Start by marking “The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson, #3)

The Messiah Secret (Chris Bronson #3)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  1,050 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
SOME SECRETS ARE TOO GREAT TO BE REVEALED. SOME LIES ARE TOO DANGEROUS TO BE DISCOVERED

Asked to help assess the contents of a lavish English estate, museum conservator Angela Lewis is surprised to discover an unopened crate full of sealed pottery jars. But what she discovers, within one of the jars shocks her; a parchment with writing by a noted first-century Jewish scho
Mass Market Paperback, 462 pages
Published December 7th 2010 by Signet (first published June 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Messiah Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messiah Secret

Macready12
Aug 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
God-weepingly awful. Nepotism alive and well in the publishing world it seems, there can be no other explanation as to why a tree suffered the indignity of being pulped into this brain melting offal.
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Becker does it again with a great novel, full of adventure, some drama, many great action scenes and the mandetory religious relic that could blow the top off Christianity if it is discovered. He takes us on more adventures and keeps the book flowing from the preface all the way through to the last scream. I have come to thoroughly enjoy Becker's work, even though some would rather criticise its lack of a literary foundation. Are books sometimes not meant to simply entertain? If not, why do we h ...more
Brittney Rz.
The Messiah Secret is an adventure novel where the characters are out to find an artifact from history that could change how religion is perceived. Generally these novels are about hunting down something that can completely change how a historical figure or time in history is seen and understood. This novel was no different. Angela and her ex-husband Bronson go on a chase through Egypt to find what they at first believe is the Ark of Covenant. They are trailed by a religious leader and a greedy ...more
Abby Vandiver
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
محمد على عطية
ربما كانت احدى مشاكلي مع هذه الرواية هي أن أول رواية قرأتها من هذه النوعية هي شفرة دافنشي...نفس المشكلة قابلتني عندما قرأت لبول سوسمان بعد هذا ثم هذه المرة عندما قرأت لجيمس بيكر....و شتان ما بين حبكة دان براون و قدرته على الإثارة و التشويق و سوق المعلومات و بين الروائيين الآخرين...و بغض النظر عن الحبكة..فالرواية لا تخلو من الملل و الرتم البطيء و بعض التصرفات غير المنطقية...هذا غير أن عنوان الرواية كان كافياً ليوضح للقارىء أن الرواية تتعلق بالبحث عن جسد المسيح لا تابوت العهد كما فوجىء أبطال الروا ...more
Kay
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book - thriller with history involved - my favorite. Angela finds a parchment scrap and unwinds a whole mystery behind it. She and her ex-husband Chris go a mission to Egypt and then India to discover what the treasure really is. Very good ending. Especially loved the afterword by the author.
Helen Maltby
Quite good for this genre. Definitely what I would call holiday reading. The biggest problem was that the title gave away the big twist. The author was trying to through in a red herring but it didn't work.

Would like to read his previous two.
Ken
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
A pretty average book for the genre. I found it a little slow at points and the conclusions moving too fast for reality. But, that is pretty par for the course.
Dawn
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Gave up half way through. This book seemed like it was trying to be The Da Vinci Code, but I didn't care at all about the characters. I'm moving on to greener pastures.
Ron
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The secret is that Jesus survived the Crucifixion, went to India and continued to cure lepers and such for many more years. When he finally died, a band of his Indian followers buried the body in a secret place, a place, of course, that was revealed in a series of obscure and heavily "coded" messages, legends, documents spurious and sort of legit, which were hunted down and figured out by an eccentric Englishman, who hid the text of the most important document clues in his portraits (as the seem ...more
Cheryl Cheong
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This is the third book in the Chris Bronson series and I guess what annoys me the most in this series is how much they dont learn from their previous heroic feats. Yes, individual books can stand on its own but isn't it easier to sell the series if they are actually linked by something? The first book showed how easy it was to track specific searches online and pinpoint a location so Bronson and Angela were really careful about using pc shops and untraceable searches but in the second book onwar ...more
Larry Lange
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting story, but not the kind that will keep you at the edge of your seat. A lot going on, but the characters were not strong. Regardless, I will read the next one in the series.
Ryan Barretto
Engaging story, but there are some holes in the logistics towards the ending.

