Start by marking “Mastering Mountain Bike Skills” as Want to Read:
Mastering Mountain Bike Skills

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills is your guide for riding better, faster and more confidently on all terrain. World champion racer Brian Lopes and renowned coach Lee McCormack provide you with all of the key techniques and skills you'll need to take your ride to the next level.

This new and improved edition of Mastering Mountain Bike Skills provides detailed, technical instr
Paperback, Second Edition, 256 pages
Published May 2nd 2010 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published February 16th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastering Mountain Bike Skills

Start your review of Mastering Mountain Bike Skills
Rimo Johnson
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After 10 years I read this book. I live in Washington. Nowadays in a mountain bike is very popular among young guys. I want to learn how to ride a mountain bike. So that's the reason I read this book. After 100 pages of I read, this book is inspired me to get a mountain bike. It also realizes me what benefit of having a mountain bike. I purchase a mountain bike & I ride it on the trails. But I am an amateur rider. Gradually i will learn to control & ride a mountain bike perfectly. Thanks to the ...more
Tom C.
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good stuff...written technically but with a lighthearted, informal style. There's plenty here for both beginners and folks with more than a few dirty, sweat soaked miles on the tread. That said, most of the book is presented in a concise, "Cliff's Notes" way...so much of the information probably will need to be supplemented after reading...but there's no question that there's lots here for all levels.

There is probably no more important thing for new riders to learn about mountain biking than ju
Pat Loughery
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cycling
This is a FANTASTIC look at mountain bike skills. I'm rusty from a long layoff, and in addition to getting out and just *riding*, this book has been very inspirational and educational to me. There's a ton of useful information in here that I just didn't learn by osmosis when I was riding super regularly, as well as some details that have just changed as bikes and trails change.

This will be on my bookshelf for a long time to come, and I'll recommend it broadly to anybody I know who's a mountain b
John Holloway
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to know

I found this to be an excellent introduction into mountain biking. I have been riding road bikes for the past 25 years and this book is written in a language and style I can understand as someone familiar with cycling, but not this discipline.
Sean
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
If only every sport & hobby had a guide this in-depth, well-written, and informative. ...more
Brian Christner
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mountain-biking
Great book with lots of excellent tips. After reading this book I improved my riding style and fun factor.
Marianne Søiland
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very well written and good technical information about how to ride your bike properly.
(Just pedal, if you ask me - but nobody does ;)
SY77
Jun 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old book (in 2020), but most (or all?) of the advice still applies. The bikes and riding styles have changed over time, but this book covers the fundamentals, and with good illustrations. I'm not a fan of the jock-talk style which pops out occasionally, but I still consider this book a good source of information, and therefore would recommend it.
Richard Hunt
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The winner: this book, bar none, is the best I've seen. From the comprehensive breadth to the superb photos to the insight and energy emanating the authors; all this adds up to a thrill ride.
Somehow the authors seem to alight on every possible topic there is in mountain biking...which clearly is the direct effect of their experience in the field (and the woods, and on ramps, in streams and on pump tracks). The benefits of a second edition probably helped a great deal too as the frame was ther
Chris
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Heavy on the feet; light with the hands.

Sound advice, always.
Mark Allen
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mastering mountain bike skills

1) The main purpose of the book is to teach the reader how to develop better mountain bike skills. I know this is the main idea because the title is mastering mountain bike skills, and the book clearly describes how to ride your mountain bike like a pro on the trials.
2) The most interesting fact is how to pop a wheelie. I am working on this skill, but it is interesting to me because I learned that the back tire can roll over almost anything while the front wheel is
Chris March
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Heavy feet, light hands" can transform your connection with the bike, and make it more fun and safe by giving you a tool for better traction control. But, that is the tip of the iceberg, and taken too literally, without all the other lessons in the book, that mantra can also get you into trouble, especially on modern bikes, where there is more weight bias toward the back wheel in flat terrain. The 3rd edition explains a little bit about putting power, not weight through your hands in certain ci ...more
Gretchen Stokes
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now I know everything! Highly recommended by me, as it came to me. You have to apply a filter to some bro-speak, and what comes out is sometimes a tad repetitive in parts, but true and from an infinite font of mtb knowledge. I have since bought a none e-book version, in hopes of applying the skills IRL with more success.
Brandon Ford
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book with expert information!

This book has improved my riding big time. I am going to read it again soon to strengthen my skills more. this is the best book for enhancing your MTB skills.
Miles
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has very comprehensive information, but the language is aimed squarely at the young US male. It gives the feeling that the authors are trying too hard and in the process, skipping over what could be more clear or detailed explanations.

My girlfriend found the language very off-putting.
Amanda Robeson
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book through the Goodreads giveaway.
Very thorough. Full of tips and tricks. Very useful picture illustrations. Love that they added some humor into it.
Brandy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Made me a winner!
Alison
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I learned more about mountain biking from reading this book than frm actually riding!!
Thomas Airlangga
Great book !!
Felipe Pinzon
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excelente texto para iniciarse en MTB
Russ Mathers
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best book on mountain biking I've read! "Heavy feet, light hands" to keep good balance fore/aft.
Jenny Sheehan
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as usual pretty guy centric but some great riding tips
Mark Allen
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome
David
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good tips, but nothing earth shattering. The writing style is juvenile, but forgivable, considering the young audience that would typically read this book.
Nikki
Jul 06, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
umm.....hello - it's about mountain biking! =)
Richard Allen
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Well written in a nice conversational style, full of useful technical tips, pictures and diagrams. Easy to understand and practice the tips out on the trails
زاهي رستم
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Cem Mercan
Sep 06, 2015

• Designing and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection Systems
  • Minecraft Games, Jokes, Fun Activities & Much More! (Wimpy Steve Book 3.5): Companion Book to Diary of a Wimpy Steve: In the Dog House! (Minecraft Books for Kids 6)
  • The Twisted Ones (Five Nights at Freddy's, #2)
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 2 [Boku No Hero Academia 2] (My Hero Academia, #2)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Steve series: Horsing Around! (Book 2): Unofficial Minecraft Books (Minecraft Books for Kids)
  • I Lived in a Clown Motel: A True Story of the Dumbest Thing I Ever Did
  • Practical Research: Planning and Design
  • Principles of Radiographic Imaging: An Art and a Science (Carlton,Principles of Radiographic Imaging)
  • Create This Book 2
  • FGTeeV Presents: Into the Game!
  • A Bad Kitty Christmas: Includes Three Ready-to-Hang Ornaments!
  • Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance: The World's Best-Selling Guide to Mountain Bike Repair
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 雄英白書 II 林間合宿:裏面 [Boku No Hero Academia: Yuuei Hakusho II] (My Hero Academia Light Novels, #2: Training Camp)
  • My Life as a Stuntboy (My Life, #2)
  • Best Self: Be You, Only Better
  • The Overlook (Harry Bosch, #13; Harry Bosch Universe, #17)
  • A Taste of Prince Edward County: A Guide to the People, Places & Food of Ontario's Favourite Getaway
  • Assessing Reading: Multiple Measures for Kindergarten Through Twelfth Grade