Start by marking “Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in” as Want to Read:
Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in

Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  53,870 ratings  ·  1,584 reviews
The key text on problem-solving negotiation-updated and revised

Getting to Yes has helped millions of people learn a better way to negotiate. One of the primary business texts of the modern era, it is based on the work of the Harvard Negotiation Project, a group that deals with all levels of negotiation and conflict resolution.

Getting to Yes offers a proven, step-by-step
Paperback, Third edition, 240 pages
Published May 3rd 2011 by Penguin Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to Yes, please sign up.
Dheeraj Remella Hi there. I know it has been a while. But if you want the gist of it: http://www.pwsausa.org/wp-content/upl...

But reading the book in its entirety is…more

But reading the book in its entirety is an experience of its own. I am about to finish it up. BTW, I am not promoting the book or anything like that. I just really liked the examples that they work through for the various concepts they introduce.

Hope you find what you are looking for - Cheers.(less)

·  53,870 ratings  ·  1,584 reviews

Start your review of Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in
Pouting Always
The books okay I guess but a lot of the strategies are so intuitive and the writing wasn't the greatest. Again it's the same thing with all these business books where if you've read one the rest usually don't add anything new but if you haven't read any it could be insightful. These books are usually just useful for helping organize ones thoughts and realize things they couldn't other wise but you can achieve that with some quite thinking time also.

Bob Selden
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Getting to Yes” is the benchmark by which all other books on negotiating should be judged. Authors Fisher, Patton and Ury have penned a book that has become a classic in its class as their negotiating principles have been used and quoted again and again the world over.

“Getting to Yes” is quite deceptive at first – it seems a little light weight as it is so easy to read. In fact one could read it from cover to cover in half a day quite easily. Yet, the four principles outlined in their
Dolly
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: negotiators
I attended a class on International Negotiations at the Foreign Service Institute this week and we were assigned this book to read for the class. I thought the book was rather straightforward and I liked the anecdotes. Overall, I think it was a good selection for our class and helped to emphasize the points being taught. I doubt I will become a master negotiator, but I do see benefits from this book and class in my personal life.

Some of the lessons I learned in class include the following:

Chad Warner
This book is a very useful and detailed guide to negotiating for mutual gain. It’s a mix of theory, application, and examples. The advice is realistic; it says to be optimistic but aware of your limits. As a freelance web designer (OptimWise), I negotiate in sales and client relations. I’ve seen this book mentioned in magazines like Inc. and Entrepreneur, and a few business and sales books. I finally decided to read it when it was recommended on This Week in Web Design.

Main ideas
• Understand
Fiona
Bad news, everybody: I've turned into a bore. You can tell, because on my first weekend of No Work At All in about six weeks, here I am, reading a guide to negotiation, cover to cover. It's official: I now do CPD for fun. Would you want to talk to me at a party? I wouldn't.

Which is kind of a shame, because this is pretty good. Full of excellent advice, useful scripts and contingency plans. Anecdotes from everything between lease negotiations and the preparatory talks for the Law of the Sea
Roberto Suarez
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading "Getting to Yes", I realized the "bottom line" to negotiation is not the most effective approach to get to what everyone wants and its not to see the negotiation game as a win/lose experience, but a way to develop relationships. Similar to playing frisbee and the relationship of marriage, there are scenarios that have no place for win/lose negotiations because ultimately they will all end with lose/lose results. Individuals should focus, "To be better, the process must, of course, ...more
Mike
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by about a dozen friends, colleagues, and professors before I finally decided to read it. Getting to Yes was a good mix between text book technique and anecdotal evidence in negotiations. It taught me to separate the people from the problem and to strive toward common interests to create a win-win relationship instead of playing a game of positioning for a win-lose scenario. I definitely recommend it to anyone who works for a living, anyone who pays rent or a ...more
Katie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 for me. Why did I like Getting Past No better? I think it's because I've been told NO a lot more in my life. You want to join the varsity soccer team? No. You want us to hire you? No. You want affordable rent? No. There was a solid trend there for about 15 years.

