Start by marking “Sex, Sushi, and Salvation: Thoughts on Intimacy, Community, and Eternity” as Want to Read:
Sex, Sushi, and Salvation: Thoughts on Intimacy, Community, and Eternity

Sex, Sushi, and Salvation: Thoughts on Intimacy, Community, and Eternity

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Jumping from adventure to adventure, Christian George takes the reader on a pointed journey, while three deepest hungers of the human heart are unearthed: the drive for intimacy, the comfort of community, and the expectation of eternity.
Published January 1st 2008 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Sushi, and Salvation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Sushi, and Salvation

Catherine
Aug 20, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I did wonder about this book when I saw it. A friend of mine has written it. I kind of thought 'Christian has written a book about Sex and Sushi? Help! Do I have to read it?' But I've read the first chapter or two and I've changed my mind. This guy is a great writer!
Paul
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people want something more out of life than just the right sneakers or an ipod. For them, feelings of intimacy, community and eternity are much more important. Here is one person’s attempt to find such things in daily life.

The author was part of a mission trip to Russia to set up a summer camp for local orphans. While he was there, he was propositioned by a Russian prostitute. He declined her offer, and she ran away in tears. She later told him that he was the first person to ever say no to
Amanda Birdwell
Mar 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I almost never give books a one rating if I actually bothered to finish them, and I feel badly doing this now, because the author seems ernest and nice. However, consider the following:

1. "Sushi holds me accountable in a way and prompts me to keep God at my center". (108)

2. "No one is good, not even a six year old boy... We humans are born with venom in our veins, injected by our great ancestors Adam and Eve and confirmed every time we lie or cheat". (143-144)

3. "Christ isn't an impotent Husband
Natalie
Feb 20, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Very good so far (started it and sent it to my sister for her birthday) - I love the vivid artistry and even poetry that the words have when conveying the pitfalls, beauty, and challenges of expressing, recognizing, and experiencing the gospel. True to the reviews - it has many life-slices that are not explicitly, but nevertheless, are connected around deep themes of intimacy, community, and eternity.
Emmanuel Boston
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A raw and rugged expression of the Christian faith. Backing away from overused cliches and euphemisms, George connects with contemporary culture in a way that gives God reverence and gives society relevance. An excellent writer that is able to effectively illustrate a portrait of these essentials of the faith effortlessly. Not the deepest read in the world, but one well worth anyone's time. It vividly projects Christianity in unexpected ways. Pick it up today.
Keith Ray
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written work that hold the reader's attention. George's style is engaging and entertaining. The content is doctrinally sound, thought provoking, convicting, and raw. This not a work about younger evangelicals, rather this is a book for younger evangelicals. An excellent blend of the old and the new. A great read that I will read again this year.
Bethany
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Christian George's writing style. It's engaging and funny. Yet he's strikingly profound in some moments. It's all about the human insatiable desires for intimacy, community, and eternity. Good read.
Sam Boychuk
All right, popcorn read. Really about intimatcy and community more than anything else. In small chapter sized servings - it would make a good plane read (Unless you like planes as much as me and need a more man sized book like the entire New Testament)
Jonathan Elwing
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great read -- reminds me of Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz but wrapped in a modern yet 1st century church approach to theology. The whole book challenges you to examine your relationship with God and the Church. Would highly recommend this!
Rachel
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Despite the weird title, this is an excellent Christian nonfiction book that is partly spiritual memoir and partly theological but down-to-earth discussion. It is a brilliantly written and is often highly funny as well as thoughtful and informative. I really enjoyed it.
Ashanti
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Beth
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Good food for thought.
Stephenie
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read that gives you a lot to think about. I loved the way George wove together stories of modern day culture with a desire to know Christ in a deeper, more authentic way.
Kenneth
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
refreshing, i yearn for more!
Mary Louise
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this guy is a friend of mine....so go buy the book!
Jo
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book, the title caught me - the writing kept me. Read it. It is refreshingly said.
Lesley Webster
Emma
Mar 07, 2008
Nikki
Sep 25, 2007
“A renewal movement is at work within our nation, a movement of reconciliation with God. In our nation’s short history there have been two great awakenings, and I believe the third is rising in the water. The water has come ashore, and soon it will splash across our desert land.” 0 likes