Start by marking “The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)

The Lady Chosen

(Bastion Club #1)

Tristan Wemyss, Earl of Trentham, never expected he'd need to wed within a year or forfeit his inheritance. But he is not one to bow to the matchmaking mamas of the ton. No, he will marry a lady of his own choosing. And the lady he chooses is the enchanting neighbor living with her family next door. Miss Leonora Carling has beauty, spirit and passion; unfortunately, matrim ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady Chosen, please sign up.
Melissa I believe he was trying to scare her into wanting to either move out of the house or sell it. It was all part of the plot to intimidate and gain…moreI believe he was trying to scare her into wanting to either move out of the house or sell it. It was all part of the plot to intimidate and gain access to the house.(less)

Phrynne
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
An entertaining story with good points and bad.

It begins well with a group of ex military spies setting up their own private club in a house in Regency London. One of them then becomes embroiled in the affairs of the next door neighbour who is of course beautiful and unmarried. There is a mystery to be solved and some physical danger to the lady concerned.

There is of course a romance which becomes very heavy very quickly and then goes on and on. And on. Hence my first issue with the book - it is
Lauren
The Lady Chosen
3 Stars

Never expecting to inherit a title, Tristan Wemyss has spent the majority of his adult life in service to the Crown. As the newly minted Earl of Trentham, he finds himself responsible for numerous estates and several elderly relatives, but requires a bride or he will forfeit the inheritance necessary for their upkeep. Determined to avoid the matchmakers of the ton and choose his own wife, Tristan decides on his charming and vivacious neighbor, Leonora Carling. Now if only h
Sammy Loves Books

Tristan, Earl of Trentham, returned from the war to find he has inherited two houses full of older female dependents. His evil uncle also stipulated in his will that Tristan has to marry within a year or all un-entailed properties will be donated to charity.

Leonora was engaged long ago, but her fiancé left her for another woman. She has no interest in marrying and is content to live her life as a spinster. That is, until she meets her new neighbor, Tristan.

There is also a mystery to so
Chitra *CJ*
"The Lady Chosen" is the first book is Bastion club, and the story of Leonora and Tristan.
We are introduced to the club, made up of ex spies and military men, who are forced to settle down due to reasons aplenty.
Tristan has to find a wife to secure his inheritance, but before he can look around, he is bowled over by his sassy neighbor Leonora, who's house keeps getting intruded and gets threatened by some landowners.
As they both embark together to solve the mystery of the goons, passion explodes
Kit★
Oh gosh, ok, I'm gonna do it. Here I go Bastion Club #1... I originally read it back in 2006-7 I think and I remember it being mostly ok, but long and drawn out. But that was before I really got into Laurens' books, got accustomed to her style and such, so I was kind of hoping it would impress me this time around. Well, I did enjoy it pretty much throughout, but I still think it was rather long and drawn out. Not that I can pinpoint anything that should've been cut out, but it just seemed pretty ...more
LaFleurBleue
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, romance-histo
I also really liked this book which was formally the first in the Bastion Club series. The explanations behind the creation of the club were rather interesting, though a bit short and with so many new characters that it was difficult to place them all.
I liked how the mere fact of creating this club embroiled Tristan directly in the story behind strange incidents occurring next door. I was convinced almost from the first that the two leads were perfect for each other and really enjoyed reading th
Jessica Kayuha
These books definitely require me to start keeping notes of all of the things that make me go "Really? That's really what you wrote?".

1. The prologue's exposition. Nobody, but nobody would talk with friends that way. I get it, you have to give the reader the info some way. But please, at least also give us the benefit of the doubt that we have brains, and can possibly figure some things out on our own. Having men who have known each other for years address each other the way these did is asinine
Lori McD

I liked this book better than "Captain Jack's Woman", probably because the Hero and Heroine weren't jumping on top of one another every couple of pages!

The premise is that post-Waterloo, the spies are out of business and back in England. We are introduced to seven men who were previously employed as spies, mostly infiltrating enemy lands and enemy lines, posing as locals. All seven are master impersonators, fighters, and strategists. The seven haven't all met until they find themselves
Diane Briones™
The Lady Chosen, if like me, you're a Laurens fan, you may have been waiting for this book, for what feels like ever. I eagerly read it. The Bastion Club is a group of returning heroes from the war, feted (mainly, because there aren't that many eligible bachelors still around) in society, the men decide to buy a house and turn it into a club. A bolthole from all those marriage hunting mama's. Tristan holds true to that Lauren's image of a Regency man, blue blooded and true. Also very noble, (mak ...more
Rosemary Morris
This is the first book by Stephanie Laurens which I have read.The beautiful book cover captured my attention and the blurb on the back cover interested me.

The first chapter about aristocratic spies during the Napoleonic Wars, who have resigned from the army and must marry, interested me. So did the opening scene set in October 1815 in which The Prince Regent burbled on about the Battle of Waterloo causing the former officers, who have sold their commissions, to escape from the Brighton Pavilion
Meredith Galman
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I liked the idea of a group of noble gentlemen planning their marriages like a military campaign, but that's not at all what we get in this book. Question: why DO authors write Regencies when they're not willing to accept Regency conventions? Does the author really think that the catty old ladies in Jane Austen wouldn't notice if her hero and heroine snuck off together at every single party they were at for weeks to have sex across the breadth of the ton? Does she really think that an unmarried ...more
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Please check all prices before buying, prices correct at time of publication.

