Start by marking “Rapid Chess Improvement” as Want to Read:
Rapid Chess Improvement

Rapid Chess Improvement

A book for all enthusiastic adult players. Michael de la Maza reveals the secrets of a unique study plan which he used to transform his level of play in just a twelve month period.
Published June 1st 2002 by Everyman Chess

To ask other readers questions about Rapid Chess Improvement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapid Chess Improvement

Start your review of Rapid Chess Improvement
Eric
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: chess
Checked this out from the library, and I'm sort of glad I didn't buy it. There's really only about 25-30 pages of actual content in here, the rest is attestations, background, and his personal story. At times, the book reads like an infomercial.

That said, those 25-30 pages are extremely valuable. If you follow de la Maza's recommendations to the letter, you'll be spending many hours per day over the span of five months training yourself to play better. While I expect very few will go whole hog
Michael
Jun 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
A ton of bullshit. If you're willing to spend 6 hours a day studying chess, no matter what you do, you're going to get a lot better fast. What he did is nothing special. I'd argue that given his training regimen, his improvement was paltry.
Ernest Cadorin
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chess
Check out my video at https://youtu.be/1oxewZhB0l4 to find out more about the book and about my experience while working through the program.
Killer of Dreams
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mensa wannabees
Outside of Maurice Ashley's outdated chess tutorial software, i have yet to find anything wonderfully exceptional in teaching chess or learning chess. Maybe using a word such as revolutionary would suffice. Few people have the patience to prepare fo ranything (marriage, war, career, etc) but those who do hold the advantages before engaging. This book and the concepts withing are the strongest yet to develop the new mind for the adventure of chess. Although it is marketed to the younger crowd, ...more
Adrian Alvarez
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I realize the importance of drills when it comes to fluid tactical play, particularly in early ratings, which is where I stand, and while the ideas presented here are somewhat useful I couldn't get past the infomercial style presentation, nor the reduction of chess elements into some kind of extended 80s training montage. Chess is an art, which means, for me at least, this book's attitude was an absolute turn off.
Richard
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has almost no actual chess knowledge in it. It is a 100 pg piece of advice to do tactics. The claim is that if you finish a certain program (CTART 3.0) in a certain period of time, you will achieve the level of expert.

Borrow this book if you can. It will give you an insight into the dedication chess tactics mastery requires.
Serge Pierro
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: chess
This book is hardcore. I did the program and saw a huge improvement in my tactical ability. However, it is quite grueling in the later stages, and it was not uncommon to have headaches afterwords. The program works - if you are capable of completing it! (The concept is 5 stars, but the book itself is padded with "fluff"... thus 3 stars)
Jim
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
At one time I was a member of the Knights Errant a support group for people doing the circles.....

discription as discussed by BDK

Randal Figgins
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
For the intended audience, I would give this book a five-star star rating. However, as mentioned by many other reviewers, there is a lot of fluff in this book. For that, I dropped a star because I found the fluff annoying .
Jeremy W
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Good plan on how to get better, although doesn't need to be followed to the letter!
Daniel
« previous 1 3 next »

• Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • How to Become a Straight-A Student
  • Meditações de Marco Aurélio
  • Epitecto, Uma Nova Interpretação de Sharon Lebell. A Arte de Viver - O Manual Clássico da Virtude, Felicidade e Sabedoria
  • The Subjection of Women
  • On Liberty
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity: Forces That Bring Riches to You
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19)
  • This Census-Taker
  • Be What You Wish
  • Taking the Red Pill: Science, Philosophy and Religion in The Matrix
  • Trettioåriga kriget
  • LAW OF ATTRACTION: Scarcity No More: Powerful Techniques & Strategies to Develop An Abundance Mindset
  • Harness Your Quantum Spirituality And Make It Work For You (Law of Attraction Book 1)
  • How to Become Financially Free in Less Than 6 Months