Start by marking “The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas” as Want to Read:
The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas

The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas

“The most powerful spiritual healer, fixer, teacher on the planet.” —Oprah Winfrey

Is it the job you hate but need in order to pay the rent? Is it that relationship that you gave your all to only to end up with a broken heart...again? Perhaps it's your children, a family member, or a life-long friend doing you in, dragging you down, pushing you to the brink. If you are an h
Published November 7th 1996 by Atria Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Value in the Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Value in the Valley

Start your review of The Value in the Valley: A Black Woman's Guide Through Life's Dilemmas
Eden
Aug 25, 2008 added it
This is a book to read and re-read. As a Black woman, I found that many of the issues that are worked on through the pages of this book were familiar to me.
I appreciate Iyanla's spiritual approach to anyone's Higher Power. I have my belief system and other people's differ. It does not make any of us more or less in seach of answers. We each have a right to decide what 'religion' what description of God, fits for us. Mine is Christianity, and this book works for me. It would work for a Muslim wom
Aretha Love
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book is so extraodinary!! I find myself referring back to it as if it was my personal bible... Reading this book has changed my out look on life and the people Im surounded by... YES! Every women should read this book. It does not matter if your white, black or purple. It really doesn't matter if your single, married, or whatever. You will walk away with tones of valuable information, that will allow you to live a health life.. TEN STARS!!!
Alli
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You don't have to be a black woman to appreciate the wonder of this book. I reference it all the time! Thanks to my friend Tara who originally told me about it.
Andrea
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me exactly what I needed at the time I needed it. I don't usually review self help books but I was moved by so much of it that I will probably read this again. I'm reminded of When Things Fall Apart, in that it might take time to absorb all the beauty in here. I'd recommend this to any woman, black/white/otherwise, to read this work at least once.
Shelby
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was in a state of depression that no one was sure I would recover from after a necessary, but devastating breakup with my drug addict boyfriend. My therapist was not helping but then I found this book. I used a highlighter, I cried, I talked to some of the passages as though the women telling their stories were with me, sharing our hurt and hopes for the future. I came clawing out of my depression because of this book. One of the best I have ever read in my life.
BookOfCinz
The Value in the Valley is one of those books you have to read or re-read, especially when you are going a "valley". I love how practical the writing is in this book and how encouraging the writer is.

Life is hard, but there is always a lesson to be learned and that is what I love about it.

This is definitely a book I will revisit again and again.
Ka’leneReads
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GoodRead.....She Too Funny At Times, this read Vanzant offers definitions of points we may find ourselves in at moments in life and offers ways to keep ourselves out of Spiritual Special Ed....lol
Katrina
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book and have been reading it for several years but have not finished it. The reason is that as I read, I get "stuck" in a chapter--usually the chapter discussing the valley I am in. Often, it's the valley of other people's problems! But until I am able to recognize the signs--same situation w/ new faces--I cannot move on. I find the presentation of the material to be very humble and applicable to my life and the journey I am on. Unlike another reviewer, I don't find the information ...more
Lincoln
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A perennial read. Less preachy and more thoughtful than her "Fix My Life" TV show, I think.

Every time I read this book I have a warm chuckle. You see, my late aunt, Diana, was a classmate of Ms. Vanzant's at Medgar Evers college in Brooklyn, NY. I don't know what happened between the two of them, but Aunt Diana couldn't STAND Iyanla Vanzant! She would cuss and carry-on at the mere mention of Ms. Vanzant's name!
I find THE VALUE IN THE VALLEY now, not only my favorite book in Ms Vanzant's collect
Aleatha Terrell
Jul 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
horribly written. I couldn't stomach finishing, not my style at all which is unfortunate because I was excited to read it. Maybe someone else will like it, the book certainly had answers and explanations to live's questions however the colloguial style wasn't for me. The sista homegirl-ness of it coupled with the esoteric "divine" explanations, which were just vague ramblings in my opinion, turned me off.
Jackie
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In life you go through ups in downs, just like high and low valleys. This book made me cry and laugh. I learned to persevere in life and be strong.
Marilyn Diamond
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Every woman needs to read this book. I am getting around to reading it twice. Because I placed myself in some valleys and I want to get out....I'm outta here!
Sherry Grimes-jenkins
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
A must read. It change my view on life and myself.
Orishaz
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal book. I recently re-read this book and it was better then when I read it the first time. It is easy to understand and the scenarios are realistic. I love it.
Aretha Love
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book...
Mykie
Why I read this book:
I’ve been supportive of Iyanla Vanzant’s work for years and she is one of my favorite inspirational people.