£1.49 was £5.99
Amazon UK Link - The Lady Chosen: Number 1 in series (Bastion Club)
$2.26
Amazon US Link - http://amzn.com/B004DNVXB0
L H
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really hate the book...but it wasn't really a romance! Because I haven't really got any idea why fill in love...for me, it was basically a mystery book with a love story thrown in.
-There wasn’t really much conversation between the two leads. No actual way for them to KNOW each other even though they seemed to spend a lot of time together going to parties, having sex (at every party), and solving the burglaries problems.
-The heroin is set against marriage...but even SHE doesn't know why
Shari
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really loved the relationship between the hero and heroine. First off, the hero KNOWS he needs to get married; he isn't one of these romance heroes who abhors the thought of marriage (and that's supposed to be the main conflict for him). Rather, it's the heroine who doesn't want to get married, and though that's a tad flimsy, it's at least grounded in some solid emotional reasoning, combined with the fact that she's reasonably independent and well-off without being married. These two come to g ...more
April
I adore this series!! Stephanie Laurens is a master at the Alpha Rake!! I love the men pursuing their ladies!!

What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I adore this whole series and can not wait to see each man get his lady. It is a bit formula with the alpha male who is often chased finding a lady he wants and being forced to pursue her. But formula works that why we love it!

Each book has an add but of i
Cortney
Feb 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ridiculous!!! A women that is 26 years old and unmarried falls in love with a weird man that watches her next door. BUT she doesn't just fall in love she gives up her morals right away and then they continue doing such things with WAY TO MUCH INFO.... and hardly any story line!!! I couldn't even finish it it was so bad!
Nyla Bright
I have mixed feeling on this book. There are many historic inaccuracies which hurt suspicion of disbelief. The main male character is more then a little creepy and frankly someone I wouldn't want to meet. Yet, I read the entire book and completely enjoyed the sex scenes. So, read for the sex. If that thing doesn't float your boat, skip it.
Amanda
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual 3.5 - it's so nice to have some action and mystery in historical romances. It adds so much to it, almost to the point where maybe they're technically not historical romances. Almost. I like this series so far. Ex-spies… how very Victorian 007.
Barbara
Not happy with this narrator. She can't do the male voices. Jill Tannner
The book was slow and long.
Nikki ♥
3.5 A little slow at times, but the writing was good and it was a decent story
Bianca
A bit slow in some places, but overall very enjoyable!
Melissa McHugh
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note

Stephanie Laurens is one of the earliest romance authors I got into when I started reading romance in 2003. The second book in this series, A Gentleman of Honor, was in CVS, so I guess this might have been 2004 or 2005, and I liked it enough to start investing in the backlist.

The Bastion Club is probably my favorite series from Stephanie Laurens, though the Cynsters Sisters trilogy is a close second. I love stories set in and around the Napoleonic Wars, and I liked that her heroines are acti
Megan
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself was well written. The characters were well developed. It was somewhat predictable, but that's the nature of this type of book. Also typical within this genre is the two story lines. One for substance and plot, the other is just for 'romance'. The two stories did not commingle as much as they maybe could have. There was one point in the book where the romatic climax was done, but the book hadn't yet reached the plot climax. Those chapters inbetween were pretty rough because at tha ...more
Leslie Strobel Madrzak
I love the Cynster books, but this one leaves me wanting. It REALLY drags. No part is particularly bad, but no part is particularly good. I hate ditsy or annoying leading ladies and she is neither. However, I never actually come to care about her. I have read some of the other reviews that blame the never ending monotony on the narrator, and this is a possibility. I may have to motivate to read the book some time and see if I like it better, but at this point, I cannot recommend it.
Natalie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am all for romance novels, but god this one is so THICK and so BORING. The whole arc that gets the two main characters is the LEAST interesting. And the dudes voyereustic peering is not romantic it's stalky and the main characters family is another boring addition. there scenes feel completely unnecessary. I finished out of spite mostly. I just was determined to know how good or bad the whole book was and UGH. I'm donating this immediately.
Kari Chapman
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I've read this once before and thought it was ok, but not as good as the main Cynster novels. Re-reading it, I find that's still my take away. It's worlds better than Captain Jack's woman, but the main characters are still not quite right. A bit too stalker weird, a bit TSTL. The mystery drags on and on and doesn't always make the most sense. But in the end it came together all right.
Reforming
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, deleted
This is the last Laurens book I will read. She writes well, but I am finding that her books consist of endless sex and lots and lots of ruminating by the protagonists. I am currently reading a Balogh Regency to remind myself what Regencies can be.
Jeri
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book seemed longer than other romance novels, and I liked that. There was intrigue, danger, complications, emotions, and excellent characterization. This is my first brush with Laurens, and I'm impressed.
Jo
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, ebooks
Don't like an alpha male, especially one who bullies a woman into bed. I did like the female character, but ultimately she and the hero are completely interchangeable with the second book's hero and heroine. The idea of the story is better than it's execution.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Leap of Faith Necessary 2 25 Nov 18, 2013 03:37AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book Description in wrong language 10 197 Mar 26, 2013 03:31PM

• My Scandalous Bride
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • His Wicked Kiss (Knight Miscellany, #7)
  • Seduced at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1)
  • Meet Me at Midnight (With This Ring, #2)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • The Bachelor List (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #1)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Bastion Club (8 books)
  • A Gentleman's Honor (Bastion Club, #2)
  • A Lady of His Own (Bastion Club, #3)
  • A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)
  • To Distraction (Bastion Club, #5)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7)
  • Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)