Start by marking “The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery” as Want to Read:
The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery

The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  644 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This book takes the student on a journey through his own mind and returns him to the chess board with a wealth of new-found knowledge and the promise of a significant gain in strength. Most amateurs possess erroneous thinking processes that remain with them throughout their chess lives. These flaws in their mental armour result in stinging defeats and painful reversals. Bo ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Siles Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Amateur's Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amateur's Mind

Anthea Carson
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
For a review of this book I could say, "see my review of How to Reassess Your Chess: The Complete Chess Mastery Course since I talked mostly about this book in that review." But that's ok, I'll say more, because I could go on and on about this book. I never had so much fun reading a chess book in my life.

I read this book many years ago, and I bought thin flat metal chess board the size of a notebook page with flat magnetic pieces and played along with the games in the book, reading Jeremy's wit
Michael J.J. Tiffany
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Now you know how to play, you've picked up a few tactical tricks, maybe learned a few openings and common variations... what next? This book can teach anyone how to develop good plans in chess. It outlines a nice system for reading the board to develop strategic insights, so you can move beyond "OK I do this, then he does that, then I do this..." analysis. I think the author is unusually insightful about how the average player approaches the game and thinks about it; if you know you will read a ...more
Mark
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess, reviewed
I'm a casual player and don't study or practice ever. But I'm just interested enough to consider reading a book on chess from time to time. The Shredder app I have on my phone pegs me at 1450 Elo rating, and I'm probably at the bottom range of what level player might find this book useful.

I enjoyed the format where Silman annotates games against his students, including their thoughts on why moves were made, and his notes on these thoughts. A majority of the content relates to the middle game, an
Felix Hernandez
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is the definitive introduction to strategic chess, where the player goes beyond sheer tactics and calculation to build a more abstract understanding of the wonderful game of chess. Most examples come from games from amateurs, which makes them far more approachable to the average player. Silman's writing is very clear and entertaining, and his selection of material and exercises outstanding.
Kevin
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
How to control knights - take away their advanced posts.
How to use knights - give them advanced posts.
How to value knights v.s. bishops and use that imbalance to work for you. If you find yourself with a bishop difference, work to open the game and get passed pawns on both sides. If you find yourself with a knight, work to keep it closed, and get passed pawns on only one side, and work to give them an outpost.
Chip and Katie Moore
Apr 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chip
A modern chess classic, this book is a great primer for folks who want to go from just pushing wood to truly playing the game of chess.
Ben
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is easily my favorite chess book. It vastly improved my game.
Cory
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
You'll have to spend some time with this one, but it will well be worth it. I've spent months reading it, working fully through each diagram and taking notes, but no other book has helped my game this much. Put in the effort and you will be rewarded.
Gary
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great Chess Book! Silman is one of the Chess Authors that i can understand.
Murilo Andrade
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
Great book. A new classic.

Jeremy Silman is one of the best chess authors nowadays. In a great writing style and easy to follow, he dissects chess thinking as few. He introduces many chess concepts and, through the reasoning of amateur players ( based on his notes with amateur players thinking out loud), he shows how to avoid amateur thinking. This will improve your game drastically.

This book is all about imbalances. In each of the chapters, he describes an imbalance and, through examples, invi
  • My System
  • Logical Chess Move By Move: Every Move Explained New Algebraic Edition
  • Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • My 60 Memorable Games
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953
  • Modern Chess Openings (McKay Chess Library)
  • The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal