Start by marking “Secrets of Paris” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Paris

Secrets of Paris

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  955 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Irresistible, long sought by readers, and now in paperback for the first time, Secrets of Paris shows New York Times bestselling author Luanne Rice at her most incandescent — a deeply moving story of true love, abiding friendship, and a once perfect marriage in precarious balance.
Lydie McBride has always embraced life to the fullest. But when an unthinkable tragedy strikes
Published January 25th 2011 by Bantam (first published June 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Paris

Dinjolina
*facepalm*

How do I find these books? I think my librarian is a secret cheating buff and wants to spread the love.

Any way….this hero has won the asshat award of the year…no! The century!
I think the only way he can be topped is if a man cheated on his wife while he had cancer. And was pregnant. And dying because he wanted the baby making her inable to get chemo.
Well..no. I think Michael and that hypothetical dude are almost on the same level.

And you know what? Maybe it is just me , but if my man d
Yvonne
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A different kind of book for me, but interesting.
Ana Luisa
A minha estreia com esta autora! Quanto a este livro estou um pouco sem saber o que dizer, por um lado amei cada página, por outro apetece bater numa das personagens. E talvez seja esta a razão de ter gostado tanto deste livro. Não há nada melhor que um livro que nos consiga preencher e fazer transbordar os nossos sentimentos e foi mesmo isso que se passou durante esta leitura. Foi um pouco mais lenta que o normal, mas não estar a gostar, mas sim porque não queria que nenhum pormenor me escapass ...more
Ne
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uma estreia bastante infeliz. Este deve ser o mês das expectativas falhadas e agora Luanne Rice também se inclui na lista com este volume.
Não sou fã de romances baseados em casais já casados e por isso a fasquia já ai não começou alta, mas como tinha tão boas referências da escritora decidi começar por esta obra.
Tal como a sinopse o inicio também não prometeu muito por isso a leitura foi sendo feita sempre ao mesmo ritmo - lenta. Esta obra, na minha opinião, é bastante monótona, com toda aquela
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Alexis-Morgan by: alexisroark@sbcglobal.net
I had issues with this book because the cheating happened over such a long period of time. Michael is such a freaking idiot!

Do the vows not say, "For better or for worse?" The heroine lost her father to a murder-suicide less than a year ago, and her own mother was in denial about the incident itself.

I will NEVER understand infidelity no matter how authors try to make us feel sorry for the stupid as* cheating liars!!

Ok. I feel better now. Of course, one could argue, "for better or for worse," but
Vickie
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lydie and Michael move to Paris, he as an architect and she as a photographer. They left behind an extremely emotional situation with Lydie's family and both hope this move with help them heal and move on in life.

I love settings in Paris; many times I am on my iPad looking up places mentioned in the book and printing out info to put in my Paris folder for my return trip someday. I enjoyed the emotional trip for both the main characters but I didn't fully enjoy the secondary characters of Patrice
Trisha
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am a fan of Luanne Rice, but I am not a fan of this book. It was just okay. I didn't care about the characters: Lydie, who is trying to come to grips with her father committing murder-suicide after having an affair; her husband Michael, who thinks it's a good idea to whisk his wife away from her mother--who needs her after the shocking tragedy--so he can work on a project at the Louvre and oh yes- have his own affair; Patrice, a self-centered American ex-pat married to Didier, a wealthy jewele ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secrets of Paris by Luanne Rice
Have read the authors other works and have loved them all.
Seductive tale of the city and what it holds for everyone if you look for it.
Lydie and Michael work and live in Paris, married for 8 years.. She sets up photo shots and her husband is an architect working on the Louvre.
Her father had killed himself and his lover. She used to race his cars as he fixed them for others as a mechanic.
She meets Patrice-an American in the city and they speak of her Philippine mai
Donna Mcnab
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Michael McBride gets a job at The Louvre in Paris, he expects his wife, Lydie, to be happy. However, she is reluctant to leave her mother, as they have recently had a tragedy in the family with which Lydie hasn't been able to come to terms, and also she thinks that she should be close to her mother, who is hurting. They do go to Paris for a year, however, where Lydie makes friends with an ex-pat American woman, and Michael becomes enamoured with an alluring French woman. Just relax and enjo ...more
Michele
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I always enjoy books that include a Paris setting, and the places described in this book were authentic enough, yet I wanted more depth when it came to characters. Unexpected family tragedy and difficult relationships, marriage, romance and heartbreak, friendships and trust, professional success and failure, all while living abroad, seemed like a lot to cover in one book.
Karen
Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it
OK to read but I didn't feel sympathetic toward any of the characters. The setting and the synopsis offered a lot, but the author didn't deliver.
Karen San Diego
I wrote this review for the sole purpose of defending Filipinos.

