Start by marking “Winter of the Ice Wizard” as Want to Read:
Winter of the Ice Wizard

Winter of the Ice Wizard (Magic Tree House #32)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  4,196 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
JACK AND ANNIE, joined by Teddy and Kathleen (from earlier books), travel in the Magic Tree House to a land of snow where the Ice Wizard has captured Morgan and Merlin. The four friends must find the Ice Wizard's missing eye . . . or is it really his heart that is missing? From the Hardcover edition.
Published June 15th 2010 by Random House Children's Books

Anna
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Jack and Annie's last adventure was on the summer solstice. Now it is the first day of winter and Merlin sends them on a journey, along with friends Teddy and Kathleen, to the Land Behind the Clouds, an icy, frozen place. As it turns out, an Ice Wizard, the Wizard of Winter, actually tricked them into coming on the journey. He has enchanted Merlin and Morgan le Fay and he wants the children to recover his lost eye. If they bring it back to him, he will return Merlin's Staff of Strength to him.

Th
Maya Orama
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing ! A brother and sister named Jack and Annie was going on an adventure. They both need to save Merlin and Morgan from the evil ice wizard. It was early in the morning when Jack and Annie woke up. They both got up and headed into into the frog creek woods so they can go into the magic tree house. They went into the magic tree house and found a book on the floor. It said, the magic ice kingdom. Jack and Annie said that that is where Morgan and Merlin is located. They both wish ...more
Cathy
Norse mythology, yay! But I don't think my little guy even knew that; when I mentioned that Osborne had a book of Norse mythology a few weeks ago he didn't know what that was.

I enjoyed the four adventures into the world of myth and magicians. It was a fun change of pace.
Aswin
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is so boring to read. But the pictures and the cover page was nice. It attracts me when i saw the book,but after reading the book I realized it was boring. But the first 2 chapters and the last chapter was interesting,but at the middle it slowly started boring.
Edward Creter
The Ice Wizard has tricked our stalward heroes Jack and Annie into finding his missing eyeball in their strangest (and goriest-sounding) adventure yet! How will this end? Personally I'd "give my right eye!" OOOPS! Keep it here, fans, until magic number 33!
Andrew
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cool
Marrie
I loved this series as a kid. It was one of the first things that really got me into reading. I thought it might be interesting to reread this book, since it was one of my favourites from the series when I was a kid. Also, I'm doing a readathon and this is short, haha. This book was still really fun and engaging. If I ever have kids, I'll definitely read this series to them.
Kenzie
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where is Merlin and Morgan Le Fay?
Jack and Annie will have to save them but how?
When a ice wizard demands there help in order to give them back there friends they will have to find his eye.
And a giant is protecting it!
Will they make it?
This book is ten out of ten great and funny and super action packed totally awesome!
Mia Giarritano
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because it was very exciting and Morgan and Merlin were there and they were the wolves all along. I also liked the Norns.
April
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mim-on-own
The girl devours the Tree House books!
Isabel Orama
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing! It's about two kids and they are brother and sister. There names are Jack and Annie. Merlin and Morgan gives them missions to complete so they can be master librarians.

Anyway, this book is about a brother and sister named Jack and Annie. This book is number 32. The book is about a brother and sister. They went on a mission to find the winter wizards eye so they can free Merlin and Morgan. The winter wizard sends them to find his eye from the frost giant. If they look at it
Rachel
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-series
In the Magic Tree House book Jack and Annie are sent on a journey with their friends Teddy and Kathleen. Merlin sends them to the Land Behind the Clouds, which is a very frigid, frozen place. They don't know it, but the Ice Wizard tricked them into this journey. He cast a spell on Merlin and Morgan le Fay. The wizard wants the children to find his eye. If they find it and bring it back to him he will give Merlin his staff back. On their journey the encounter wolves, Norns which are the equivalen ...more
Simon
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adventure chilled me from the imagery of ice and snow. It has that magical effect.
I found it really cool that Jack and Annie had aged. I always wondered what that was all about, because some of the covers depict Jack and Annie being the same age, and some make them seem much older.

In the first book, Annie was 7 and Jack was 8 and a half. Now, in book 32, Annie is 9 and Jack is 10.

A nice 2 years have gone by, I love that, when in reality it has been 12 years.

If the time of the book coincided
Grace
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty good
Rubi
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hey, don't yell at my sister!" said Jack....
Annie shivered. "I'm cold," she said.
"Here--take my scarf," said Jack.....
How cute is that?! Those moments of closeness between Jack and Annie were what made this story great to me. Jack seems so be getting braver and braver the more he travels to Camelot.
This story doesn't merely involve legends but carries very important messages about forgiveness and taking care of one's siblings and working together.
I was surprised at the bit of selfishness the k
Julesmarie

This was only my second Magic Tree House book I've read, and I was a little let down after how surprised I was at how good the first one I read was.

The illustrations were still fantastic as in the other one. However, the other thing I loved about that was that it seemed as historically accurate as is possible for a children's fantasy story to be.

Perhaps it's because I accidentally read the author's note before reading the story that I was so disappointed. In that note, she mentions bei
Angie
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Synopsis: "Jack and Annie, joined by Teddy and Kathleen, travel in the Magic Tree House to a land of snow where the Ice Wizard has captured Morgan and Merlin. The four friends must find the Ice Wizard's missing eye... or is it really his heart that is missing?"

