Start by marking “The Subway Mouse” as Want to Read:
The Subway Mouse

The Subway Mouse

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Nib is a subway mouse. As a young mouse, he loved to hear the stories about Tunnel's End: a beautiful yet dangerous, roofless world. One day, Nib decides to set off, away from his dirty, crowded home, to find his dream. Along the way he meets a girl mouse named Lola, who joins him. Together, they navigate the long and dangerous tunnel, until, one night, when they have almo ...more
Published February 26th 2004 by Scholastic Canada

To ask other readers questions about The Subway Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subway Mouse

Dianna
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrations here are plasticene with found objects and paint. The pictures are so vivid and attention-getting. The story is about a mouse who lives in the subway who tries to find the legendary outside, where none of the other mice have ever been. We liked it!
David
The Subway Mouse by Barbara Reid is the story of Nib, the subway mouse, and his search for Tunnel's End: a beautiful yet dangerous, roofless world.

Nib grew up at Sweetfall, under a busy platform, hearing bedtime stories of Tunnel's End. When his cousins decide to move into his nest, Nib decides to search for Tunnel's End. At another platform named Sugardrop Nib meets Lola, who joins him on his quest. At another station, they flee a gang of big mice. They pass many stations, and run out of food.
Linda
Adventures of a mouse who lives with his family in a subway station. He becomes fascinated with stories about the Tunnel's End and embarks on a journey with another mouse, Lola to find it. Don't read this book for the fairly dull story, but for the illustrations--they are incredible! Made from what looks like clay, they give the appearance of being three dimensional and are what kept me turning the pages.

From SLJ:
"Although the story is somewhat flat and predictable, Reid's artwork is outstanding
Ksenia (vaenn)
Воно ніби й негарно - додавати в прочитане садочкову книжку-картинку, але в цьому випадку важко втриматися. Коротенька циклічна історійка-притча про маленькі великі подвиги для найменших, тобто зміст - це одне. Хороша книжка, добра, хоча й місцями з моралькою "Хапнув - біжи щодуху!". Але ж тут ще є форма! Чудово збалансовані між реалістичністю та казковістю пластилінові ілюстрації серце гризунофіла підкорюють на раз. Не гризунофілам рекомендувати не можу - миші тут цілком собі щурячого штибу, і ...more
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is fun, and adds just enough creative detail to make it stand out from all the others on the topic. But it's the art for which we have chosen the book (am I right?) and it does not disappoint. The picture of Nib's first "snug hideout" draws me in immersively... I almost want to copy it for a 'room of my own.'
Natalie Schmitt
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601
Nib is a mouse who lives in a subway station. Nib doesn’t really like it because of how noisy it is. At night, Nib hears stories of this great place called Tunnel’s End. Nib sets out on an adventure to find this beautiful place. This book is great for sequencing and re-telling the story. The art work in this book is so unique.
Dolly
Dec 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is an exciting tale of adventure and a love story, too. The setting of the story begins in a dark and dirty subway where a mouse dreams of a better, brighter life. The illustrations are very creative and feature mixed media scraps that make the images seem very realistic. I enjoyed this story much more than I thought I would.
Jennifer Burch
This book is about a mouse and his family who live under the subway. One day he gets the idea to go to the end of the tunnel. While everyone tells him he is crazy and that it isn't real, he continues to go. Along the way he meets a friend and together they go on this adventure. They realize the outside world is scary; but together they are home and are safe. I thought this story was sweet and well written but it wasn't my favorite. I can use it my classroom to talk about adventure and what it lo ...more
Maria Rowe
The clay illustrations are stunning. I’ve never seen anything quite like them. So vivid and detailed. The story was fun - the ending jumped a bit but overall I liked it although it felt like something was missing. Or maybe it just jumped around a bit.