Okay, fine, the book review first. At the beginning, I loved it. The writing was good, the graphic depiction of Paris was flawless. The portrayal and character of Lydie and Patrice were fascinating. The disintegration of Lydie and Michael's marriage was heartbreaking, but I respected Michael when he told her about his affair rather than went on with it behind her back. How Luanne Rice described how they grew apart was great and hear
Mafalda
Aqui é-nos apresentada a história de Lydie e de Michael, um casal americano, ela designer, ele arquitecto, que foram passar um ano a Paris. Ele tinha um projecto em mãos no Louvre, que resolveu aceitar numa tentativa também de afastar a mulher dos seus fantasmas. Porém, ela nunca os deixou completamente. Quanto isso afectará o casamento deles?
Nesta viagem Lydie faz uma amiga, Patrice, uma mulher americana que casou com um francês, dono de uma das melhores joalharias de França! E ainda conhecemos
Jeanne (love2cook)
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was an okay story. Lydie McBride and her husband Michael moved to Paris for a year so he could design a project for the Louvre. Lydie is still trying to come to terms with the death of her father. She has found out her husband has broken her trust and had an affair with a French woman. Now she has to figure out if she really wants him back or not. In the mean time she has made two special friends, Patrice an American married to a French man, and Kelly a Filipino hoping to get a visa to Amer ...more
Robin
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: france
I have been reading books set in Paris. This was one of my least favorite but I did finish it. I found the husband to be hopelessly selfish. I do not like stories that involve extra marital affairs. Once a liar; always a liar. I found it unbelievable that the main character went back with him so quickly after learning of the affair. Of course I loved information about living in Paris.
Gail
My first Luanne Rice, found it for a bargain at a Dollar General - I'd been wanting to try her but this one was so stupid that I threw it against the wall after a couple of chapters.

Convoluted and ridiculous. I'm not big into women's fiction/contemporary women's fiction, that sort of genre, and if this is indicative of her writing I'm leaving the building.
donna richard
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets of Paris by Luanne Rice

When I start reading a novel & can't put it down until I finish it, it is a great story. Loved the characters & the flow of the storyline, now I have to share it do my daughter can enjoy it also!!
earline harvey
Review

Did not enjoy. Very difficult to get interested, very wordy and not enough substance. Would not recommend to friends or relatives.
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Did not like the cheating husband one bit especially with a psycho! and then the wife takes him back... so fast... Gets 2 stars because main character is good at her job, that's about it.
Megan
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG Another Good Book By Luann Love Her Books. Was A Page Turner. 😍
Margarida
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Quando o seu pai comete o suicídio e arrasta consigo para a morte a amante, Lydie sente-se perdida e sem conseguir encontrar um rumo para a vida. Michael, o seu marido, quer ajudá-la, mas a jovem acaba por fechar-se, afastando-o. Quando Michael consegue um trabalho no Louvre, vê a sua oportunidade para conseguir animar um pouco Lydie. Só que esta, apesar de aceitar ir com o marido, não se mostra nem um pouco entusiasmada com a ideia de passar um ano em Paris.
No entanto, a sua passagem por Paris
Tina
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Just having the word Paris in the title of this book grabbed my attention. After reading a short synopsis, I requested it through the Goodreads giveaway program. I love reading novels set in France and Italy so, I felt fortunate to be the recipient of this book – free of charge!

Secrets of Paris is a story of friendship and a troubled marriage. Lydie, one of the main characters, moves to Paris with her husband Michael in a cultural exchange program. Michael is an architect with an assignment to r
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Luanne Rice tem uma escrita poderosa e assertiva, constrói estórias plausíveis mas encantadoras que cativam até à última página. Este romance foi a exceção. Na verdade, considero esta obra bastante insípida e nada apaixonante. A própria sinopse acaba por superar o enredo, o que não é de facto um bom presságio.