Also, as a hero, Chris Bronson was somewhat clueless - but then perhaps it's a trait created by the author.
Lynn
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good thriller. Repeats pattern of previous books in the series but it was still a good book.
Cheryl
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
In The Messiah Secret, Oliver Wendell-Carfax, who died while in the process of being robbed in his run down familial estate in the English countryside, leaves his houses’ contents to the British Museum. Angela Lewis is one of a team sent from the museum to appraise and pack those pieces that the museum will be interested in keeping. While there, she and her ex-husband, Detective Chris Bronson, who she’s still friends with and invited up for a visit, find a box with an itinerary and notes from O ...more
Jemsparkle bibliophile
Jul 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: black-listed
DON'T BOTHER READING. If you do wish to waste money, throw it in the trash can.

First reaction upon reaching the revelation: Seriously,dude. Seriously?!
It could have been a good book. It even started off well with its treasure hunt outlook and jet setting to other countries in the search for clues despite the obvious mishap on the author's part when he conveniently:

1) Forgot to give Chris Bronson the lead role (the meaning of protagonist,good sir, is to give him the LEAD! Not introduce his ex-wif
Pandu Nugroho
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
That Jesus Christ might have survived his crucifixion, gone to India, and might not look like as he is depicted nowadays. The myth goes on...

Based on the disputable works of Nikolai Notovich, Holger Kersten, and even Titus Flavius Josephus, James Becker authored a novel where 3/4 of the story kept us thinking of one treasure object, while only at the very last bit, it explained that we had been thinking of totally wrong kind of treasure/secret, in a rushed manner.

Nevertheless, I still quite like
Kristin Lundgren
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not bad - second book in a series (I think), but you don't have to know the first book at all. Standard issue artifact quest, and missing some of the deeper details in the book - he saves much of that for notes at the back. Just a little light for my tasre in these kinds of books, and would really give 3 /12 stars, but it wasn't bad - just took a lot of turns with no real reason behind some of the character's motivations. It lacked motive, besides what it was. That this museum worker and her cop ...more
Neil
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Chris Bronson series, and i have to say that for me it has been the weakest one so far. The plot starts off well, but then all types of unsavoury characters start to emerge. If I was Chris bronson's boss I would want to know where he is all of the time, as he doesn't seem to do any Police work and can jet off round the world at the drop of a hat. The author does try spinning a bit of a red herring, but the title of the book is a bit of a giveaway. I also found that a ...more
Margaret
Similar to Da Vinci Code - but he's a better writer than Dan Brown. Mildly interesting but huge suspension of disbelief required that a policeman and Museum-based archaeologist can drop everything and set off on an adventure trip around the world on 5 minutes notice. What are we paying these civil servants that they can afford it and their bosses don't care?
According to the adverts at the back of this book he seems to have written the same book 3 times over; which may be why it felt a little for
Donna Andrus
enjoyed it greatly. Did follow up with some of the author's note's at the end. Most were as he presented them, however the description of Jesus from the 'Acts of Paul and Thecla' are ascribed to Paul's physical appearance, not Jesus's. Which is not to say that I think Jesus was a blond blue eyed fellow. Honestly, I think his physical appearance is irrelevant. And I know this will get me lambasted by some, I also think his rising from the dead is a moot point. His whole life and words are what co ...more
Paul
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Most siblings if they won't be offended
Recommended to Paul by: sequel
I picked this up as the 3rd book in the "Chris Bronson" series. This series chronicles discoveries made by the lead character and his ex-wife. The discoveries all relate to mysteries held by the Catholic faith, but be forewarned they run COUNTER to the faith so you might be offended by them.