Materials used: plasticine that was shaped and pressed into illustration board, acrylic paint, found objects, and other materials
Typeface used: 19-pt. Garamond Medium
Sandra
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The book was bizarre, hilarious and I felt captivated the entire time. A mouse on a mission to see what kind of life lies beyond his confines. His migration is a little frightening. He gets hungry. He gets scared. He gets exhausted. But he also makes a new friend who joins him. The illustrations made me giggle too.
Marianne
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a soft spot for animal stories that take place in subways. As always with Reid, the art is astonishingly good.
Alireza Emami
یعنی از این موشها تو متروی ما هم پیدا میشه؟
Jasmine
What a good picture book! I loved the adventure story, and the idea of each subway station being a little mouse kingdom, and the illustrations were FANTASTIC. I love plasticine illustrations.
Stephanie
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Barbara Reid is a total rockstar! She is a prolific author/illustrator, creating all of her illustrations out of plasticine. She tirelessly gives of her time to visit schools and talk to children and teachers. She is also very active on social media, never failing to acknowledge anything sent by her many fans around the world. To top it all off, the York Region District School Board has honoured her by naming one of their newest schools Barbara Reid Public School!
We are huge Barbara Reid
Rommel Sison
6-year-old daughter: 5 stars
4-year-old daughter:
Amy
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story about a mouse named Nib who comes from a large family that lives below the platforms of a busy subway station, a place called Sweetfall. All day the family gathered food when the trains ran and told stories when it was quiet, stories about Tunnel's End, a frightening place. Nib loved stories about Tunnel's End and often dreamed about it. One day he decided to travel to Tunnel's End. Along the way he met Lola and the two of them traveled to Tunnel's End together. When they fi ...more
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
It's stupid how much I like this book. I just really loved that when Nib the rat ran into doubters, rats who told him this place called "Tunnel's End" was just a myth, Nib said "Well, at least you've heard of it." How could it be a myth if it is a myth that everyone has heard of? Why has no other rat gone after this myth that every rat wants to be true but is too scared to pursue? Nib is not a heroic rat or even a confident rat, just a curious one. It is kind of like a dystopia for children (and ...more
Clairissa D
The Subway Mouse is a story about a mouse that lived in center part of the subway station had heard about the wonders of the other end of the train station. One day he developed enough courage to leave his family and travel along the subway to find the place that he had heard about. One his way to this place he ran into a girl mouse who was willing to help him in his journey. Soon after they joined the two mice found the enchanted part of the subway that they were looking for and lived happily e ...more
stephanie
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
got this for the little boy i babysit's birthday. i have lost count of how many times i have read it outloud, but luckily, i really like the story and the pictures. it reminds me of the stories i used to write in fourth grade, about this family of mice.

this is the story of nib, who decides to leave the safety of the subway tunnels and seek out a better life at "tunnel's end" - which may or may not exist. beautiful story, all around, especially for new yorkers.
Susan
An adorably imaginative tale of Nib and Lola making their way from the depths of the TTC subway tunnels to the unknown 'tunnels end'. I appreciated Nib's 'calculated risk' approach to the situation. Others might also enjoy Lola's 'go for it' way of being too.

The plasticine-multi-media illustration are just fantastic.
Sandra Dussault
Images superbes, toutes réalisées à partir de pâte à modeler, comme seule Barbara Reid sait le faire !
Malheureusement, histoire prévisible et beaucoup trop longue. Les enfants n'ont pas accroché du tout.
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
This book was so cute! It's about a mouse who lives in a subway who decides to make his way to the outside, and follows the tracks, meeting up with other mouse dudes who think he's crazy for trying to find the legendary outside. My kid really enjoyed it, and I especially enjoyed the cute ending.
Keshia Burchette
Didn't love it and didn't hate it.
Guadalupe Ramirez
A cute little story about the adventure of a little mouse named Nib. I think think book is great for making predictions and also to assess student's reading comprehension.
Heather
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
47 months - Great illustrations all done in plasticine relief... and a really good story too. We all enjoyed this one... oh Canadian author too. :)
Sheri Radford
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
The art in Barbara Reid's books is simply gorgeous, filled with fascinating little details.
Samantha Westall
Cute story about a subway mouse that decides to follow his dreams to a new place outside of the tunnels.
Tnb
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i did not like this book. i thought it was very boring and without a message
Lisa
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
Bought this for my nephews - it's a little long, but the art work is amazing!
Lesley Looper
The story is pretty cute--adventurous little mouse and nice claymation illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Too Much Noise
  • The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs
  • The Great Sheep Shenanigans
  • A Second Is a Hiccup: A Child's Book of Time
  • Playhouse
  • Edward the Emu
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • Franklin's School Play (Franklin Series)
  • Fortunately, Unfortunately
  • The Boy Who Held Back the Sea
  • Rainbow Fish Finds His Way
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good
  • Not Last Night But the Night Before
  • Clifford's Busy Week (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Doo, Creak, Pop-Pop, Moo
  • The Day Leo Said I Hate You!
  • Barbie: Thumbelina
  • Just Critters Who Care (Little Critter)
As a child, Barbara Reid loved reading, drawing, writing and fooling around with plasticine. She kept at it, and has written and illustrated 19 picture books, illustrating more than 25. Her books have been published in over a dozen countries, and her signature plasticine relief illustrations have won many awards including a Governor General’s Award for Illustration and the Ezra Jack Keats Award. H ...more