Start by marking “A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)

A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  84,592 Ratings  ·  11,050 Reviews
This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog’s search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, A Dog’s Purpose touches on the universal quest for an answer to life’s most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden-haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mu
Published July 3rd 2010 by Pan Macmillan (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog's Purpose, please sign up.

Nancy I actually read the sequel first, then went back and read the first one. Absolutely loved them both and don't think it matters which order you read…moreI actually read the sequel first, then went back and read the first one. Absolutely loved them both and don't think it matters which order you read them in. Certain phrases will always stick with me from these books, and it gives me a possible window to my great dog's motivations. I enjoyed them immensely and they touched my heart.(less)
Cathy It has some sad parts, but overall, it's a 'feel good' book. It's worth the read

Chrissie
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It made me look at my own dog differently, wondering how it feels, how much it loves me, and what it thinks about his own life. I hope that all animals souls are like the ones in this book and I found myself laughing as much as I was crying while reading this book
W. Cameron
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book confirms what you know in your heart to be true, that love never dies, and that our animal friends are always with us.
Elyse
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update: For those who have been considering reading this book....
It's on sale today for $1.99 as a Kindle deal

I saw the movie ..Anyone else? Thoughts?
I thought it was well done....but it 'was'
sad and scary in a couple of scenes.
I'm aware of protestors...
And ... I'm still glad I saw it.

"I loved my world, the Yard. I loved running through the mud by the water trough, my paws making a dirty splatter that flecked my fur".

I've seen the movie trailer.....had picked up a new copy hardcover for a do
Heidi Brydon
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE TO MY UPDATE!

This book was one of the top five "Best Fiction" in the 2010 Goodreads Awards! It came in at number 4, beating out Jonathon Franzen's Freedom, which got a lot of hype. I'm so psyched that so many people agreed with me that this book was the best novel of 2010!

UPDATE TO MY REVIEW BELOW! I JUST FOUND OUT ON FACEBOOK THAT THIS BOOK IS NOMINATED FOR THE GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD OF 2010!!!! I hope all the people here who have loved it as much as I did will vote and it wins!

I got an
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

It’s time once a year for my library’s Winter Reading Challenge and my chance to score a FREEEEEEEE coffee mug. (Yes, I am the cheapest date you could ever imagine.) This year’s theme????

Basically any book that became a movie or television program. It turns out this is apparently the list of recommended reads I grab onto each year because I had read a bigly portion of the suggested titles (and had less than zero interest in some of t
F
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
5 stars not so much for storyline but for completely understanding dogs!
So emotional so many times. Dogs are the best.
Philip
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2ish stars.

As a dog owner (I have a 10-month-old Goldendoodle named Fritz, short for Fritzgerald, yes the extra 'r' is intentional) and lover, I enjoyed this book and found it somewhat heartwarming. As a book lover I recognize this book as cute but insubstantial and ultimately more cloying than inspirational. It's easy-to-read fluff that fulfilled its purpose as something to listen to on a road trip to Southern Utah and appease my wife.

Thoughts I had while listening: Dogs can be really annoyin
Cheri
I bought this book sometime in the past month or so based on several recommendations, it sat on the coffee table as a reminder, yet in all the time I never once read any reviews or previews of the story.
This afternoon I picked it up to read around noon and finished it just before 6pm tonight.
I loved the voice of "the dog," through every incarnation, from the very first lines "One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by Title and Cover
This story is bitter-sweet, sentimental to the extreme and stylistically almost childlike in its simplicity, exactly what I expected from a book titled ‘A Dog’s Purpose’. It didn’t disappoint. 4 stars for delivering such a charming piece of escapism, couldn’t put it down, polished it off in a day and a half.

And I just want to say to Toby, Bailey, Ellie & Buddy – Good Dog!
Susanna
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have or have ever had a dog in your life, PLEASE pick up this book. I tore through this in 48 hours with very little sleep and experienced the entire roller coaster of emotions.
Beth Allen
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew better than to believe the gushing reviews that said this was the best book ever written in the history of books, and that the author "accurately" captured what goes on in a (reincarnated) dog's mind. Really?