Fairly well-written. Characters and dialogue seem credible and natural enough. The author throws in a lot of history and geography, which I like (but I do not know how much of it is actually true though).
Jennie
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
There weren't really any characters I was completely invested in during this book. Props to not having the divorced main characters get back together, which seems to always happen in books like this. I found the different groups of characters a tad confusing, and I was so annoyed at the middle of the book when the Big Reveal wasn't actually revealed to us. Of course, the title of the book kind of explained it, but...

In any case, this was pretty standard for the genre and while I liked it, I wasn
Anne
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: thriller fans
This was not a bad book at all from the thriller standpoint. However from the content, it seemed like another "DaVinci Code" type thing to make Jesus into a mortal rather than God. That is the author's choice and I respect his beliefs, however, I do not stand by these premises of constantly trying to prove that Jesus was not Divine. I believe in the Bible and do not believe what he said but I guess authors with no or little faith will continue in their quest to deny Our Lord.
Tom Hill
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The plot was very interesting and really made you think. Unfortunately, I could not give it 5 stars because the plot is the only thing that carries the story. The characters are two dimensional, at best, and you find yourself not really caring much about them. I did enjoy the author's epilogue where he added some more facts and opinions on the topic. Makes you realize how sanitized religion can be.
Evelyn
Jul 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
There seemed to be an enormous amount of history and information related to geography, customs, archeology, etc that the author felt the reader should have access to. Unfortunately, the author choose to impart this knowledge through dialogue and attributed all this knowledge to Angela. Her dialogue sounded like excerpts from encyclopaedia. Not believable, and if there really exists a person who spouts facts and back stories like Angela in this book, I do not want to meet them.
Tommy
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book for all of the historical information that was included in the story. I also enjoyed the part which took place in Egypt, since I was familiar with most of the locations. As I have noticed in some of the books that I have read lately, some authors take great care in developing the story line but, then when the ending comes, it happens so quickly that the reader is left say, "what just happened?"
Miriam Williams
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really liked the intriguing first chapter. The author sets the characters up well; uses the technique of jumping from scene to scene between characters in chapters, but I couldn't say it was a page-turner. By the end, it's clear the author has an agenda, which is to disparage Christianity. He is a doubter and finds it necessary to add his own views in a short essay after the story. I probably won't read any of his other (2) novels as a result.
Christina
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting theories about the real historical Jesus and an exciting read, but the relationship between the two main characters (Bronson and Lewis) could have been explained better for those of us who hadn't read the previous books in the series and there was no chemistry between them even though they were supposedly in love. A bit too much 'info dumping' too, although in places I suppose it was necessary. All in all I enjoyed it though.
Stephen
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Some of the other Chris Bronson books have seemed to drag a bit, but this one was interesting from the start. It's not all action, it deals with a Biblical mystery and a lost treasure. There is the usual misdirect making you think they are after one treasure when another find is the true endgame. It is well written and holds the reader. Very Davinci Code in style and execution. LOVED IT.
  • The Tiger Warrior (Jack Howard, #4)
  • The Sacred Blood
  • The Templar Cross (Templar, #2)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones, #7)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • The Dead Sea Deception (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #1)
  • The Second Messiah
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Lost Temple
James Becker spent over twenty years in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air arm and served during Falklands War . Throughout his career he has been involved in covert operations in many of the world's hotspots; places like Yemen, Northern Ireland and Russia. He is an accomplished combat pistol shot and has an abiding interest in ancient and medieval history.
More about James Becker...

Chris Bronson (7 books)
  • The First Apostle (Chris Bronson, #1)
  • The Moses Stone (Chris Bronson, #2)
  • The Nosferatu Scroll (Chris Bronson, #4)
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Lost Testament (Chris Bronson, #6)
  • The Templar Heresy (Chris Bronson #7)
“monitors were shut down when the offices were closed.” 0 likes