A caracterização do cenário envolvente, normalmente um ponto forte da autora, não me convenceu. O ambiente de Paris não foi espelhado
Susan
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
There was so much I liked about this book: the Paris setting, the strong (yet flawed) female leads, the depiction of the often tenuous nature of love, life, and friendship. Lydie McBride and her husband Michael are in Paris for a year because of his gig as an architect, designing a welcome center at the Louvre. Lydie's just gone through a traumatic experience with her dad's death and the complications behind it (an affair and the murder of his lover and himself). She's hoping Paris might be her ...more
Machel
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to read this early novel from my favorite writer, Luanne Rice. Just re-printed again this year. Will pick that up next! February is going to be a great month of fabulous reading. m

UPDATE: Secrets of Paris I just recently re-read again on my Chicago trip. And, I must say that this is now in my top 3 favorite books of Luanne Rice. I just loved Lydie. I liked the stories of the women friendships and trying to help the housekeeper fullfill her dream of making it to America.

Set in Paris,
Author Groupie
I'm always curious as to how someone discovers a new read. Was it due to an intriguing review? A friend's suggestion? A gift? In this case, I stumbled across Rice's Secrets of Paris while perusing the bookshelves at the condo where we were staying in Florida. I was hoping for a light read, and this is exactly what I found in the pages.
This novel is a story of a married couple who recently transferred to Paris after a tragic death in the family. What ensues is betrayal, discovery, and a new lease
Elphaba J
À luz de uma desgraça e de uma solução, heis que Paris é o princípio de uma resposta para sarar feridas que parecem eternas, no entanto, para lá do brilho que preenche a cidade do Louvre nascem confidências e desejos que avançam um passo adiante do destino encerrando todas as esperanças e prevalecendo, unicamente, a fuga e a promessa de redescobrimento para o amor.

Segredos em Paris, como romance, é complexo extravasando algumas normas que na vida real nos deixariam derrotadas ainda assim, para l
Julie Barrett
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Secrets of Paris by Luanne Rice
This is a story about Lydie who has moved to Paris with her husband. He's in the architecture business and she sets up shoots for photographing. She was reluctant to come to Paris as her father and mistress had died in a car crash a year ago and she wanted to console her mother.
She did meet an American woman at a cafe one day and they became friends.
Patrice's husband is into selling jewelry and he asks for Lydie's help in a ball at a mansion. She scurries the count
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book was extremely difficult for me to finish, unfortunately. Honestly, I would pick it up, read a few pages, and then put it thankfully aside in order to happily read a more entertaining story instead. In the early pages, I was turned off by the choppy, short sentences and unknown, unpronounceable (for me, anyway) French words. Finally, after about 95 pages, the story began to hold my attention in a limited way. I still had to put it down frequently, during particularly boring passages, bu ...more
Kate Widhalm
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is the very first Luanne Rice novel that I have read but I should clarify that I probably wouldn't have picked this book up if I didn't acquire it from the Early Reviewers Program. With that said, I thought the book was just okay. This was not a book that I could sit and read in one sitting and I had no real connection with the characters until about half way through.

The book is about Lydie and Michael who have moved to Paris for a year while Michael, who is an architect, works on the Louv
  • Don't Forget Me (Konigsburg, #6)
  • Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective, Volume II
  • True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris
  • A Secret Splendor & Above and Beyond
  • The Surrender of a Lady
  • Song of Renewal
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Vegas Sunrise (Vegas, #3)
  • The Widows of Wichita County
  • The Outlaw's Return (The Women of Swan's Nest, #3)
Luanne Rice is the New York Times bestselling author of thirty-two novels including THE SECRET LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, her first YA novel. Five of her books have been made into movies and mini-series, many have been New York Times bestsellers and two of her pieces have been featured in off-Broadway theatre productions. She divides her time between New York City and the Connecticut shoreline.
More about Luanne Rice

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Golden Notebook
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Ten Thousand Saints
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
  • The Secret Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99