Content: 1/1
The book is a guide that documents common life dilemmas and advice on how to deal with the storms or, as Iyanla refers to them, valleys. The book is a hefty documentation of ways to embrace your current situation and to work through the challenges. This is one of the few things I did like about the book and also a big reason I continue to support Iyanla. She
Beverlee
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with wisdom & valuable insight. It took nearly six months for me to finish reading; not because of the material, but because I wasn't ready to receive the information. I definitely agree with anyone who has stated this is a must read. At the core for any of us (especially Black women), we must learn to love self & that can be one of the hardest things to do. ...more
Elaine
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Change comes with pain, if you're not willing & ready.. Be Warned. The stories leapt of the page and became my life story, what I was amazed was how strongly synchronized the writings & lessons matched the events that followed. Almost adding truth to the quotes "What you think on grows" ...more
Naomi
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sharing stories of struggle and encouragement to carry on through long sojourns in challenges, through spiritual growth and self-discovery, Vanzant writes in a confidence-boosting, wise friend, easily accessible way.
Nicole
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was dxcellent. I have gone back a second time to read and discovered key points in which I did not acknowledge my first time around. I have referred back to certain points from time to time to bring me through my valley at moment in time. Great read.
Jani Akilah
Jun 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: all my sistas
Life and Love can be challenging but we must learn from our experiences and everything will workout in duetime once we persevere.
Ayoca
Oct 02, 2008 is currently reading it
I am currently reading this novel, but I can't quite get into it as quickly as I have the other novels that I read by her.
Marilyn
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!! It was my first book read by the author!
Kezia Davis
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book. I read it constantly... Whenever I need to be reminded of who I am, my blessings, how to recover from one of my valley's I open up this book. This book is my inspiration!
Elaine
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Change comes with pain, if you're not willing & ready.. Be Warned. ...more
Zafirah Muhammad
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is for every woman. another Iyanla slam dunk
April Fox
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any women who has ever felt pain!
Katisha Shackelford evans
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read so you can stay on track when you are in the valleys of life. This is a reminder that there's a blessing in every valley. It's up to you to get the lessons and blessings!
Alex
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Iyanla Vanzant is the premier voice in our time.

My go-to book. It helps greatly in the troubles we face in daily life.

Highly recommended.
Gina
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book made a lot of sense, but it was commonsense that is avoided when you are in love.
Live and learn and then get luvs.

• Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now
  • Buddhist Boot Camp
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery
  • True to the Game (True to the Game #1)
  • I Am Not Your Negro
  • Finding My Voice
  • The Rose That Grew from Concrete
  • The Trap (The Butlers #1)
  • Basic Counselling Skills
  • The Life of Lee
  • Nigel Benn
  • The Circle of Fire: Inspiration and Guided Meditations for Living in Love and Happiness
  • The Feud (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #1)
  • You Can't Run: The Terrifying True Story of a Young Woman Trapped in a Violent Relationship
  • The Traitor (Mitchell's & O'Hara's #2)
  • The Kid
  • The Victim (Mitchell's & O'Hara's, #3)
  • My Vanishing Country
In Peace From Broken Pieces New York Times best-selling author Iyanla Vanzant she recounts the last decade of her life and the spiritual lessons learnedfrom the price of success during her meteoric rise as a TV celebrity on Oprah, the Iyanla TV show (produced by Barbara Walters), to the dissolution of her marriage and her daughters 15 months of illness and death on Christmas day. Like a phoenix ri ...more

News & Interviews

“Their issues are not your issues.” 45 likes
“Courage is a tool and a weapon. With just a little, you can build your life and use it to fend for yourself in the world. It” 0 likes