Start by marking “Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice” as Want to Read:
Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice

Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  376 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
ccording to a recent Time magazine cover story, 15 million Americans include some form of yoga in their fitness regimes-nearly twice as many as five years ago. This healing art balances the mind with the body, incorporating physical strength with mental fitness to reach a place of deep, lasting peace, harmony, and happiness. Christy Turlington discovered yoga at the age of ...more
Published October 9th 2002 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Living Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Yoga

Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for any Christians or Catholics interested in yoga but maybe afraid that it contradicts their religious beliefs. Christy Turlington is a Catholic who has extensively studied Eastern religions and has practiced yoga for many years.

Christly does an eloquent job of explaining not just the history of yoga, but also how the ancient practice is applicable in modern times.
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a very pretty book, written by a famously beautiful woman, about how to incorporate yoga practice into your life. It provides a nice, general introduction to all the different types of yoga and its rich history. Turlington is a very thoughtful narrator, and delves into her personal story to relate how she deepened her practice while also maintaining her strong Catholic faith. The book isn't instructional or technical at all, it is more a highly personal meditation on yoga, Ayurveda, and ...more
Wind Dreaming Yoga
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it
As you might expect this is a lovely book, with beautiful photos and layout to match (the hardcover one). I was skeptical "what could a supermodel have to say on the important matter of yoga?!? " but I was wrong. She is a true yogin, and again I am reminded that preconceived notions can lead me to prematurely judge a book by its cover. As illustrated by my yoga trainer, it is a worthwhile endeavour for a yoga teacher to read every book on yoga she or he can get a hold of.
Sarah Clarke-Smith
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous book. Accessible history and tenents of various types of yoga. A good starting off point for anyone intersted in enriching their basic knowledge and practice of yoga, but it should be followed up with actual asanas and techniques for the serious practitioner.
Ivy Giacchino-Berrocal
Feb 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Helped me decide to be a yoga teacher.
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book lead me to start a yoga practice. Beautiful insights into how Yoga can be incorporated into busy lives and from any religious background.
Andrea Hickman Walker
When I first saw this book (at Wordsworth) I thought that it was something I'd like to have. I'm always trying to do more yoga because (a) it's good for me and (b) it fits with my mental image of the person I want to be. I didn't buy it because (a) it was too expensive and (b) it was written by a model. I've never had a very good opinion of models. This is probably partly because all clothes are made to fit skinny women with excessively long legs and having to pay for clothes and then pay more t ...more
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
If she had finished the book at the chapter when she visited Afghanistan this rating would be a solid 5. However, the last chapters were quite self indulgent and talked alot about her expensive lifestyle, which really turned me off. The first half of the book was surprisingly insightful, she does have a degree in Eastern religions and that really came through in her writing. I learned some things I did not know and it was enjoyable. I could of gone without knowing about her bazillion dollar wedd ...more
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Easy to read and very pretty.
Dec 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: yogis, yoginis, Catholics, fans of ANTM
Really a 3.5 and better than I thought it would be. Truly, a pleasant surprise. For a full review:
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Lots of great stuff in here; def a bunch of stuff I already knew, but I love the layout, her story was good (part memoir-ish).
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
I love this so far. A really comprehensive, openhearted handbook for yoga, its history, limbs and modern incarnations, as well as an autobiographical account of the author's spiritual journey. It doesn't hurt that I've always been fascinated by freakishly beautiful people, so Turlington's life stories are totally compelling to me. And the writing is great.

I've read most of this now, except for some of the expository stuff. She really tries to pack everything in here - Tantra, Ayurveda, Feng sh
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Living Yoga" by model Christy Turlington relates her life of yoga and its effect on all aspects of being human. Turlington has traveled extensively, including India and Afghanistan. This book is about her fascinating spiritual journey. She talks about the origins of yoga, pilgrimages, breath, Ayurveda and compassion to name a few. The photographs are gorgeous and her execution of the postures inspiring.

My favorite chapter is about Vastu or Sacred Space and how to create it wherever you are. Sh
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. I was skeptical that a Supermodel would have anything worthwhile to say about a subject that seems so contrary to her chosen lifestyle. But she leads a dual life. This "coffee table book" is not only a primer on Yoga, Meditation, Chakras, Buddhism, Hinduism, Ayruveda, Pilgrimage, Mindfulness and Feng Shui, but it's also her story, which is interesting and inspiring itself. In addition, this book contains reflections on various yoga postures, especially the more complex on ...more
Jun 03, 2011 rated it liked it
I just couldn't get past knowing the author's background and lack of life experience to trust any advice on yoga whether from research or personal perspective. And with such little personal understanding of the different aspects and philosophies within yoga, I cannot judge its authenticity either. Would you go to a crackhead for financial advice? How about a prostitute for advice on marriage longevity? Well then don't ask a runway model to teach you how to reach enlightenment of mind and soul ri ...more
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Karen
Shelves: yoga
Turlington's path to yoga is a big part of this book. I found it very interesting and was surprised by how much I have in common with this supermodel. (There is really nothing supermodelish about me.) There was a lot of clearly written information about the history of yoga and how it connects to Eastern religious tradition. There was not a lot of real instruction or guidance about how to "create a life practice," but there was a very insightful story of how Turlingon did it. Her thoughts on how ...more
Cat Woods
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don't be sceptical! I know a book on yoga by a supermodel sends out all sorts of warning alarms, but in fact, Christy Turlington is a student of comparative religions, a questioning and highly articulate writer and yogi. She manages to interweave her own personal experience of discovering yoga and handling illness and death in her family with her exploration of the culture and history of yoga.
I credit this book for inspiring a real passion for reading more on the spirituality and history of yoga
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is part memoir, part yoga practice and theory with good information on the history of the practice.

Photos are good. The author includes a Glossary (helpful for beginners) and a Bibliography for further investigation.

I found Chapter 18 on Vastu especially helpful. The author describes the 4,00 year old Indian practice that predates Feng Shui.

Pragya Bhatt
Jun 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
I picked this up thinking that I would get more insight into how to deepen my daily yoga practice...and perhaps some pointers on how to make the philosophy more entertwined with my daily life. But it turned out to be a memoir of a rich supermodel. Didn't really like the book because it didn't really teach me anything new.
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall I think it was a great book. It's a fast read since Turlington's style of writing is really engaging. A few of the yoga terms/philosophy contradicted what I was taught but there are so many lineages of Yoga that's understandable. If you're interested in Yoga and also Christy Turlington's life it's a great book to pick up.
Karen Wynder
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I learned a lot about the history and different backgrounds of yoga and I loved the photographs of basic to advanced poses. My favorite parts were when she incorporated yoga into specific stories of her life.
Amy Sjoquist
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: inspiration
interesting, didn't read it all
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
A contemplative and reflective book about the power of yoga practice - the asanas and the meditations - for the author.
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Super juicy stuff. If you're interested in the deeper side of yoga, the mental side for sure check this book out.
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very good book on the reasons for a personal yoga practice.
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
i liked this book mostly. some of the history surrounding yoga was really interesting, some i found snoozy. i loved the photos of the asanas and i loved hearing some of her life experiences.
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really learned a lot about yoga. It was also nice that it was sprinkled with personal anecdotes
Aug 01, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: aspiring yogis
I liked the book best in the beginning - when it really focused on yoga - its principles and incorporating them into your lifestyle. When the book became more memoir, she lost me.
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was ok

if you like looking at people (too hot for life) do impossible poses...this ones for you! miss turlington takes us through her catholic upbringing. snore.
Jennifer Briggs
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
It was informative and of course the pictures are awe inspiring.
  • Yoga
  • The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya
  • American Veda: From Emerson and the Beatles to Yoga and Meditation How Indian Spirituality Changed the West
  • Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life
  • Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind,and Heart (Compass)
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Total Yoga
  • Yoga for Pain Relief: Simple Practices to Calm Your Mind and Heal Your Chronic Pain
  • Essential Yoga: An Illustrated Guide to over 100 Yoga Poses and Meditation
  • Hatha Yoga Illustrated: For Greater Strength, Flexibility, and Focus
  • The End of Sorrow (The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, #1)
  • Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi: My Humble Quest to Heal My Colitis, Calm My ADD, and Find the Key to Happiness
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • Meditations from the Mat: Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga
  • Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows the Way to Radiant Health and Personal Fulfillment
  • Awakening the Spine
Christy Nicole Turlington is an American model best known for representing Calvin Klein fragrances since 1987. She has also worked on various campaigns for Maybelline Cosmetic and Giorgio Armani, has appeared in several films about the fashion industry and was a co-founder of the now defunct Fashion Café.
More about Christy Turlington...

Nonfiction Deals

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be