Start by marking “The Inaugural Address, 2009” as Want to Read:
The Inaugural Address, 2009

The Inaugural Address, 2009

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Celebrate the inauguration of America's 44th president with this New York Times bestsellerTying into the official theme for the 2009 inaugural ceremony, "A New Birth of Freedom" from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, Penguin presents a keepsake edition commemorating the inauguration of President Barack Obama with words of the two great thinkers and writers who have helped shap ...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Inaugural Address, 2009, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inaugural Address, 2009

Kecia
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obama
Linclon and Obama (and you can't forget Jefferson) are the most eloquent of America's Presidents. This is a lovely little collection of their inaugural speeches, along with the Gettyburg Address, and Emerson thrown in for good measure.

I stood on our national mall on that frigid Janauary day when Barack Obama become our 44th President. I heard this speech surrounded by almost 2 million others. It was a beautiful moment in history. I feel privileged to have witnessed it. This book is the perfect
Maureen
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
"to those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict or blame their society's ills on the west, know that your people will judge you by what you can build, not what you destroy. to those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history, but that we will extend a hand if you will unclench your fist.
"to those people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and clean waters flow;
Desiree
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't usually read transcripts of speeches, but I made an exception. Obama's speech was quite straightforward, a no-nonsense and not too "flowery" kind of speech, so I didn't mind reading it. Abe Lincoln's speeches and Emerson's Self-Reliance added a nice background to it, and I could see how they made an impression on Obama, from his writing.
Andrew
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice little commemorative edition of inaugural along with some lincoln and emerson - hypotaxis vs parataxis holla
Elena
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bello questo discorso di Obama!
Mi era piaciuto vedendolo su internet e ho voluto comprare il libretto :)
David Chabot
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much hope and greatness in these 2 men, until they came into power. Still, a lot is to be learned through these speeches, which are parts of history forever.
Ellee
A pleasure to read! I can hear his voice in my mind's ear(?). It should be required reading every so many months when people start wondering what the government's doing... I think we need to help ourselves too.
Conor
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: others
Barack Obama is an excellent speech writer.
Mmiller400m
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
I don't always agree with what he does, but wanted to reread what he said during the address. Enjoyed the Lincoln addresses.
Stephen
An interesting pairing of essays and speeches with this First Inaugural Address of President Obama's that I recall as compelling. It still is very riveting and relevant.
Yi-han
  • Hope on a Tightrope: Words and Wisdom
  • The American Journey of Barack Obama
  • Talk Dirty to Me
  • Fugitive Days: A Memoir
  • Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents, #14)
  • The Portable Harlem Renaissance Reader
  • Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer
  • Naked in Baghdad: The Iraq War and the Aftermath as Seen by NPR's Correspondent Anne Garrels
  • In the Heart of the Amazon Forest (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Can-Cans, Cats and Cities of Ash (Great Journeys)
  • In Pursuit of Reason: The Life of Thomas Jefferson
Barack Obama was the 44th President of the United States of America. He was the first African-American to be elected President of the United States and was the first to be nominated for President by a major U.S. political party. He was the junior U.S. Senator from Illinois from 2005 until he resigned on November 16, 2008, following his election to the Presidency.

Barack Obama is the son of Barack O
More about Barack Obama...

Nonfiction Deals

• Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • American Gun: A History of the U.S. in Ten Firearms (P.S.)
    $8.24 $2.99
“We cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself...” 9 likes
“the words have been spoken during rising tides of prosperity and the still waters of peace. Yet every so often, the oath is taken amidst gathering clouds and raging storms...” 2 likes