Start by marking “Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled” as Want to Read:
Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

In 1951, with the Second World War not long over and the menace of the Cold War generating anxiety in the West, Martyn Lloyd-Jones preached eight sermons on John 14:1-12 at Westminister Chapel in London. These sermons, presented here in one volume, were intended to comfort, strengthen, and build up Christians in their "most holy faith" and to bring unbelievers to a knowled

Published June 30th 2009 by Crossway (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled

Ricky Smith
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-libary
As always Lloyd-Jones remains logical, assuring, comforting and Gospel Driving. In this small series on John 14, MLJ brings us back to understanding who Jesus is and what Jesus teaches. Just after WWII and the fears of the Cold War looming over his congregations hearts, the Doctor apples the Gospel to comfort the faith of his listeners without compromising the Gospel. Anything of MLJ is worth reading.
Caleb Nedimyer
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is classic Lloyd-Jones. It is filled with clear explanation of the text (John 14) and practical application for the reader. I read this book specifically for my edification and was not disappointed. His insights into the troubled hearts of people helped tremendously.

One quip that I have with many of Lloyd-Jones' books is that they are his sermons rather than his writing. It makes the application excellent, but readability is lost or convoluted at times.
Becky
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled is a collection of sermons preached by Martyn Lloyd-Jones in 1951 in London. The sermon collection focuses on, as you might have already guessed, on John 14. The sermons go verse by verse through the first half of the fourteenth chapter. They include, "Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled," "Believe in God," "Believe Also In Me," "In My Father's House," "I Go To Prepare A Place For You," "I Will Come Again, and Receive You," "I Am The Way, The Truth, and the Life," and " ...more
Michele Morin
Sometimes we get it all wrong when we read Scripture. We translate sentences through a syrupy grid of sentimentality (“Oh, that’s so comforting . . .”), when what we are looking at is a command. Do this.

Thus begins sermon number one of Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled, a compilation of eight sermons preached by Martin Lloyd Jones in 1951 when Cold War angst and post WWII gloom hung in the air of Great Britain as thick as London fog. His musings on John 14 are no less relevant in today’s milieu of
Shelly
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to him, “Lord,we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and ...more
Annette
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Source: Free ebook copy from Crossway in exchange for a review. All reviews expressed are from my own opinions and feelings.
Summary:
Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Welsh Protestant Reformed pastor. For thirty years he was minister of Westminster Chapel in London, England. In 1951 he gave a series of eight messages on John chapter fourteen, the first twelve verses.
These eight sermons are given in three parts. They teach that in order to have a "quiet" heart we must "believe" in Jesus Christ, to trust in
Mark A Powell
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series of sermons, from John 14:1-12, was originally preached in 1951 at the close of World War 2, the second such global conflict within a generation’s time. To a world reeling from such catastrophic loss and violence, the need for peace and a quiet heart was paramount. Lloyd-Jones, in these messages, explains why true peace isn’t something that can be found through this world’s methods and demonstrates how Christ alone can grant a quiet heart.
Douglas Hitzel
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a thoroughly encouraging and thoughtful exposition to John 14. Lloyd - Jones nails the idea of the Gospel giving the true source of a quiet heart amidst trials and suffering. great read!
Rich Schmaltz
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was classic Lloyd Jones, hitting on assurance of salvation, comfort in God as father, and mostly about seeing life here on earth in light of eternity with God. Such an encouraging read. It was one of the shorter Lloyd Jones books but one of my favorites.
Bo White
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

like his 'spiritual depression,' Lloyd Jones seems to apply the Bible well to dark days....
Katie T
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading again with a few friends. It was helpful the first time, but it is even sweeter to discuss.

Vincent
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll keep this book handy. It's one of those excellent reminders that I want again and again.
Bruce
Oct 20, 2013
Scott Raymond
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
David Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Welsh Protestant minister, preacher and medical doctor who was influential in the Reformed wing of the British evangelical movement in the 20th century. For almost 30 years, he was the minister of Westminster Chapel in London. Lloyd-Jones was strongly opposed to Liberal Christianity, which had become a part of many Christian denominations; he regarded it as aberrant. ...more
More about D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones...