Start by marking “Kin” as Want to Read:
Kin

Kin (The Good Neighbors #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  3,773 Ratings  ·  494 Reviews
Rue Silver's mother is missing and her father is suspected of killing her. But it's not as simple as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother--instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her.
Published October 1st 2009 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kin, please sign up.

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Rue's mother has always been a little different. She talks to plants, hangs out naked in the yard and seems ageless. Rue knows her mother is not like other parents. But then, one day when her mom disappears, Rue begins to see strange things- creatures with horns in the coffee shop, a winged girl hanging out in the high school hallway- and she realizes that she's different too.

Where has her mother gone and is Rue going crazy?

"You know how sometimes, when you glance at something out of the corner
Cait (Paper Fury)
I'm a gargantuan Holly Black fan so it makes me kind of sad that I really didn't like this one. It was...jerky and I didn't like the artwork and the ending confused the EYEBALLS OUT OF ME. Plus = cliche. I mean, hello, a story about a girl whose mother goes missing and suddenly she starts seeing faeries so -- booyah -- obviously said girl is a faerie and must embrace her faeriesh destiny. HEARD IT A MILLION TIMES ALREADY. Consider me disappointed. Sadly.

Also the artwork did nothing for me. I hav
Michelle
My experience with reading Holly Black has been mixed. My first foray into her work was with the Modern Faerie Tale series - I sadly wasn't terribly fond of them. In grad school, I devoured her Curse Worker trilogy on audio and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, my reading experience with The Good Neighbors was more akin to when I first read her.

The first problem is the tired and cliché plot. Readers follow Rue, a girl who's always been able to see strange and mysterious things. Her father is
Frau G.
Aug 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was soll ich sagen? Eigentlich stehe ich ja auf Feen und Geschichten um Feen herum. Aber...
Die Zeichnungen sind grauselig. Sie gefallen mir gar nicht und sind nicht ansprechend. Die Personen haben viel zu oft Fratzen statt Gesichter, obwohl der Text eine ganz andere Sprache spricht.
Dann der Inhalt, Rues Vater wird angeklagt mindestens einen Mord begangen zu haben, während auch ihre Mutter plötzlich spurlos verschwunden ist. Und Rue geht trotzdem auf Partys? Macht einen drauf mit ihren Freunden?
Miriam
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, graphic
A teenage girl finds out she is part Faery. Sound familiar? That's because it has occurred in scores of YA fantasies, including earlier works by this same author. As a story, this is fine, but all the elements were too familiar to me from previous reading. Turning it into a graphic novel is a somewhat novel approach, but I wasn't that impressed by the execution of the artwork. The drawing style suits the story, but the many of the characters looked too much the same, and too old for high school. ...more
Jack
Nov 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, comics
Rue Silver's mother has just disappeared, her father has been arrested under suspicion of killing one of his graduate students. Things get worse when Rue starts seeing things that shouldn't be there -- strange people with animal heads and vines that cover whole buildings overnight. You see, Rue's mother is a faerie, and Rue's father broke a promise that he made to the faerie king, who is ready to take revenge for this slight out on the entire human race.

Writer Holly Black already has a strong fo
Shannon
This story is somewhat interesting though unoriginal, and it jumps around and tries to pack in WAY too much for a graphic novel. Artwork was ugly and inconsistent to the point where the main character remarks "that's the boy from the coffee shop" and I thought, "really?" and flipped back and they sort of look the same. The main character's face changes so often and gives such ugly expressions that it pulled me out of the story. I'm sorry, but I want nice artwork when I'm reading a graphic novel ...more
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Holly Black fans, Anime and Manga fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Anniston Public Library
While this was interesting storyline, but this was just to short for my tastes. I didn't care much for the artist either, his lines were to sharp and shading to dark. It's one of the main reasons I don't hold with buying Graphic Novels or comics. They're over priced and/or to short. So how was I finally able to read this? Local Library of course. Now though I'm wondering if they even have the next two volumes.
I don't recommend unless you have all three volumes; if you do then knock yourself out
Joan
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ughhh I just adore Holly Black 😍
Not gonna lie though, I was a bit skeptical about this book before reading it since I’m usually not a big graphic novel reader, but it turns out that Holly Black + graphic novel = super immersive world and very enjoyable story. All the qualities I love about her as an author translate very well into this format.
Kira Simion
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Pretty pictures, but too fast (clunky) and sometimes confusing of a plot.
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • A Flight of Angels
  • Life Sucks
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Good as Lily
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • The Waters & the Wild
  • Cairo
  • How Mirka Got Her Sword (Hereville #1)
  • The Blood of Carthage (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #19 Buffy Season 4)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Good Neighbors (3 books)
  • Kith (The Good Neighbors, #2)
  • Kind (The Good Neighbors, #3)
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” 119 likes
“You can always count on your family to love you. And to betray you. And then to feel guilty about it.” 15 likes