Start by marking “Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic #2)

Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  515 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Magical genius Aubrey Fitzwilliam is about to become involved in a convoluted series of adventures . . . again

At a loss after finishing their end-of-year exams, Aubrey and George travel to the Gallian capital, Lutetia, where it so happens that the lovely Caroline is studying natural history. Aubrey wants to pursue a cure for his condition—though his family has other ideas
Published January 1st 2011 by Random House Australia (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Gold

Clare Farrelly
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just like these character so much. When you add in politics and magic, and almost dying, and everything going wrong all the time, there you have a pretty good story. In some ways it is not twisty at all, but it is still very complex, and everything that could go wrong does. It is also quite humours. And the magic is just cool, I really like how it has all its laws and limitations. A really fun read.

There is also a bit of evolutionary thinking in here as well.
Alannah Skillicorn
i love this book better then harry potter, it more complex, and funny , and its just awsome
Eva
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: interesting-much
Di sini Perancis disebut Lutetia. Bangsa yang serupa dengan gaya berpakaian dan selera makan yang berkelas. Tapi berbeda dengan Perancis yang kerap bermusuhan dengan Inggris, hubungan Lutetia dan Albion terbilang sangat mesra; mereka adalah dua negara yang saling bersekutu. Dan ke Lutetia-lah pahlawan remaja kita, Aubrey Fitzwilliam, pergi. Mulanya dia ingin berlibur bersama Doyle selama sebulan penuh dengan dua tujuan; yang pertama dan utama adalah mencari jawaban atas kondisi hidup matinya aki ...more
Lee
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Laws of Magic series is definitely making its way onto my favorite series list, so forgive me if this review is a little biased. Now I know you’re looking at the cover and thinking eh…or if you’re my sister, who said, “Hey, it’s Johnny Depp!” (There is actually a cover without the guy on the front so if you don't see him don't freak out ;) But this was one fabulous book.
Pros:
The characters aren’t flat and actually have personalities, especially Aubrey, George, and Caroline. Aubrey is the son
Aelvana
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aubrey needs a vacation. He's optimistic despite the laundry-list of errands he needs to run for various friends and relatives---and hopefully a few of his own. His condition, secret to all but his best friend George, is not improving, and he's hoping Lutetia's university might hold some clue to reversing his past mistakes. And he'd appreciate a chance to take it easy, relax, and explore the city. And possibly---accidentally of course---run across Caroline Hepworth, who happens to be studying at ...more
Elizabeth

4 stars
_____________

Still a fabulous series, but this instalment feels a bit cluttered and leaves you waiting for it to all come together. Which it does, albeit in a bit of a rush.
_____________

Just as Aubrey and George plan to head off to Lutetia in Gallia (Paris, France) on holidays, each of Aubrey's relatives tasks him with something, leaving him with a monumental to-do list and foiling his plans to "bump into" Caroline who's studying there.

Obviously nothing goes to plan and magic and mystery
Charlie
After the strain and danger of Blaze of Glory, Aubrey and George decide to take a relaxing holiday in Lutetia (Paris). But nothing is ever really relaxing around Aubrey Fitzwilliam. Soon enough Aubrey and George are caught up in a whirlwind of intrigue and mystery. Faced with a stolen national treasure and people turned mindless, Aubrey can’t help but get himself, and his friends, involved.

Again, Pryor’s intriguing world and plot are diminished by his tendency to be overly descriptive. In addit
Shannon
I just don't entirely know how I feel about these books. On the one hand, I am semi-intrigued as to where this is all going, but on the other hand I have a few too many problems with the book as a whole to feel like I should keep reading them. Same issues as I previously had: Aubrey can get away with anything and is even encouraged to get himself in dangerous situations by the government (in what world does the government ask a 17yr boy to help in matters of national security I ask you), Carolin ...more
Kathryn Wilson
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-was-good
Very good. Pryor's work in creating a plucky, appropriately Victorian-esque character in Aubrey Fitzwilliam is brilliant. The language is wonderfully mature yet still relatively straightforward.

This book follows Aubrey, now the son of Albion's Prime Minister, and his friend George on holiday, as they attempt to uncover what's going on in Gallia. Aubrey's wit, magical talent, and general intelligence comes in handy as they, with friend Caroline's assistance, work furiously to bring together the
Shelvy
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The book is great as previous one. But in this one, we are shown how "humanly arrogant" Aubrey is.
His high handed move to make Caroline help him is REALLY annoying and the result is as bad as we know how it should be.
Also, his "Hero Syndrom" is more showcased than prevous book.
Well, I think all of his weakness should be expected, with his background and characters. But still, hope he learn how to appreciate human more, not merely as chess pieces.
Can't wait to read book 3 and see how He grovel
Jen
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, teenage
Great 2nd part to this series. Aubrey is a magician student who has a problem with a failed magical experiment that has almost severed his life force. He goes to France on a quest for his king, the prime minister, his grandmother and others and along the way, finds out how to save his soul. He has many adventures with his best friend George, and his hoped to be girlfriend, Caroline. Of course, good prevails over evil but Aubrey lucks out with Caroline. Sets it up nicely for the next part.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Sara Douglass 'Book Series' Award. This entry is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

I won't be recording my thoughts (if I choose to) here until after the AA are over.
Tara
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: who likes busy stories
Recommended to Tara by: no one
I loved this sequal.

It definately did not disappoint me, and it did the first book justice by far.

The characters go to Gallia (France) And are faced with so many exciting challeges that i wont bother to go thorugh them.
It's a very full on book, and probably my favourite out of the two.

Keep it up. :)
Vickey Foggin
The gang have all been recruited as junior agents for various intelligence agencies and are off to Gallia (France) to holiday and investigate various troublesome activities. In this story we find that Aubrey's not perfect--good to find a character that will grow!
Janet
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much that I couldn't wait for bedtime so I could read it. Then I kept wanting to read way past my bedtime. Now I've started #3.
Luke
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really enjoying this series & particularly love the almost scientific manner magic is treated within this universe.

A fantastic read.

Melody Violine
Aug 02, 2010 marked it as to-read
nunggu versi indonesia aja
TheOneAndOnlySam
Thoroughly enjoy this series to bits!
Riss
Kathy
Nov 14, 2014
Icedragon
Aug 15, 2013
  • Skyfall (Darklands, #2)
  • The Battle for Rondo (Rondo, #3)
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • Dreamwalker
  • Factotum (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3)
  • The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
  • The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower omnibus, #4-6)
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • The Bronze Pen
  • The Medici Seal
  • The Sky Village (Kaimira, #1)
  • The Blood Binding (Spellbinder #3)
  • The Princess of Trelian (Trelian, #2)
  • Devils and Realist, Tome 4 (Devils and Realist, #4)
  • Peter and the Kuroneko (War of Contractia, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
Michael Pryor's bio

I was born in Swan Hill, Victoria. I spent my childhood in country Victoria and Melbourne before moving to Geelong at the age of 10. I lived in Geelong until I went to university in Melbourne after secondary school.

I currently live in Melbourne with my wife Wendy and my two daughters Celeste and Ruby. I’ve worked as a drainer’s labourer, a truck driver, a bathroom accessories s
More about Michael Pryor...

The Laws of Magic (6 books)
  • Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic, #1)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Time of Trial (The Laws of Magic, #4)
  • Moment of Truth (The Laws of Magic, #5)
  • Hour of Need (The Laws of Magic, #6)
“This first part may be a little rough.' He waved a hand and did his best to appear as if he'd had enormous experience with levitating buildings.” 5 likes
“Aubrey Fitzwilliam knew that crisis was another word for opportunity.” 0 likes