While cute and mildly entertaining, this novel is, at best, an easy-to-read, mediocre tale about this dog's lives, and his favorite owner. I just don't get the hype over it. Editorial reviews call this a tear-jerker. It tried, but failed to really pull at my heartstrings, and I am a
Charlie
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! After I finished reading it I couldn't decide whether to loan it to somebody else so they could experience it or read it again. I decided to buy two more copies so I could read it again while I loaned it to my boss and my roommate. The author has a website www.adogspurpose.com where my rottweiler Maverick was almost voted dog of the week (we lost to a puppy, such is life). I found out that the book is going to be a Dreamworks movie (anyone know a release date?) and ...more
Carolyn
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-stories, 2017
A lovely book about a dog looking for his purpose in life. He goes through four births/rebirths as the same soul in a different dog, adding his experiences and knowledge through the ups and downs of life as a dog. He wants to serve his human owners to the best of his ability even if they are cruel and thoughtless. His joy in being a dog shines through with his delight in running and explorng, his disdain of cats (who have no purpose that he can see) and his love for the special boy in his life. ...more
Amanda
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Dog's Purpose is the story of a dog with a deep affection for people and his search for his purpose in life. He begins life as a feral dog but is soon reborn and finds himself with an eight-year-old boy named Ethan. This book has the perfect balance of sentiment, humor, and suspense. Once I picked it up, I could not put it down. I love the ideas that everyone comes into each others' lives for a purpose and that the love continues even after death and the hope that we'll be reunited ev
Marisa
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
such a good book with so much emotion. you can really tell that the author took his time creating a dog with enough love and determination to make this story great.he did a marvelous job getting in to a dog's brain and interpreting the things they see and hear. i loved the ending to this book and i would recommend it to anyone who loves a wonderful book. great job W. Bruce Cameron! i truly loved it!
Jesica
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because failure isn’t an option if success is just a matter of more effort.

Before I start my review, I think I’ll post the picture of my four legged reading buddy, Mo, who often sit beside me as I read this book and enjoys being a front-seat dog as much as Bailey.

description

Let me ask a question. Have you ever think of what your purpose in your life? If not, well, you are beaten by a dog. This book tells of a dog who’s seeking it’s purpose in life through four lifetime. The story divided into four parts as
A Dog's Purpose is the first installment in W. Bruce Cameron's fiction, animal POV series titled A Dog's Purpose. Initially, I wasn't into this book. The simplicity of the writing is almost childlike as the narrator is a dog who is confused by human behavior and just wants to please in any way. However, animal reincarnation was an interesting spin that kept the story from stalling...and then the tears came for me about 2/3 of the way through. Finally, I was invested.

I didn't love A Dog's Purpos
Gus
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta reseña NO contiene spoilers.

La verdad es que no sabía con qué iba a encontrarme en este libro.
Quedé absolutamente fascinado.

La razón de estar contigo es una historia preciosa. Nos narra la peculiar vida de un perro y su incansable viaje tratando de descubrir cuál es su propósito en la vida. Algo así como un planteamiento de esas preguntas que todos llegamos a hacernos más de una vez: ¿Quiénes somos? ¿Cuál es nuestro objetivo?
¿Lo mejor? Todo el libro está narrado por el perro.

No me hace fa
Debra
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a cute book (told from the dog's POV) about one dog's search for purpose in life. Although in this book the dog wan't just one dog he was Toby,Bailey, Ellie, and Buddy. He was born, he lived, he died to be reborn again. In each of his lives he searches for his purpose.

This book was sad at times and happy at times. It also probably helped people to look at dogs, and other pets differently. There has always been a lot of talk about just what animals feel, are owners placing huma
Connor
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, dogs
[4.5 Stars]

My Video Review:

Christa Desrosiers
This is one of the best books I have read. Anyone who has ever had a dog needs to read this. It is funny and heartwarming.
Ken Foreman
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written from the perspective of a dog, "A Dog's Purpose" is just as much about people as it is dogs. The hardships, the joys, the loves and the losses we experience all define our purpose and our growth to a greater purpose. Reading the repeated lives of a dog through Toby, Bailey, Elle, and Buddy, I laughed and cried. Bruce Cameron is a masterful author who has captured the complexity of people's relationships with their pets and our struggle to understand ourselves, to give our lives meaning.

