsky, written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen

A different version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at:

- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... and http://realini.blogspot.ro/

To my great surprise, this stupendous comedy has not been included by The New York Times on its list of Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made.
But it is popular with the public:

- http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=tt...

This is the list of top rated films on IMDB.

Jeffrey Leon Bridges has what I thi
James
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The most enjoyable movie script ever!
Ilya
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: script
Greatest script ever? Absolutely genius.
Jack Herbert Christal Gattanella
One of the most helpful scripts I read when I was first making my attempts to be a screenwriter in my teens. Its so close to the film that you can see how important dialog is But how it's not something to be afraid of if the dialog is stylized, it can still have a realism to it.
Iam0815 claus
Dec 06, 2008 is currently reading it
doll shit off a man
Shyam Sundar
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wiser fella than m'self once said, The Big Lebowski isn't just a movie, it's a way of life.
Dana Jerman
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Skimming this again for the sake of the screenwriting class I'm about to take. Read it along with the movie, and that's a great exercise if you enjoy movies or plan on writing a screenplay.
Alison
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this screenplay except that it is the one script I could read and movie I could watch OVER and OVER and OVER again and still laugh my head off.

The Dude abides.
Juan Espinoza
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Uno de los mas divertidos guiones que he leído. Tiene una vida propia, independiente de la película.
Sharon
Nov 03, 2009 marked it as to-read
One of my all time favorite movies... I need to read this.
Ken French
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I wouldn't change a word of this.
Ryan Thomas
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Was curious to see how this translated to film. As a fellow screenwriter I most certainly appreciate Joel Coen's script.
Jkupfer311

• Taxi Driver
  • Stanley Kubrick: Interviews
  • North by Northwest
  • The Apocalypse Now Book
  • Almost Famous (Screenplays)
  • Women in Film Noir
  • He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown
  • Seeing Is Believing: Or How Hollywood Taught Us to Stop Worrying and Love the '50s
  • The Film That Changed My Life: 30 Directors on Their Epiphanies in the Dark
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, known together professionally as the Coen brothers, are four-time Academy Award winning American filmmakers. For more than twenty years, the pair have written and directed numerous successful films, ranging from screwball comedies (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Raising Arizona, The Hudsucker Proxy) to film noir (Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, The Man Who Wasn't There, No ...more