There's plenty of applicable knowledge in Getting to Yes, but the authors even admit at the end of the book that you probably already knew it all: This is intended to be a framework to help you define and practice what you
Obsidian
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This one was pretty technical. The authors really break down the thought process of having a principled negotiation instead of trying to negotiate either "soft" or "hard." They provide a variety of examples/case studies that emphasize the point. Not going to lie, this was a bit dry, but very good book if you want to read more about different leadership styles.

"Getting to Yes" breaks down key concepts from the authors such as "Don't Bargain Over Positions," "Separate the People from the Problem"
Trevor
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I read this book years and years ago and then, recently, I was helping to write an article on Asia literacy and how this is treated in the Australian media and one of the things that struck me was how much was written about how Australia would benefit economically from a booming Asia, but how little was written about how Asia might benefit from having a relationship with Australia. One of the things this book tells you over and over again is that to really negotiate you need to spend at least as ...more
Tamara
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye-opening. Now, how do I rewrite all of my bad habits to take advantage of the knowledge in this book...?

Could help provide a foundation for the upcoming website redesign discussions.

Favorite Tips

Separate the people from the problem.
Focus on interests, not positions.
Generate a variety of possibilities before deciding what to do.
Insist that the result be based on some objective standard.

Where perceptions are inaccurate, you can look for ways to educate. If emotions run high, you can find
Kirtida Gautam
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chakra-3
I am researching for the Book 3 Yin Yang which is all about power, politics, and social influence. Therefore Getting to Yes was in my To-Read list for quite sometime now. But as I am preparing for an important upcoming negotiation, I decided to read it urgently and finished in 5 days. (which was not difficult considering it's one of the most interesting books I have read this year)

It's a must-read, and I mean MUST-READ book for any person who is dealing with any kind of negotiation-- which
James
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a better world, _Getting To Yes_ would be required reading in secondary school. Every page is full of wisdom and suggestions for handling interpersonal interactions — or negotiations, since most bidirectional communication is in some sense a negotiation.

As someone who negotiates professionally, I’ve found the philosophy of _Getting To Yes_ to be exactly in sync with my own style. I’ve given copies of the book to people whom I mentor and even to those with whom I negotiate.

The audio version
Peep Laja
Jun 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that want to improve on their negotiation skills
This is a book about negotiations. We negotiate almost every day, whether its about the idea you came up with at work, which movie to see in the cinema or convincing somebody to do something. For those who want deeper insights into the art of principal based negotiations, this is a gem. I have used the knowledge I gained consciously so many times. I often in the middle of negotiations find myself thinking of the principals I learned, and have used them very successfully. There is no need to ...more
Diego
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Class assigned. This book is essential reading for Negotiation skill. I will be referencing this often. You can fill the gaps on how you currently negotiate. It really should also be called how to execute democracy and diplomacy without alienating your positive relationships.

Side note, every poor tactic listed is what Trump claims is negotiating. He has no clue.
Mia
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe appropriate help for the person who has never really stopped to reflect on the efficacy of their current thinking or behavior when involved in conflict or negotiation. For readers who aren't starting from scratch when it comes to learning about mediation and negotiation, there are probably more nuanced and detailed instruction manuals out there.
Bartosz Majewski
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Great book about basics of negotiations. It's full of case studies and presents a basic framework for getting things done by focusing negotiators on the problem instead of one another. Highly recommended.
sevdah
As the author wrote towards the ending, "This book is about how to "win" that important game — how to achieve a better process for dealing with your differences.". Not about how to win an argument or any such thing. It makes no claim at introducing brand new ideas, but aims simply at organizing a lot of what you may already know are good or bad practices in negotiation, and structuring the reasons why they work - or don't. I walked out with 6 pages of notes, so for me it was worth it.
Vikas Agarwal
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with one course which i am doing on Coursera on negotiation and found it very useful. It gives you insight that how wrong i was in various negotiation. Obviously i need to practise these learnings in my daily life so i can be better negotiator.
Pap Lőrinc
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always seek the unfulfilled need behind the opponent's manifestation.
Jakub
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book shows you strategies that can be used during negotiations. Most of them are probably well known to you, but you couldn't name it. It's a good summary of tools that we have and that we should be aware of during negotiations. Tools used to enhance our ability to negotiate.

