Start by marking “Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)” as Want to Read:
Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)

Drowned Hopes

(Dortmunder #7)

(7th in Dormunder Series )

John Dortmunder strikes it unlucky again when he gets a visit from an old cellmate, Tom Jimson. During Jimson's long stretch in the pen, the State of New York decided to turn a certain valley near Albany into a reservoir and it just so happens that the loot from Tom's last bank job was buried in that valley. Now the cash is under fifty feet of wat

Published April 16th 2010 (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Drowned Hopes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drowned Hopes

Start your review of Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)
F.R.
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a series of criminal capers, Westlake’s Dortmunder novels unspool at their own comfortable pace. Readers just sit back and let the whole thing unravel in front of them. The same amusing characters – Andy Kelp, Stan Murch, et al – appear again and again, and it’s like being with friends (shady, criminal and sometimes incompetent friends, but friends nevertheless). That’s not to say that these books lack dramatic tension or suspense, as Westlake will happily take his readers to a point of real ...more
Robert
Apparently there is a whole series of "Dortmunder" books and this isn't the first. It's a mildly amusing crime caper novel, in which Dortmunder is the brains (allegedly) for the underwater salvage of a recently released psycho's spoils from an armed robbery. It would have been a lot better, though, if not for the computer geek and his computer. The book was published in 1990 and the PC was still pretty new-fangled (the first time I used one was only the year before). The computer geek as comedic ...more
jeffrey
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago at the recommendation of a friend. It was my first Dortmunder novel- and the funniest one yet. I just remember that the characters were all well-drawn, each with their own quirks. It was my introduction to 'Murch's mom', an ace driver, as well as the rest of the unlucky gang. I highly recommend it!
Robert
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2018-19-season
Substantially longer than previous entries, and less enjoyable for it. The central conceit is good, and the new characters well drawn, but the entire experience is fatiguing in a way previous volumes weren't.
Harold
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 was certainly the year of Westlake for me. Now 2018 may be the same. I finished this and I'm looking for the next inn the series.
Spiros
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who take delight in things going awry
For some reason, it is becoming incredibly hard to find Dortmunder novels in this City. To satisfy my Dortmunder jones, I was forced to borrow this volume, which I had read many years ago, from work. No matter: with Westlake's intricate plotting, and the gang's brilliant malaproprisms and general maladroitness, it was as fresh to me as if I had never read it before. I had even forgotten that herein it is revealed that Murch's Mom, um, rejoices (?) in the name of Gladys.
While reading this book, I
Sheila Roberts
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my all-time favorite Donald E. Westlake book. So cleverly done, such great humor. How sad that he's no longer with us!
Lauren
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, comedy
Dortmunder's glum fatalism is more justified than ever in this installment, as his conscience gets him in over his head (literally). The poor guy just can't catch a break.

Prison overcrowding means that an old cellmate of Dortmunder's, Tom Jimson, is back in the world, and while Tom might be ready for retirement, he's still a cold-eyed, cold-hearted son-of-a-bitch who doesn't see any reason for the deaths of hundreds of people to get in the way of him retrieving the seven hundred thousand dollars
Martha Grace
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to Donald Westlake and there are things I really like. He is funny and plays with language. John Archibald Dortmunder is an anti-hero, a small time criminal who literally struggles to keep his head above water in this tale. His old cellmate, Tom Jimson, shows up unannounced at Dortmunder's home with a proposal for a caper that John just can't stomach. Many years ago, Tom heisted $700,000 that he stashed behind the library in a small town in upstate New York. He did some ...more
Nigel
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Truly great Dortmunder caper where he is invited to help an old cellmate who happens to be a terrifying sociopath recover stolen money from the bottom of a reservoir. It's not really Dortmunder's thing, but seeing as if he doesn't the old cell-mate intends to resort to dynamite and flood a valley full of unsuspecting citizens, he feels obliged to make the effort. There follows a series of attempts to get down to the money and to get the money up. None of them go smoothly. Complications accrue an ...more
Alex
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rented
This may be my favorite of the Dortmunder novels (that I've read). Which is funny because while they all share the pessimistic worldview of Dortmunder himself, this was the first one where Westlake's side narratives painted a truly dark and misanthropic, if humorously done, picture of the world. Maybe because the antagonist of this book is so much darker then the ones in the other D. novels I've read? So, anyway, that tonal switch interested me.

I also favor this book because it had a three para
David
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noirboiled
In which Dortmunder must figure out how to retrieve money buried at the bottom of a lake. My pet peeve about the Dortmunder series has been that the lighter tone of these books (compared to, say, oh, I don't know, the Parker novels?) tempts Westlake sometimes to take the easy, sophomoric route (e.g., fart jokes). This time out, plot and execution are strong (the first major underwater scene, in particular, is brilliantly claustrophobic), and the proceedings stay mature . . . but Westlake cannot ...more
Mike Riley
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without question, the zaniest Dortmunder caper.

Excellent, silly, endearing, funny ... in a word - great!
Richard White
It's Dortmunder and his crazy crew so what's not to like. Not quite as good as some previous entries but still ok.
Zora
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
While the computer stuff is all wrong (and was then, actually), it's forgivable.

The gang accidentally at the wedding-- and the wedding itself--is one of the funniest scenes Westlake ever penned. (Right up there along with Dortmunder at the soldiers of fortune meeting, the fishiest fish out of water moment EVER!) That the newlywed couple reappears later on is a delightful surprise.

