Start by marking “Coupe-gorge (Kathleen Mallory, #8)” as Want to Read:
Coupe-gorge (Kathleen Mallory, #8)

Coupe-gorge (Kathleen Mallory #8)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,955 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
Never has Mallory faced as many surprises as in the case before her now. It seems cut-and dried at first: a burglar has been caught in the act and killed by an ice pick-wielding homeowner. Except that the home owner turns out to be the most famous lost child in NYPD history, missing for almost sixty years, thought to have been kidnapped following the massacre of her family ...more
Published (first published September 1st 2004)

dara
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I used to love crime and mystery novels when I was a pre-teen. Carol O'Connell was one of my favorite authors. That time has passed and so maybe it's a bit unfair of me to even read and rate a novel that's part of a genre I already know I don't particularly enjoy anymore. But I did... so suck it.

Plot-wise there's a little too much going on in this one--too many "twists" making it seem more like a soap opera than a crime novel. Character-wise, I can see how the calculating, nearly emotionless Mal
A.M. Riley
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how Carol O'Connell gets away with it. Her principal character is an emotionally distant sociopath whom is almost impossible to love. And yet one does.

O'Connell breaks many of the rules my writing teachers pounded relentlessly into my head and I adore her for making it work. On occasion, it is a little tedious, figuring out where one is at as one carwheels through several pov's in one chapter. (I know, I know, imagine ME complaining about pov shifts!) The plots of these mysteries ar
Ava Parker
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, convoluted mystery. I had no idea who was to blame until the end. The story has an interesting cast of characters - Mallory is feline, feral, and single-minded, and I didn't always like her, but I don't think we're meant to always like her. The plot is rich with detail and family history and it's hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys because most characters seem to have a little of both in them. Pay attention! Every detail is important.
Michele bookloverforever
more about Kathy Mallory, a troubled and troubling main character.
Alli Bax
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the characters and the laugh-out-loud funnies, but there were a few unbelievable and confusing twists. I'm definitely an O'Connell fan, though, and will pick up other Mallory mysteries!
Keith
Jun 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good - but pretentious writing style would prevent me from picking up another one of her novels.
Jeff J.
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Mallory novel from Carol O'Connell. Mallory is one of the most intriguing heroines in fiction today.
Ton
O'Connell proza is definitely high quality, literature with a hint of poetic. That is rare for a crime story. So far so good. But we are talking thrillers and that is different from novels. It makes it a complicated reading. I did not feel pleased with it. Add to that the fact that I did not like the character of inspector Mallory and there we are: the first and at the same time the last Mallory I read.
Sherrill Watson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See Kae's review. It WAS difficult to keep track of so many characters and twists of plot; you almost have to read it twice, or at least go slowly; Mallory plays a minor part; but it IS worth reading.

You won't be disappointed in the ending -- the murderer[s?] are not who you think he / she / they are! P.S. "Winter House" is named for the Winters, so if you're hoping for a gothic novel -- nah -- this takes place in NYC. But like Kae says, Pay Attention!
Denise
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery was a good one, but it took me almost halfway into the book to get interested in it. There are too many twists and turns and the Mallory character was completely unlikable. I won't be reading another book from the series mainly because of the Mallory character's personality.
Sue Von Roedern
I am a real fan of Carol O,Connell but I found this Mallory segment uncomfortable to follow. Interesting story line but jumped around too much for me.
Doren Damico
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely characters and new mysteries. As always, Mallory's powerful character is touched by brilliance and madness simultaneously.
Bridget
Always a fast read
John Sheehan
The story was very convoluted, and I didn't like any of the characters. They were all rather unbelievable. When we finally got to solving the mystery, I had lost interest.
Annie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And on to the next Mallory book, ever searching for her heart...
Kim Shippey
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't see the ending coming.
Kae Cheatham
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Source: Library

Characters:Kathy Mallory – detective (series), detective partner Riker; business partner, savant Charles Butler; vic: Willy Roy Boyd; perp Nedda Winter, (Bitty Smyth, Cleo Smyth, Lionel Winter, Sheldon Smyth).

Plot: Mallory attends a crime scene--a burglar killed by old woman (Nedda). But the burglar is WRB, who Mallory incarcerated for serial killings. Although his trademark knife is strapped to his leg, and ice pick is found by his hand. Mallory is suspicious. The murder isn't wh
Susan
Winter House by Carol O'Connell is 8th in the Kathleen Mallory police procedural mystery series set in late-20th-century New York City. Winter House was the scene of a massacre 58 years ago, when most of the Winter family members were murdered in their home. Twelve-year-old Nedda Winter, aka 'Red Winter', disappeared on that day. Now she has returned, and is living in Winter House with siblings Lionel and Cleo, and her niece Bitty Smyth. When an intruder is killed at Winter House, Riker and Mall ...more
One Girl Collecting
Not my favorite Mallory book. Unfortunately, I intuited the killer once the character was introduced (rather early on in the book) so there wasn't a lot of suspense, nor did I find my curiosity peaked as to why this particular character would plot to kill. Most of the characters felt one dimensional, or I simply did not care about their background. The exceptions to this were Neda Winter and her niece. The attempt at making the house into another character in the book, fell short for me. Eventua ...more
Amanda Patterson
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol O'Connell and her heroine Kathy Mallory make a formidable team. Mallory has enthralled me ever since I read The Man who Lied to Women and my favourite, The Flight of the Stone Angel, is officially one of my top 26 books.

