Start by marking “The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  733 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
At last! The cookbook based on the bestselling The Paleo Diet Dr. Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet has helped thousands of people lose weight, keep it off, and learn how to eat for good health by following the diet of our Paleolithic ancestors and eating the foods we were genetically designed to eat. Now this revolutionary cookbook gives you more than 150 satisfying recipes ...more
Published November 19th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Paleo Diet Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paleo Diet Cookbook

Sarah Jane
I prefer the "Primal Blueprint" diet, which allows me to eat cheese and butter. Eh.
Cecilia
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
One of my blog followers sent this to me as a recommendation to review. I did. It was interesting as I didn't know anything about it before. But unfortunately as I told my blog readers, I really don't cook and anything I do is by the good grace of whatever guy that is around me who does 100% of the cooking with proper recipes....

So this time, it managed to introduce the concept of Sweet potato chips to my diet for a month or so....and that was the extent of it.

Some people swears by it...but I al
Ruri Gokou
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Pretty much goes over what was done in his The Paleo Diet book. It was a nice refresher but to be honest I bought the book because it's a cookbook. Being someone who can't cook well, I was disappointed to find that it didn't include ANY photos for the recipes. Would have been nice to spark interest in the recipe.
Martha Smith
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is both an educational text as well as a cookbook. I enjoyed reading the book. The principles in the book have reversed a lot of my health problems. It was well researched. the only downside is there were not a lot of photographs.
Sandra
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It had some nice & easy recipes. It also had a great start for a newbie to paleo eating with a two weeks menu plans. There was also a resource for wild game or exotic meats.
Eric Roberts
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This has some really great recipes in it
Gato
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Good practical tips.
Ami
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cook-books, 2017
Lackluster presentation with uninspired recipes and NO pictures; not a one. Well, besides the cover that is. Which is a shame since it was that cover art that caught my eye at the library.
Sorento62
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't agree with all of Cordain's pseudo science, but the cookbook looks like a good source of low carb, low sodium recipes.
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-books
This book gives a great summary of the Paleo diet that could be very useful for patients that are very ill and cannot read very much.

The author's website contains interesting info about why eggs, capsicum, eggplant and tomatoes should also be avoided. It'd be great if this info had been in the book.

I disagree with the authors very-low salt stance and would advise them to read about unrefined sea salt and the work of Dr Brownstein on the many myths about salt and low-salt diet scaremongering (and
Diane S ☔
Feb 22, 2013 rated it liked it
As of right now I have one daughter who is Vegan, one who is vegetarian and a son who has decided to follow this diet. The book is great at laying out exactly what the benefits are of this diet, the recipes are fairly easy, and I have made a few and there is one smoothie I absolutely love. That said I could more easily be vegetarian, because in this diet one has to give up potatoes and grains, vegans cannot eat cheese, so it would be easier to just give up the meat. Just saying.
Angie
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
By far the best paleo cookbook I've seen. I am not following the author word for word as there are some things I just can't eat and others that I refuse to eat but there were a lot of recipes in here I'm planning to try. They are very basic though so may not appeal to many and I won't be using flaxseed oil or red wine or.. Quite a few things. BUT I think it was well done.
Soozie Bea
Feb 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Good - except I struggle with FODMAP and other autoimmune problems - which cut me out of most paleo books.

If you find the same: The Paleo Approach, Reverse your autoimmune disease, heal your body by PaleoMom, Sarah Ballantyne I found to hold the keys for my healing!
Crystal
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a good reference, gave some good ideas but the lack of color photographs (literally NONE) really let me down, it's a cookbook, I'm looking for some mouth watering images to get me wanting to cook!
Valerie Kraus
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Own several Paleo books, this one lays out the plan & reasons behind it-but as a cookbook it would be much better with photos. It's hard to get excited about cooking something when there are no photos to inspire you.
AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
Jun 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbook
TCL Call#: 641.5635 CORDAIN L

Madeleine - 1 star
A cookbook with zero pictures = 1 star
I skimmed through the recipes and they seemed rather uninspired as well. I already know to put salsa on salmon.
Lance
Aug 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Got the book at a swap, free. Read some of it. If you are looking for a reason to follow a Paleo Diet this may give it to you. I was not impressed by the information he gave to support the Paleo Diet, or the recipes.
Jana
Jun 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
No pictures in the book which makes the recipes seem bland before you even start reading.
Uses so many ingredients that are not readily available in Australia.. especially some of the meats... I don't think I will be having Bison for breakfast thanks.

DO NOT RECOMMEND.
Devon
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, march11
Obvious advice (don't eat processed foods!) paired with dubious historical claims and some icky looking recipes. (Some did look okay and I will try them - thus the two stars.)
Emi Kanter
May 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh
Cinda
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paleo
More strick that other books I've read on the Paleo diet. The doctor recommended the diet for our son and we only found a handful of recipes that we might try.
Carrie Underwood
Mar 06, 2012 marked it as to-read
still hard, but well writen
Elaine
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a cookbook. I think it should have pictures! Looking for some easy Paleo recipes and I know she is supposed to be good. It is just easier to find recipes online.
Mandy
May 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good recipe book but could have been better if there are beautiful photos for each recipe that would tempt me to try them.
Victoria
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
An interesting philosophy about food. Certainly makes a lot of sense and I'm willing to give it a try.
Watch this Paleo intro video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoq...
Kristie
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great simple recipes
Velvetink
Jan 22, 2013 marked it as to-read
have ebook version
Audrey Custer
May 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My worst enemies
Shelves: cookbooks, paleo
I tried two recipes, both flops. I think that Dr. Cordain should stick to Exercise Science - he's definitely no cook.
Micki
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-and-diet
I felt like this book was a bit dated and didn't follow a lot of the currently espoused "Paleo" principles. Plus, not a lot of recipes grabbed my attention.
Katie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Excited to try some of these recipes out! Yummy.
  • The Primal Blueprint Cookbook: Primal, Low Carb, Paleo, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free
  • Everyday Paleo
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening!: Over 150 Ridiculously Easy Recipes for the Super Busy
  • The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
  • The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-free Meals the Easy Way
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • Paleo Slow Cooking: Gluten Free Recipes Made Simple
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Conscious Eating
  • The Petite Advantage Diet: Achieve That Long, Lean Look. The Specialized Plan for Women 5'4" and Under.
  • Diet Recovery 2: Restoring Mind and Metabolism from Dieting, Weight Loss, Exercise, and Healthy Food
  • The 17 Day Diet: A Doctor's Plan Designed for Rapid Results
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
Loren Cordain, PhD, is one of the world's leading experts and researchers in the area of evolutionary medicine. He is on the faculty of Colorado State University and the author of The Paleo Diet and The Paleo Diet for Athletes. He has been featured on Dateline NBC, in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and other media."
More about Loren Cordain...