They (excepting Tim/Tom) get downright suburban in this is part of the delight. Murch's Mom playing bridge, them bei
Donna Davis
A guy gets out of prison, and he goes to get the loot where he buried it. Unfortunately, he's been gone quite awhile. A dam has been built and the water for a whole town is on top of it now. In order to get to it, he just may have to drown the whole town.

The protagonist is the guy he goes to see about it. Our protagonist, of course, is not a big-time hoodlum with a heart of flint. Westlake doesn't write that way. No, our guy is callous, certainly; selfish, no doubt. But he does not have anywhere
Tony
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Worst in the series so far. The book is twice the length of some of the previous ones, and for no apparent reason — some of the shortest have had much more elaborate plots. This one merely plods along, with very little cleverness or humour in the main plot (rather than in the asides), and the dialogues between Wally and his computer are simply painful.
Phoebe Matthews
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the books in the Dortmunder series are wonderful, but this is probably the funniest. With his stuff, I read it, get to the last line and so know the story, and then I go right back to page l and read through again to enjoy all the subtle bits.
Rog Harrison
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second book I have read featuring Dortmunder and it certainly made me want to read more. At 550 pages it's a long story with more than a few twists and turns but with a satisfying ending. It's over the top but makes you smile even though there is some violence and people do die.
Larry Webber
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Dortmunder I ever read, and it has grown on me with a second reading. One of my favorite Westlake novels.
Carol Silver
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've read enough of the Dortmunder novels and have a feel for the characters, it makes this book extra funny. It is one of my most laughed out loud during reading books ever!
Brigid
Apr 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Now this is good Dortmunder! It's been years since I read this one, but I remember it as delightfully funny. It has one of the best comic crime caper set-ups that I've read.
Vincent
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Dortmunder, and I really enjoyed it. I'd rank Parker ahead on gritty crime and deadliness, but this was more fun.
Johnny
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
The cover blurb on my copy of Donald E. Westlake’s Drowned Hopes says that this is the best Dortmunder novel to date. Of course, Drowned Hopes was approximately in the middle of the late Donald Westlake’s chronology for his master burglar/criminal planner, John Dortmunder, and I don’t think I’ve read the whole series. But, I don’t think I disagree. I particularly liked Drowned Hopes because the motivation for pulling off the job was more than making a big score moneywise.

To summarize as best I
Critter Reyome
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's always very difficult to rate/rank books in the same series. I'm thinking of the Cussler Dirk Pitt boks, which get progressively worse as they go along, or the Preston & Child Pendergast series, which happily, hasn't yet, tough it has come close to losing my interest. The most consistently wonderful series of books I have yet to read are F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack tales, which have remained both engrossing and original throughout.

Still. Having now completed book number seven in the Dor
Kat Blockade
This is my all time favourite book in the Dortmunder series. It has all the regulars, plus a series of side plots which follow other characters and their (sometimes incredibly tenuous) links to the current caper and those involved. Laugh out loud funny! I really enjoyed all the different character point of view chapters in which all the main characters and their capers are described by the supporting cast- you get a sense of how truly ridiculous Dortmunder's world is.
Diogenes
A longer than usual and frustrating Dortmunder adventure, this time outside of NYC. The first 6 in the series were all 4+ star reads, but this didn't match the quality of the previous ones. All the familiar characters are there plus a few new bizarre new ones. There's humor, but no real LOL moments.
Sally Peters
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny Caper Mystery

The usual suspects are back once again proving crime really doesn't pay. Dortmund comes up with the plans, Andy Kelp gets the transportation, Stan Murch drives it and Murch's mom and May provide support. But when the pay off is fifty feet under water and a ruthless killer is involved, the result is bound to be chaos and mayhem and rib splitting laughs.
Jackie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one, too, after raving about Good Behavior, Dortmunder and The Gang are at their best and joined by some other "professionals" (Tom) and interesting amatures (Wally & Doug) not to mention Myrtle and Edna.
(view spoiler). Don't miss this book, it's interesting, suspenseful and funny.
Jon
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A long way from the best of the Dortmunder series with few good laughs. Dortmunder is even gloomier than usual, and the seemingly impossible caper is too repetitive. But the gang, as usual, steals cars with ease, this time including a Chevy Chamois and a Pontiac Prix Fixe. The ending does tie up all the loose ends pretty well, and everyone gets what they deserve.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Naked Came the Florida Man (Serge A. Storms #23)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • The Seventh (Parker, #7)
  • Longshot
  • The Outfit (Parker, #3)
  • Grifter's Game
  • Heart of Barkness (Chet and Bernie Mystery #9)
  • Bust (Max & Angela #1)
  • The Rare Coin Score (Parker, #9)
  • The Gutter and the Grave
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct, #2)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • The Green Eagle Score (Parker, #10)
  • Bonfire Night (Lady Julia Grey, #5.7)
  • For Kicks
  • Twelve Days of Winter: Crime at Christmas
  • Lemons Never Lie (Alan Grofield #4)
  • City of Jasmine
Donald E. Westlake (1933-2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950's, churning out novels for pulp houses—often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms such as Richard Stark—but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ru ...more

Dortmunder (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1)
  • Bank Shot (Dortmunder, #2)
  • Jimmy The Kid (Dortmunder, #3)
  • Nobody's Perfect (Dortmunder, #4)
  • Why Me? (Dortmunder, #5)
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • Don't Ask (Dortmunder, #8)
  • What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9)
  • Bad News (Dortmunder, #10)
  • The Road To Ruin (Dortmunder, #11)