Mallory is on the trail of a serial killer who just happens to be murdered with an ice pick by 70 year old Nedda Winter. Nedda has been missing for 60 odd years, fleeing Winter House at the age of 12 when she found her family massacred by someone who also used an ice pick t
Susan
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win a copy of Winter House through Goodreads, and I am so glad that I did. This book was the first one that I have read by O'Connell, and I really enjoyed it. O'Connell delivered a good mystery that kept the reader guessing until the end. With so many twists and turns, it was hard to discover the truth about what happened at Winter House sixty years before. Mallory was an interesting character who was fun to read about. I did like how she did her own thing her own way, and ...more
Sarah Beth
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Goodreads first reads giveaway review.
I have to say, although this was not my favorite plot, O'Connell's Mallory is one of my favorite characters. I recommend Mallory's Oracle often, and buy it constantly to give to people to read and pass along.
That being said, this book showed a touch more humanity on Kathy's part and a little less patience from Charles. I was also disappointed with the fact that Kathy's gift to Charles was "off the mark." Mallory herself is often "off" a bit, a wo
LJ
WINTER HOUSE (Psychological suspense-NYC-Cont) - VG
Carol O’Connell – 8th in series
G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 2004- Hardcover
Mallory is called to investigate the murder by scissors of an intruder by an elderly woman. But it turns out the intruder was a serial killer, the murder weapon was actually an ice pick, the elderly woman someone who had been missing for fifty-eight years since nine members of her family had been killed with an ice pick.
*** There are layers upon layers in this story of a house,
L
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Carol O'Connell is terrific! I read this story some years ago, loved it, and loved it even more on the re-read. Kate Mallory is a truly unique character among female detectives. Of course she's beautiful; aren't they all? But she's much more interesting than that. She's beyond bristly. And brilliant. And hard. Many of the people who love her also fear her. And even if/when she does something that puts her at risk, it's never something stupid or simpering.

The plot here is great. The Detroit Free
Julie Burns
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I loved this entry in the Mallory series. I first tried a Mallory book several years ago and didn't like it, couldn't imagine what the fuss was about. A couple of years later, after seeing repeated raves for the series on DorothyL, I decided to try it again and I was hooked. I do get annoyed with the italicized sections when her mentor is supposedly speaking to her from the beyond, but I skip those and get back to the meat of the story. I like how Mallory, Charles and Riker work together, and so ...more
Amy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery
I'm sad because I only have one more Kathleen Mallory book to read - then, I'll have to wait until another one is published! (I've read this in the most mixed up way possible - I read #10, the most recently published, first - my last one will be Stone Angel).
In my opinion, this was one of the better of the series. I could almost visualize Nedda and her siblings dancing through the house as a child - and then Nedda as an adult, dodging the ghosts of her family as she goes through the house.
I did
Lake Oz Fic Chick
An orphan, Mallory was rescued from the streets as a child by a kindhearted police officer and his wife. Now grown and a homicide detective herself, she has been so psychologically scarred by her horrific past that in some ways she is still feral and dangerously amoral. In Winter House, Mallory encounters an older woman, Nedda Winter, suspected of a number of brutal murders. As a child of twelve, Winter disappeared when eight members of her family were murdered. Where has she been in the fifty y ...more
Jeannette
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book is number eight in the Kathleen Mallory series. This is the first one I have read.

The apparent regulars in this series are Mallory, Riker and Butler. Yet I had trouble understanding their relationships or conjuring up any real feeling for Mallory. Perhaps if I read the previous novels in this series, I would have more buy-in to the regulars.

Nedda Winter is the real focus in this novel. Her story is the interesting one, and the author kept me guessing as to both her sanity and her guil
pdxmaven
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Got this from Julie as the get-away weekend was starting, and was oh so looking forward to immersing myself in a total "mind candy" release starring Kathleen Mallory (aka Malloyr), NYPD Detective and former feral child raised by now deceased NYPD police officer.

The back cover describes it as "densely plotted" -- I found it so full of characters and historial detail that was supposed to fit in here, there and everywhere that I could hardly keep track.

The gist of it: burglar is murdered with ice
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #11)
  • Chelsea Mansions (Brock & Kolla, #11)
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Cold Rain
  • Murder on the Ile Saint-Louis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #7)
  • A Death In Calabria (Michele Ferrara, #4)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • The Long Fall (Leonid McGill, #1)
  • The Coldest Fear (Detective Jack Murphy #2)
  • Silent Confessions
  • The Adjustment
  • Loving Time (April Woo, #3)
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Murder at the Nightwood Bar (Kate Delafield, #2)
  • Prayer of the Dragon (Inspector Shan, #5)
  • Fox Evil
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...

Kathleen Mallory (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory, #2)
  • Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory, #5)
  • Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)
  • Dead Famous (Kathleen Mallory, #7)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
“You know it's a dysfunctional family," said Riker, "when the one you like best is a mass murderer.” 2 likes
“You know it’s a dysfunctional family,” said Riker, “when the one you like the best is a mass murderer.” 0 likes