My Review: I really enjoyed this book in the series, more than the previous Merlin Missions books. I really enjoy how Osborne integrated so many Nordic myths into one smooth story. It is quite the adventure for Jack and Annie, with some he
Ri
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2014
Annie and Jack are sent to the Land Behind the Clouds, a land of ice by Merlin. However, it turns out the the Ice Wizard, the wizard of winter, had tricked the two into coming for a selfish reason. He sends the two off to retrieve his lost eye, in return for Merlin's Staff of Strength.

I quite liked this book... I guess it's been a while since I've read anything from Magic Tree House. I'd seen the book, remembered how much I used to love the series, and picked it up. This is a pretty old book, an
Noah
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They went to a world in the clouds to save Merlin and Morgan. They had to save them because the ice wizard cast a spell on them so they were white wolves. I learned that Kathleen was a seal. So she could speak the selkie language. the norns told them a lot of stuff so they could find the ice wizards eyeball. Teddy and kathleen brought his sister back and they talked to each other since she was not there for years. To get the eyeball they had to go to the hollow hill where the frost giant lived. ...more
Patti K
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I think my standard review for the Merlin Missions will mostly be 3.5 stars. I like them, but it's tough when the person who is supposed to be enjoying them isn't quite at the age range. The original series was easier to read to a nearly 4yo. She's doing better with the Merlin Missions now, though; I think after we finally finished the Halloween story she realized that the scary parts aren't necessarily scary unless you let them be - interestingly, this particular story talked about fear of the ...more
Duke2026
I thought this book was good because Jack and Annie are trying to help out two friends Morgan and Merlin.My favorite part of this book was when the white wolfs became Morgan and Merlin.You should read this book because this book has a great adventure and Jack and Annie took a sacrficse for two friends Morgan and Merlin.I loved the part when the wolves turned in to Morgan and Merlin.In the begning Jack and Annie went to find the Ice Wizards eye.In the middle they found the frost giant.In the end ...more
Shannon
Interesting "Good Gal" take on Morgan le Fay. I always thought she was King Arthur's nemesis.

Inside Cover:
Merlin the magician and Morgan le Fay have mysteriously disappeared! To find them, Jack and Annie journey with their friends Teddy and Kathleen to a frozen kingdom of ice and snow. There they must go on a mission for the one-eyed Ice Wizard. Chased by wolves and braving terrible storms, they have only two things to help them -- a magic rope and the Ice Wizard's strange rhyme: "Take my sleig
Brittany
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and his little sister Annie are two regular kids from Frog Creek, Pennsylvania... until they discover a mysterious tree house full of all sorts of books. From that point on their lives will never be the same again! They soon go on amazing adventures (plus children are learning bits of history and most don't realize it) as they travel through time with the help of the magic tree house. The chapters are short with pictures every few pages, making these books perfect for the beginning reader. ...more
Mindy
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the fourth Merlin Mission book in the Magic Tree House series. We went from the Summer Solstice in the last book to the Winter Solstice in this book. My children enjoyed learning about that. There was a lot of really good imagery in this book. I also love that the Merlin Mission books in the series seem to have a lot of great symbolism and this particular one had an abundance of foreshadowing which is fun to teach my children about! This book was based on several Norse myths which w ...more
Shelli
The Magic Tree House books are a MUST READ collection for all children. Unlike many other series for young readers, the Magic Tree House should be read in chronological order to best appreciate Jack and Annie's travels through time as they go on various missions; which are typically completed in four parts. Parents and educators will enjoy going along for the ride as much as their students! My daughter is a teenager now but she still gets excited when she sees a new tree house adventure has come ...more
Leto
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie went to another mythical place about an Ice Wizard north of the cove of the selkies. It was very icy and cold. They were looking for Teddy and found him. Teddy is a boy that accidentally turned into a dog. They found the Ice Wizard's castle made of ice blocks. The Ice Wizard wrote Merlin to give him back his eyeball.

I liked this book because of the journey of finding the eyeball. There was also a surprise for Jack and Annie and two wolves that were Morgan and Merlin.

[reviewed by
Ashwini Baranwal
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tiny
Daughter says this book was adventure with the kids going to magical lands.
Brandyn
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bryan
Bryan says it was a little scary because Marilyn and Morgan were by the Ice Wizard and turned into wolves. They tried to eat Annie and Jack. Then they tried to follow because they wanted them to know who it was. My favorite part was when I was laughing at these girls who had long noses (like they were in the kitchen and they go all the way to the bedroom). They were called fatties. (mom reads and it says Sisters of Fate. Hahahaha!) They are called Norns.
Lara
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ice Wizard gave Jack and Annie a quest to find his eye. And Morgan and Merlin were under a spell! And they were chasing Jack and Annie and Teddy and Kathleen all over to try to help them. But they didn't look like Morgan and Merlin. Jack and Annie went to the Sister Fates house and then to the Frost Giant's house, and that is where the eye was. At the end, the ice wizard found his sister, and he was nicer.
Eagle
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book I read was:Winter of the Ice Wizard.If you like mystery or magic then you will enjoy this book.The characters are Annie,Jack,Merlin,Morgan,Teddy,Kathleen,Ice Wizard,Nouns,and Frost Giant.It is at Jack and Annie's home.Events trying to fined the Wizards eye.It ends when Annie,Jack,Merlin,Morgan,Kathleen,and Teddy go home and to the tree house.More of the books have famous people. It will give you more knowledge and scheme.
  • Titanic (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #7)
  • The Panda Puzzle (A to Z Mysteries, #16)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Stanley and the Magic Lamp (Flat Stanley, #2)
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)