A
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Amazing.
John McDonnell
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Three Words, July 6, 2010
By John C. McDonnell

This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
I received a publisher's advance copy of W. Bruce Cameron's first novel, "A Dog's Purpose". In a word? Magnificent. OK, two words. Brilliant. Actually three. Soul.
Bruce Cameron has brought forth a magnificent, touching piece of a soul's journey through life in search of purpose and meaning. At times hilarious and yet other times heart breaking, Bruce brilliantly weaves a story of a dog and its quest th
Booklady
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Dog’s Purpose is one of the most fantastic, wonderful books I’ve ever read. Many have tried to write from the animal’s perspective, but Bruce Cameron has hit it head on. I’ve never experienced so many emotions while reading one book. I laughed, I cried, I cheered.

Put in the context of what is going on in my life right now, I was just waiting for A Dog’s Purpose. My son and his wife had to have their 15-year-old golden retriever put to sleep after a long and full life, a short time ago. Even t
Mary (BookHounds)
This book is one of the best dog books I have ever read and I read almost everything that has a dog on the cover, in the title or description. A Dog's Purpose is almost a religious experience where the dog in question goes through reincarnation and grows through each lifetime. I just adored it and found myself near tears as well as feeling so hopeful that this dog did indeed make a difference in the lives of many. Cameron nailed Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy's voice and developed that voice as the dog ...more
Lisa
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I don't just own a dog. I'm the sort of person who considers her chocolate labrador to be a member of the family, so it isn't a stretch for me to believe that a dog has thoughts and feelings. What is a bit too much for me is the idea of a reincarnated dog soul who uses words like "ignominy." And ultimately, though I was moved by the dog's desire to fulfill its purpose, I was disappointed in the narrative voice that Cameron develops for the main character. There simply isn't enough excitement or ...more
Cian O hAnnrachainn
We're not letting your wife pick books for the book club ever again.

You know we like her as a person. She's great craic, really, and the fact that she's fond of dogs is more apparent than ever.

But, sweet Jaysus, we're not fifteen years old, son, and we're not all girls in this book club. A dog's purpose? It's to have a soft mouth and retrieve the feckin' birds without eating them.

Following a dog's...what, its soul? Through multiple incarnations where the beast experiences the good and bad that h
Crystal
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not crying, you're crying
Mish
What a unique and heart-rending tale of a dog’s quest to find its purpose for its existence, with a voice and mannerism so childlike and highly convincing – it will make you believe that it’s written by a dog.

A Dog’s Purpose is like reading four short stories, each one of them highlights different scenarios of a dog’s lifestyle and outcome from stray, to child’s pet, to working dog. What ties them in together is that it’s based on a single dog, reincarnated over and over again so that it takes w
  • One Good Dog
  • For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend
  • Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale
  • Ever By My Side: A Memoir in Eight [Acts] Pets
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Show Dog: The Charmed Life and Trying Times of a Near-Perfect Purebred
  • Dogs I Have Met: And The People They Found
  • A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
I’ve always loved dogs, which puts me in a unique category along with what, maybe two or three billion people?

What’s not to love about an animal who will sit in your living room all day long, waiting for you to get home, and even if you need to work late and then stop for a stress-relieving beverage on your way home, when you unlock that front door, is absolutely overjoyed to see you? How could yo
More about W. Bruce Cameron...

A Dog's Purpose (3 books)
  • A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2)
  • A Dog's Way Home: A Novel

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Love in the Ruins
  • We're All Damaged
    $3.99 $1.99
“Because failure isn't an option if success is just a matter of more effort.” 139 likes
“Dogs have important jobs, like barking when the doorbell rings, but cats have no function in a house whatsoever.” 102 likes