Start by marking “An Anthology of Twentieth-Century Brazilian Poetry” as Want to Read:
An Anthology of Twentieth-Century Brazilian Poetry

An Anthology of Twentieth-Century Brazilian Poetry

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A 25th anniversary edition of a book cited by Modern Language Journal as "notable for the original and interesting choice of poems and for the accuracy and poetic quality of the translations." Work by 14 Brazilian poets, including the late Joao Cabral de Melo Neto, is presented en face with translations by Elizabeth Bishop, Paul Blackburn, Ashley Brown, Jane Cooper, Richar ...more
Published December 1st 1997 by Wesleyan

Be the first to ask a question about An Anthology of Twentieth-Century Brazilian Poetry

Ben Loory
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
good stuff and bad stuff. nothing absolutely mind-blowing (maybe because it's in translation), but lots of good stuff. Joao Cabral de Melo Neto is obviously The Man.

my favorites:

The Enormous Hand
by Jorge de Lima

Inside the nighttime of the storm,
the mystery caravel goes there.
Time moves, and waters crest,
the wind weeps ugly loud.
The mystery caravel goes there.
Above this ship
what hand is that more huge
even than the sea?
time move
missy jean
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book has been a dream for me. It presents the original poems in Portuguese side-by-side with their English translations. Since I speak Portuguese as a second language (and since the formal language of poetry is so dramatically different than the spoken language of Brazil, as the introduction to this book acknowledges), I often have a hard time understanding poems in Portuguese as thoroughly as I would like to. But then English translations alone never resonate deeply enough for me. This col ...more
Asmaa
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is intellectually attractive from the first page. That's rare to say about poetry books. It's a bilingual Portuguese/English edition, whose translators are poets themselves; The Academy of American Poets sponsored the book. The informative introduction describes the history of Brazilian poetry. As the publication date is 1972, there should be somewhere another excellent anthology of later poetry. This one will continue to be a classic.
Hasan Makhzoum
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
"I would like my last poem thus
That it be gentle saying the simplest and least intended things
That it be ardent like a tearless sob
That it have the beauty of almost scentless flowers
The purity of the flame in which the most limpid diamonds are consumed
The passion of suicides who kill themselves without explanation." - Manuel Bandeira
Hannah
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
While I SHOULD be focusing my brain's microwaves on refreshing my French and German, I saw this and now I seem to be absorbing more Portuguese than appropriate considering how I need to learn more German for a trip in May. Oh well. Beautiful writing in this one, for sure.
Gerry LaFemina
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a terrific group of translators (Mark Strand, James Merrill, Bishop, James Wright, Jean Valentine, Jane Cooper among others) working with some of mid-century Brazil's best poets. They're not all gems, but still a delightful read.
Mckinley
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, bilingual
Nice. Always tricky to read translations, this has original with translation facing.
Sasha
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Two stars in English, four in Portugêse.
Kathryn
Jul 21, 2017
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Elizabeth Bishop and Emanuel Brasil's translations are shown along with the original Portugese so that readers can compare the words and rhymes. The introduction is very helpful in explaining that most of the poets in this collection are well known post World Warll until 1960s era poets. They offer a feel of the different styles and what the editors called the Brazilian wistful longing. It makes a good introduction to Brazil and Brazilian writers.
Cristina
Oralia
Nov 11, 2016
Raúl
Feb 12, 2016

Elizabeth Bishop was an American poet and writer from Worcester, Massachusetts. She was the Poet Laureate of the United States from 1949 to 1950, a Pulitzer Prize winner in 1956. and a National Book Award Winner for Poetry in 1970. She is considered one of the most importa
More about Elizabeth Bishop