What I’ve missed in the book were examples of dialogue on which I can learn. Saying go try it does not make me know how I might react. I could practice negotiation, but it would be nice to have some test scenarios.
Sunny
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A excellent book about negotiation. There were 4 key rules of negotiaton that I remembered from this:
1. Separating People and Issues - Fisher and Ury's first principle is to separate the people from the issues. People tend to become personally involved with the issues and with their side's positions. And so they will tend to take responses to those issues and positions as personal attacks. Separating the people from the issues allows the parties to address the issues without damaging their
lavinia
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mba-related, growth
I really dislike these books that have a "self-help" feel to them. Then again, I had a negotiation course and, as it turns out, I really suck at negotiating, so I've decided to read this book before writing my final paper for the course. It was the first recommended book in the syllabus, so the concepts presented here go hand in hand with what I learned in classes.

This unfortunately means that I cannot separate the two, but at the same time I have no idea if it really helped reading it anyway.
Taka
Excellent Framework--

The framework of what the authors call "principled negotiation" is pretty much the same as the framework of "crucial conversations." It also meshes well with Dale Carnegie's framework of winning friends and influencing people and to some extent, Manuel J. Smith's Here Be Dragons and Stephen Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

It lays out a practical approach to negotiation based on independent standards of fairness. And to do this, you need to separate the
Hall's Bookshop
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lucas
This is an acknowledged classic in the literature of negotiation, though I am grateful that I read it on a Kindle, as being forced to see the title every time I picked it up to read it would, frankly, have been unbearable. It draws on a range of situations, backgrounds, and environments for its examples, meaning that it is more useful than its "Do YOU want to be a business executive?"-style title would suggest. For instance, one touchstone case is the United Nations Convention on the Law of the ...more
John
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John F Kennedy famously said in his 1961 Inaugural Address, "Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate." For most of us, negotiation is almost synonymous with fear. How do we move to a place of negotiating with confidence and peace? 'Getting to Yes' is as good a place to start that process as any I could imagine.

'Getting to Yes' was first published in 1981. In this, the third edition of this time tested book, the authors begin acknowledging the flattening of the
Charlene
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decision-making
I was shocked to see that this was first written in 1991. Not only is it relevant today, it is a far more balanced and fair approach to negotiating. No sensationalism. Simply good advice about how to think and talk to others when trying to compromise.
Sandro Mancuso
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good advices to any type of negotiations, including outside business environment.
Leona
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, leadership
Everything in life, can be a negotiation. This book gives a powerful lesson on staying focused on the issues rather than the positions.

Recommended for everyone. Easy to read.
Martha Bullen
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book on negotiating before, and am surprised by how much I enjoyed, learned and benefitted from reading Getting to Yes. A friend recommended that I read this because I was facing a difficult conversation at work, and I'm glad she did.

I thought the writing style might be academic, since the authors developed a course on principled negotiation which they teach at Harvard, but it's written in clear everyday language which anyone can apply, whether you're negotiating with a
Dich vu lam luan van tot nghiep dai hoc tai Luan Van 24 2 3 Oct 16, 2019 11:53PM
Required Reading in Divroce 1 9 Sep 05, 2016 04:11PM

• The Coming Jobs War
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
  • Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • Influencer : The Power to Change Anything
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Self Leadership
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • 10 Natural Laws of Successful Time and Life Management
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
Roger Fisher is the Samuel Williston Professor of Law Emeritus, Director of the Harvard Negotiation Project, and the founder of two consulting organizations devoted to strategic advice and negotiation training.